New Steven Wilson album in February!
Mar 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #64 of 100
Was FLAC version of Raven available on day one of release @ Burning Shed?  I know I purchased 24/96 FLAC some time after release.  Just trying to gauge how long I'll have to wait before Hand.Cannot.Erase can be downloaded there.

Mar 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #65 of 100
Was FLAC version of Raven available on day one of release @ Burning Shed?  I know I purchased 24/96 FLAC some time after release.  Just trying to gauge how long I'll have to wait before Hand.Cannot.Erase can be downloaded there.

I emailed Burning Shed last week about just that question. I just received a reply from Marta at Burning Shed.

A 24/96 FLAC of Hand.Cannot.Erase should be available BY THE END OF THIS WEEK!

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #67 of 100

I emailed Burning Shed last week about just that question. I just received a reply from Marta at Burning Shed.

A 24/96 FLAC of Hand.Cannot.Erase should be available BY THE END OF THIS WEEK!

Awesome, thank you!!  Cannot wait to buy the 24/96.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #68 of 100
Very good album, I like the concept. Sound quality is pretty darn fantastic, (which pretty much everything is that Steven Wilson is involved in). 3 Years Older and Routine got some of the best moments IMO.

Mar 7, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #73 of 100
Huh, on HDTracks but not Burning Shed....is that typical?

No and personally I would not trust HDTracks. For example they are selling a high res of The Yes Album by Yes. Unfortunately, it is not the Steven Wilson remix just check the playlist.

I have a redbook 16/44 of Hand.Cannot.Erase to tide me over until Burning Shed sells the 24/96.

Edit: looking at the HDTracks version they compressed three of the tracks together so instead of 11 tracks HDTracks has only 8. Same length but few total songs. It is a concept album and those song fit together but I am curious why they edited the album.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #74 of 100

Huh, on HDTracks but not Burning Shed....is that typical?

No and personally I would not trust HDTracks. For example they are selling a high res of The Yes Album by Yes. Unfortunately, it is not the Steven Wilson remix just check the playlist.

I have a redbook 16/44 of Hand.Cannot.Erase to tide me over until Burning Shed sells the 24/96.

Edit: looking at the HDTracks version they compressed three of the tracks together so instead of 11 tracks HDTracks has only 8. Same length but few total songs. It is a concept album and those song fit together but I am curious why they edited the album.

Well, I was impatient, so I went ahead & bought from HDtracks (yeah, I have read soem unflattering things about them, but I did so anyway).  Using their downloading app on my Mac...and track #7 (Ancestral) is stuck at 9% and I am using zero bandwidth to download anything right now.  :sigh:  Looks like I might have wasted $18

EDIT:  I got the download from HDtracks sorted out and am listening right now (only on track 4 of 8 right now).  I am liking this so far, but it hasn't grabbed quite like Raven did on first listen.  I'm interested in the whole 8 vs. 11 tracks thing.  Steve will likely get more of my money if Burning Shed has a 96/24 FLAC download w/ 11 tracks.

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #75 of 100

HDTracks gets slagged.  A lot. I admit, I think they could do  better job catering to us OCD head-fi audiophile types, but a good portion of the slagging is unfair.  They really are at the mercy of the Record Labels regarding the master recording.  Could they do a better job of disclosure?  Sure.  But what, maybe 5 to 10% of us actually care about the details?  And the other 90% would probably just be confused, which could hurt their bottom line, which they have a right to pursue.

I downloaded the whole album in about 7 minutes, over a wireless router, with absolutely no problem.  Yes, I am geeky enough to compare the download to the Blu-ray with my Primes and Benchmark DAC/Burson Soloist amp: a rig worthy of such a test, IMHO. But the responsibility of being an informed consumer lies with me.  I do trust that HDTracks got a real 24/96 recording of this album, and I want to support the real thing when I can from an outlet like this.

In the meantime, I bought it, I downloaded it, and later I'm going to listen to it from my laptop into a Modi/Magi stack with the Primes, and maybe the HE-400i's.  And no one in the world will care except for a couple of people in this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back