NEW ! Stormbolt earphone from apollo audio lab - thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

radi9red

New Head-Fier
last month,my brother who knows I had a quirk for unique earphones bought me a unique xmas gift. it was a pair of stainless steel earphones -from a company - Apollo audio lab.   I have never heard of this brand before, nor seen it in audio stores in hongkong or japan.   My brother said this is a " heavy bass"  model, comparing to other  models they had.   It use dual diapghram driver speaker.   I was anticipating audio technical CK or sony heavy bass series type of audio output.  but it was not.  I will explain it more.

Her's how it looks straight out from the box

It has a black heavy duty carrying box , 6 sets of tips, a metallic/steel warranty card, product & user instructional guide, and of course the earphone itself.

My 1st impression : The earphones weighs when holding it, and putting it onto myears, I can feel it's presence. Switching to other earphones that are mostly plastic, yeah the stainless definitely has authority. however its pretty comfortable after a while and i didnt get bothered by the weight after listening to 30 mins or so.  The entire earphones were  made from stainless steel. 

her's how it looks like. entirely steel earphones !! never seen one like this before.    the tips are coloured grey blue and grey red. according to the user guide, red is right and blue is left. The cables are braided.  i look closelu and there is 4 wires to be precise near to the jack.

Audio output - Hook it up to my ibasso dx50 and also Samsung phone direct. Played a few albums of different genres- mostly rock and pop.  I tried using o2 portable amp, it didn't sound much different. anyway the earphone is 40+ ohms, and ibasso or handphone seems to do the job.   However, on Samsung handphone , I need to swith to 75% volume .. other earphones IEMs is around 65%.

Bass & low frequency:   wooo ! it is very impressive. bass is very tight and I can feel every woomph of every pop beat on my ears. it's like a mini sub-woofer on my ears.   its not the typical sony or audio technical ck series where the bass is very fat , muffled and goes on forever. This  stormbolt  bass is more like sub bass, shorter and tight.  I quite like this as it is suitable for pop and slow rock music. and I really hated bass that are overly long, fat and exaggerate

vocals & middle frequency: The clarity is good, not muffled, not fat or excessive cold or warm.   Its accurate with excellent details and full bodied.Sound stage is above average. The clarity & precision is almost close 70% to my balanced arm IEM ( westone um3x and shure).  Mid frequency really reminds me of my other seinheisser IE 80.    I was quite surprise because most dynamic driver earphone I expect it the clarity to suffer but maybe the dual diahpgram technology helps here.  not sure too, i'm not an expert.

high frequencies :  quite good also, I can hear cymbals and high guitar/violin notes pretty well.it is quite natural. There are some iems that is annoying because the high is way too obvious.   this earphone is quite balanced. there is no harshness or sibilance in tracks that I usually had issues with BA iems. 

cable noise :  no.  the material is quite soft. however the cable tangle up rather easily. I think braided cable like the blue colour cable of ue900 also has same problem getting tangle.

Overall , I quite like this. audio wise it seems to do a excellent job on bass and mids. good job on high freiqnecy. . It has tight and good bass, and clear mids and highs.  It has the pros of a good dynamic earphone and also 70% clarity of BA iems.  recently I wore it to work and because its stainless steel and it really shines ! in bright daylight outdoor, my colleague were quite curious about this when they saw it.  The disadvantage is i'm always worried that it will get scratched and spoilt the shiny stainless steel surface when I stuff this in my pocket, the black carrying box is too big for the earphone alone. maybe I got to get a leather pouch or something.

I will keep this for rock/pop/vocal/dance songs where I think it has very good performance oveall and it's also quite rare to find others using it. 

The website where it has the specifications - http://apolloaudiolab.com

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Seen those too. Apollo Audio lab has only 2 BA earphones.one of them is 6 BA, the other is 8 BA ! the black one should be the viper 8 that you are referring to

They look like custom to me initially, then I realize it has rubber replacable earbuds,  and looking into the website, it says universal eartips,  so that's not custom molded to ear impression. Might be a good thing since the problem with custom IEM, once you got it made to fit your ear, if you don't like the sound or got tired of them, it cannot be sold to others without a custom re-shell. it's a expensive hobby.

all the multi-ba earphones are so expensive!
the shure 846 and jh 16 are 8 BA I recalled, around usd $1000-1100? 
this viper 8 is USD 780.   

