New speakers
Jun 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Andeby

Head-Fier
Probably a question that gets asked quite a bit here, but oh well.
I currently have a quite large and expensive hifi system (Xindak XA6950 amp, PSB Imagine 6T speakers and an XTZ 99 W10.16 subwoofer) but for many reasons I am considering selling this and getting something both smaller and simpler. I am fully aware that it will probably be a step back quality-wise no matter what I get unless I go for something in the same price range as this is worth which I can't.

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard, and besides speakers I also use a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm.

I like good sound quality, but I also like there to be some noticeable bass. One of the problems with having a system of the likes of my current one is that it's just too much work to make it sound like it should. I don't really have the interest anymore to move things around and look into ways to improve my room to make my equipment perform at its best. Right now I have my eyes fixed on Edifier S730, which to me looks like one of the best choices around. Anyone here have any experience with this system? Anything in the price-range that can beat it in sound quality and be compareable in bass?

I mostly listen to rap music, and sometimes trance/dnb and the likes.

My max budget would be something like $400-500 (I'm from Norway so that's an assumption, prices in the US and Norway differ more than currency but I think around that would be right).

I was looking into the possiblity of some small speakers and a simpler and a bit cheaper amp as well instead of a system but looks like that quickly surpasses my budget, and might end up with the same problems of having to work a lot with it and never feel like it performs how it should.

So I hope what I write makes sense, it's nearly 5am. :p

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 5
As nobody has responded yet, I guess I'll put in my opinion. I personally use an Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/amp (~$150) and a pair of KRK rokit 5s (~$150 each). Now it's true that this doesn't include a subwoofer, and is at about $450, but I've never thought that they needed it. This makes for a very simple setup (plugging in all of 4 wires, plus they are front ported, so your room setup shouldn't matter as much) that I think sounds very good, though I'm sure it's a downgrade from the setup you've got now.

If you like more low end than that, you could always upgrade to the rokit 6s (6 inch woofer vs the 5 inch woofer on the rokit 5s), though that would be above your budget at about $550. I'm not sure how simple you're trying to go, but if you think you'll still want a subwoofer, you may have to find some cheaper speakers to fit it into your budget. that edifier setup seems nice, though I have no experience with it.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
As nobody has responded yet, I guess I'll put in my opinion. I personally use an Audinst HUD-MX1 DAC/amp (~$150) and a pair of KRK rokit 5s (~$150 each). Now it's true that this doesn't include a subwoofer, and is at about $450, but I've never thought that they needed it. This makes for a very simple setup (plugging in all of 4 wires, plus they are front ported, so your room setup shouldn't matter as much) that I think sounds very good, though I'm sure it's a downgrade from the setup you've got now.

If you like more low end than that, you could always upgrade to the rokit 6s (6 inch woofer vs the 5 inch woofer on the rokit 5s), though that would be above your budget at about $550. I'm not sure how simple you're trying to go, but if you think you'll still want a subwoofer, you may have to find some cheaper speakers to fit it into your budget. that edifier setup seems nice, though I have no experience with it.

Thanks for your reply.
I looked up the KRK Rokit 5s speakers, and could only find some called KRK Rokit RP-5 and KRK Rokit RP-5 G2. Does the speaker go by several names or is this a different but similar speaker?

Also, I couldn't find Audinst at all on the Norwegian market. :frowning2:

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 5
both of the ones you mention are the correct product, and the g2 is just short for generation 2. If they're the same price I'd go for the g2's but I don't think there's much difference between them. I actually had some trouble finding anything from audinst as well. You can buy it from audinst.com but if you want something local you could also look into the nuforce uDAC 2. I used to have the uDAC 2 and I wrote a review for it on here somewhere if you'd like to look. It's cheaper and probably easier to find, though I'd recommend the audinst over it.

Jul 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah G2 model even cost a bit less, not sure really. The shops that had them aren't exactly shops I've heard of but I'll keep them in mind anyways.

I also found two more possible choices.
First I found this one:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/iPod-and-Computer-Speakers/MM-1/overview.html

They look incredible, very good reviews, but I fear that with those I would end up missing some bass. And I doubt you can add in a subwoofer with them?

And then I found something quite interesting:
http://www.xtz.se/uk/products/dsp-speakers-/-multimedia/mh-800-dsp-white

Also has great reviews, look nice, seems very flexible if I ever want to replace something and I can add in my 10" XTZ sub to the system if I want to try that instead of selling the sub.

Right now I am favoring this XTZ set a lot, seeing as it comes with DSP with software it might be much easier to integrate the system properly to my room, and since I will have this system on my desk instead of the other side of the room then it might be even easier.

I guess XTZ is not that known on this forum? But B&W probably is? Any comments on any of these systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back