New sound card sounds smoothed over
post-13510995
Post #1 of 8

luxxum

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Due to a problem with my computer's audio jack, I have had to use the external sound card that came packaged with a pair of g430 headphones I bought several years ago. Recently it started to fail on me, so I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy Rx sound card to replace it. However, the new sound card sounds worse than the (assumedly) crappy external one.

I don't have the vocabulary to explain what is wrong with it, so I'll give some examples:

in
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLYGnCcakpw

the new sound card smooths over any "bite" that the cymbals had at 00:07, taking any of jaggedness out of it. the cymbals in general sound more like a stream than individual hits.

and in

at 00:30, it sound like there is... some kind of white noise laced in with everything? And everything sounds a little flatter. Everything sounds like it has less resolution.

I have disabled the onboard audiocard and downloaded the latest drivers, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any idea what might be going on? If it matters, the headphones I am using are ATH-M40x's.

Thanks

post-13512084
Post #2 of 8

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Likely high output impedance on the Audigy RX, and then the Logitech either has low output impedance or it has high output impedance but has a different effect on that particular headphone. It could also be software tuning, like how different firmware versions affect some DAPs' sound.

post-13512442
Post #3 of 8

yage

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
One thing to check - do you have 'Stereo Direct / Bit Accurate' mode enabled in the Audigy control panel (page 33 of the manual)? This only works for PCM input with a 44.1, 48, 96 or 192kHz sampling rate.

Note: I do not own an Audigy sound card.

post-13512510
Post #4 of 8

luxxum

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Likely high output impedance on the Audigy RX, and then the Logitech either has low output impedance or it has high output impedance but has a different effect on that particular headphone. It could also be software tuning, like how different firmware versions affect some DAPs' sound.
That's what I get for not doing enough research I suppose. So for a 35 ohm pair of headphones you should have around 4 ohms impedance on the amp, and the Rx has an impedance of... 600 ohms? OK then. I have also been told it could be interference from my graphics card as well. Do you think that is likely? If so, I suppose I'll need to find an external dac/amp.

Last edited:
post-13512515
Post #5 of 8

luxxum

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
One thing to check - do you have 'Stereo Direct / Bit Accurate' mode enabled in the Audigy control panel (page 33 of the manual)? This only works for PCM input with a 44.1, 48, 96 or 192kHz sampling rate.

Note: I do not own an Audigy sound card.
just did it, and it did help a little. thanks!

post-13513401
Post #6 of 8

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
So for a 35 ohm pair of headphones you should have around 4 ohms impedance on the amp, and the Rx has an impedance of... 600 ohms?
I dont think that's the output impedance on that soundcard, but that's the load impedance its product blurb will vaguely but confidently claim it can handle.

OK then. I have also been told it could be interference from my graphics card as well. Do you think that is likely? If so, I suppose I'll need to find an external dac/amp.
There's an easy way to check that - run your music player but don't hit play. Set volume to max, then run a benchmarking app to load the GPU. If there's no noise then it's not interference from the GPU.

post-13524302
Post #7 of 8

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
That's what I get for not doing enough research I suppose. So for a 35 ohm pair of headphones you should have around 4 ohms impedance on the amp, and the Rx has an impedance of... 600 ohms? OK then. I have also been told it could be interference from my graphics card as well. Do you think that is likely? If so, I suppose I'll need to find an external dac/amp.
I'm sure the Audify RX's headphone output jack does not have an output impedance of 600-Ohms, Creative just claims it will drive 600-Ohm headphones.
While the RX's output impedance might not be a low as one would like, I doubt the audio quality issue is an impedance issue.
If your big on FPS gaming, replace the Audigy RX with a Sound Blaster Z card.
If more into music (stereo audio) check out the FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/amp

post-13525465
Post #8 of 8

luxxum

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I'm sure the Audify RX's headphone output jack does not have an output impedance of 600-Ohms, Creative just claims it will drive 600-Ohm headphones.
While the RX's output impedance might not be a low as one would like, I doubt the audio quality issue is an impedance issue.
If your big on FPS gaming, replace the Audigy RX with a Sound Blaster Z card.
If more into music (stereo audio) check out the FiiO Q1 USB-DAC/amp
gotcha, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)