new source?
May 31, 2002 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

zzz

500+ Head-Fier
More than a half of my listening currently happens at work through Sony D-EJ725 to TA to DT831, and my ears are really getting tired of this combo. So I've been thinking about getting a new source and an amp to replace them (I impulsively took care of the 'phones already: ATH-W2002 are coming here tomorrow :wink:). After some research, I put a list of the following names:

* NAD C541i
* Rega Planet CD
* Arcam Alpha 9 CD
* Music Hall MMF CD-25
* Linn Mimik
* Linn Genki

Anyone has any comments about these units? Any additions to the list (I'm looking for something under $1k USD; couldn't care less about multichannel, SACD, HCDC, or DVD-A since it looks like everything I listen to was only released on plain vanilla redbook CDs; don't mind used stuff, given it works alright) are welcome too.

And yes, I probably wouldn't have a chance of auditioning any single one of those players before buying.

May 31, 2002 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 30
Both the Sony SCD-C333ES and DVP-S9000ES could fit into your budget too.

If you can't audition, then it's particularly important to state what kind of sound you're looking.

May 31, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 30
OMG, this thread has been hijacked by team sony! :wink:

Try also looking at some of the Meridan options. They make some really nice CDPs!

May 31, 2002 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 30
Ok, I'll put in my vote for the NAD C541i. When I was auditioning players, the only one that I liked better was the Arcam DiVA CD72, but the retailer wanted MSRP which is more than twice the NAD. Then again, with your budget, you might want to consider that as well.

Or, check out Jaskin's Arcam Alpha 9 in the For Sale forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 30
Buy a good player, but don't break the bank. 2, or 3 years later there will be something better for less money. Listen to these players yourself before you buy, and make sure you budget in good interconnects also. Good luck!

May 31, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 30
Those Linns kick major butt, but are expensive. You can get a Linn Classik whose street price is dropping toward 1K now that a HT version is out. This box includes a very nice cdp, an excellent integrated amp AND a tuner. If you could use radio at work too, this might clinch it. Finally, the Classik has a pretty good headphone jack--I'll be it does as well as the TA, though not as well as a $300 amp...
All the choices you list probably outclass your TA--sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #8 of 30
Pick up that used Alpha 9. It is a great deal at that price and should compliment your W2002 very nicely as both components are known for their detail.

May 31, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 30
rule out the vanilla rega planet, its a dud in my books. if you are used to the sony warmer bass becareful of the more neutral/brighter cdp like the arcam.

May 31, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Those Linns kick major butt, but are expensive. You can get a Linn Classik whose street price is dropping toward 1K now that a HT version is out. This box includes a very nice cdp, an excellent integrated amp AND a tuner. If you could use radio at work too, this might clinch it. Finally, the Classik has a pretty good headphone jack--I'll be it does as well as the TA, though not as well as a $300 amp...
All the choices you list probably outclass your TA--sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

I can get used Linn Mimik for $500 and Arcam Alpha 9 for $700-800. How would these two players compare? Nobody seems to be putting them side by side for comparison which is at least strange, given they have nearly the same MRSPs.

I'm not looking for any sound in particular, but I prefer musical over analytical ten times out of ten.

May 31, 2002 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 30
Given that choice of used models, I'd choose according to my best guess about their age and used condition. CD players are easier to mess up than amps. If you think the condition is exactly equal, I'd take the cheaper and use the savings for ICs or whatever.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 30
IMO, if you buy an expensive CDP that plays neither DVD-A or SACD, you have just thrown your money away. It's already obsolete, and when that finally sinks in 12-18 months from now, no one will want to buy your Redbook only CDP.

markl

May 31, 2002 at 9:57 PM Post #13 of 30
markl, in the past I would've agreed. But after tasting SACDs, I've got to say that there's simply no way in hell CDs are going to become obsolete within a year, or even within the next 3-5 years. The problem is simply in trying to replace the absolutely enormous amount of CDs that are out there today in the world overnight. That's just not going to happen. Ultimately I realised, like most SACD player owners do eventually, that I simply play and continue to buy WAY more CDs to even be concerned about SACDs right now. Thus I'd rather get a superior redbook player NOW then to have to sit by with a SACD player with subpar redbook, just for the sake of "supporting SACDs". With Sony making the move to actually convert all their CDs into hybrid SACDs, I think they're making the right move towards trying to "replace CDs overnight". And with that move I don't think it's likely SACDs will die off...I think SACDs are past that danger point already. I really think at this point, that is what it requires before SACDs will get anywhere. But again, I don't predict SACDs completely swallowing up the CD market, if they do things this way and assuming other recording companies even follow suit, for another 3-5 years, if not much longer. By then buying a seperate SACD player would be no problemo. But I want superior redbook playback NOW.

May 31, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 30
Hi Vert,
I think your basic premise is wrong, and it seems to be a bit of a mantra around here that SACD players make lousy Redbook players. I don't believe this is so, on the contrary, my now imfamous position is that all other things being equal, a $1000 SACD player will *in general* outperform a comparably priced CDP on old-fashioned CDs. That's my position and I'm sticking to it.

Also, it's not that in 12-18 months that the world will have suddenly converted to the new formats, it's that people will continue to be educated about the formats and more and more and more CDP manufactuerers will be converting over to support the new formats.

My prediction is that in 2 years time you will not be able to buy a CD-only player. Then, who are you going to find to buy your $1K Redbook only CDP? No one.

markl

May 31, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Hi Vert,
I think your basic premise is wrong, and it seems to be a bit of a mantra around here that SACD players make lousy Redbook players. I don't believe this is so, on the contrary, my now imfamous position is that all other things being equal, a $1000 SACD player will *in general* outperform a comparably priced CDP on old-fashioned CDs. That's my position and I'm sticking to it.

My prediction is that in 2 years time you will not be able to buy a CD-only player. Then, who are you going to find to buy your $1K Redbook only CDP? No one.

I'm going to be an SACD player owner that will be receiving a comparably priced CD only player real soon. And I will still have the 9000ES in the house with the comparably priced CD only player. I'm looking forward to seeing who beats who in redbook.
cool.gif

It's been five years already since the introduction of the format and nobody has yet to make an SACD or DVD-A player with superior redbook to everything around its price range, much less one that can do all formats and sound better than everything around it regardless of price. Until that day comes, I wouldn't hold my breath about not seeing redbook only players around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back