New Squeezebox around the corner?
Mar 24, 2007 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
The white SB3 is selling for $249 through Memorial Day. That's a pretty steep cut for just discontinuing a color. Has anyone heard rumors about an imminent model refresh?

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 14
I don't see why they would only make the white model cheaper if they were going to update it. That just wouldn't make sense.

(is it white or silver anyways)

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 14
iirc they may release a cosmetic update the the Transporter with a few tweaks, but other than that there are no announced plans. i will look for my source on the Transporter update, it may or may not be valid. just had that in the back of my head.

Mar 24, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The white SB3 is selling for $249 through Memorial Day. That's a pretty steep cut for just discontinuing a color. Has anyone heard rumors about an imminent model refresh?

No, but it seems like there SHOULD be one. The original Squeezebox was released November 2003, the Squeezebox 2 followed about 18 months later (with the Squeezebox G display upgrade somewhere in between there), and the Squeezebox 3 (cosmetic restyle) another 6 months later in November 2005.

So we're at the 18 month point, and haven't seen any significant upgrade on the SB3, which is a long time for Slim to go without changes to the line-up. (Though, obviously, they did add the Transporter, so it's not like they've been sitting on their thumbs.)

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 14
mkozlows, indeed the Transporter is like a new Squeezebox sort of speak. It would be good to have something cheaper though.
But as they can't even produce these enough (black Transporter orders on delay 3-4 weeks) don't expect them to design something new so soon, especially something more price efficient that would lower the Transporter sales.

Mar 28, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 14
As far as I can tell the SB3 is pretty much a product without equal in the current market so I see precious little that makes me think they'll revise the design any time soon. I'm more in the camp hoping that they'll decide to make a bridge between the SB3 and Transporter and keep it singled ended to cut the cost in half. For now I'm forced to add an external DAC to get where I want to be.

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 14
What with the Logitec deal, my guess (a total guess) is that theyll be working on a whole new one. But don't expect it soon; my guess is that they be working on a significatly bitchiner one with their new found partner. Persanally I'vr got mine and I'm happy as a clam.

Mar 28, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, what is the cost of the SB+ ?

I once checked the price and it is 800 GBP for only digital input and 1000 GBP for both analogue and digital inputs

Mar 28, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 14
I was about to say that they will wait until the new wi-fi protocol 11n is released but I just checked and according to wikipedia:

"According to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Project Timelines, the estimated 802.11n publish date is now October 2008."

So I guess there will be an update before that (or not?)

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Ah, any upgrade would be 11n compatibility
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What with the Logitec deal, my guess (a total guess) is that theyll be working on a whole new one. But don't expect it soon; my guess is that they be working on a significatly bitchiner one with their new found partner. Persanally I'vr got mine and I'm happy as a clam.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back