Im still quite happy with my westone um3x. hahah

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 11
  Just wondering how do you compare this stormbolt earphone from apollo audio lab to seinheiser ie80 or earphones that are below $200?

Hi RagnarB,  the sound characteristics of this stormbolt is different.  from what I know, Stormbolt earphone uses dual diaphragm within one speaker unit -which has a crossover circuitry ,  whereas IE80 is using a single speaker unit.  

Sound wise it will be unfair for me to state which has the upperhand.I can confidently tell you that after listening to it for over 2weeks now on a a daily basis - over 100 hours now, the stormbolt has fast/deep impactful bass and slightly forward mids but with pretty wide soundstage and sufficient high details for critical listening.  The sound dynamics is quite wide, possibly because of the dual diaphragm, unlike some lower end earphones which some music sound flat , linear & boring.. however the stormbolt dynamics always sound pretty interesting.  I manage to pick up some extra details in bass/mids and high that I never notice before in regular tracks I listened to.

IE80 has always been a consistently good performer in all genres. With that bass tuning port, its very versatile.
if you have the extra cash, buy both ?
if you can only choose one, you have to see which interests you more ? design wise, material, appearance etc.

I might end up buying another earphone from Apollo Audio Lab website- possibly woodbolt - as I never had a wood shell earphone. waiting for this month salary. grin !

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 11
thanks mate for your advice. last night i bought the Viper 6, 6 Balanced armature from their online site. I'm can't wait to get my hands on it. The customer service folks says it will take 3 days for the package to reach me ! I'll post a review once i get my hands on that. woohoo !

Jan 24, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 11
thanks mate for your advice. last night i bought the Viper 6, 6 Balanced armature from their online site. I'm can't wait to get my hands on it. The customer service folks says it will take 3 days for the package to reach me ! I'll post a review once i get my hands on that. woohoo !

Hi ragnarblade,  had you received your Viper 6 balanced armature earphones ?

LOL .. I spent my salary on buying their Woodbolt Earphone with the special promotion offer of getting the cables upgraded to silver plated 8 braided version.
it was a no brainer since the  upgrade at promotional rate is a dollar.  The cable usual price was $120 !  - I confirmed that the cable is identical to the removable ones on the Viper 6.
with the exception that it's now permanently attached to my woodbolt earphone.

A pity that the stormbolt earphones that I got as xmas gift from my brother was the original cable.   The upgraded ones which is 8 wired braided looks really beautiful !   Silver plated might sound different too ! not sure if it's better.

It was shipped to my doorstep this morning by courier. I'll play it for a day or two before writing a review !   Burning in now !

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 11

Hi ragnarblade,  had you received your Viper 6 balanced armature earphones ?

LOL .. I spent my salary on buying their Woodbolt Earphone with the special promotion offer of getting the cables upgraded to silver plated 8 braided version.
it was a no brainer since the  upgrade at promotional rate is a dollar.  The cable usual price was $120 !  - I confirmed that the cable is identical to the removable ones on the Viper 6.
with the exception that it's now permanently attached to my woodbolt earphone.

A pity that the stormbolt earphones that I got as xmas gift from my brother was the original cable.   The upgraded ones which is 8 wired braided looks really beautiful !   Silver plated might sound different too ! not sure if it's better.

It was shipped to my doorstep this morning by courier. I'll play it for a day or two before writing a review !   Burning in now !

Yes, I have to pick it from the local post office.  I missed the parcel delivery yesterday.
I am so excited !

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey guys,just managed to sneak in some time to pen my thoughts on the Apollo Audio Lab Viper 6.My final year thesis is driving me nuts!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/756058/review-of-apollo-audio-labs-viper-6-6-ba-drivers-universal-in-ear-monitor#post_11346717

Users who are viewing this thread

Back