new sony XB500s. problem?
Feb 4, 2011 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cw007

New Head-Fier
i just got a pair of sony xb500s and i need help in determining if theres a problem with them. whenever i press on the right side of the headphone with it on, it makes a clicking noise. im not sure how to describe it, but its almost like the clicking from a glass bottle lid when you play with it. im not sure if thats normal or if its a problem with this specific pair. can anyone test this with theirs to see if they get a similar result?

when i bought it, i wasnt sure if it was already opened or not since the packaging of these headphones makes it really easy to put back in the box and return if necessary.

any input? thanks.

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 6
I often press lightly on the sides when putting them on to get a better seal and I haven't heard any noises. I've tried other headphones that made annoying noises from the headband though when expanding it or when shaking the head while they are on etc, XB500/700 were dead silent.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 6
thanks for the reply.

the issue seems to be intermittent and isnt always reproducible. i may exchange them just because i can but i want to just burn these ones in to see if the sound is really something i like. coming from a pair of shures that are considered bright, its a major difference (my main genres though are bass-heavy like house, trance, and hip hop). as of right now (only about 10 hours of use max), i find them too muddy but i heard they really improve when burnt in. after about 100 hours i'll try EQing them and make a decision then.

has anyone else experienced the clicking problem in the original post?

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Yea they are a bit "muddy" sounding out of box mainly due to the very warm overall presentation with excessive upper bass emphasize and somewhat veiled highs and will improve after burn in but even more so by EQing ofc. I'd recommend the following EQ shape for these:

excel graph:

You may need bigger changes as these are the settings for my 1000hrs+ used XB500 but the shape of it how the different frequencies should compare to each other should still be relevant. I've used a similar shape from start, just changed the values a bit over time, especially the boost for highs has been lowered.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
i just got a pair of sony xb500s and i need help in determining if theres a problem with them. whenever i press on the right side of the headphone with it on, it makes a clicking noise. im not sure how to describe it, but its almost like the clicking from a glass bottle lid when you play with it. im not sure if thats normal or if its a problem with this specific pair. can anyone test this with theirs to see if they get a similar result?

when i bought it, i wasnt sure if it was already opened or not since the packaging of these headphones makes it really easy to put back in the box and return if necessary.

any input? thanks.

This issue is actually mentioned in the documentation that accompanies the headphones. Mine do it too, it's a side effect of the great seal that the huge squishy pads provide. Nothing to worry about fellow basshead :wink:

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 6
just looked thru it and saw that. i probably should have looked earlier but i was too eager to try these things out. thanks a lot for the help.

Quote:
Quote:

any input? thanks.

This issue is actually mentioned in the documentation that accompanies the headphones. Mine do it too, it's a side effect of the great seal that the huge squishy pads provide. Nothing to worry about fellow basshead :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back