new Sony XB50 & XB70
May 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 69
Saw the XB50 at a local Future Shop so decided to see what they were like. So $62 later I was trying them on. I got the red pair.

Out of the box I am very impressed with the mids and the treble. The bass is definitely there but is a bit one noted. But I do know that the bass changes the most and the quickest so am hopeful it gets a bit tighter and possibly a bit less prominent with use. I have to say I like them a lot better than the last bass designed Sony. It has not sacrificed everything just for bass.

I also am finding the design to be very comfortable and quite good from a micro phonics perspective. Being a hang down design it's not perfect but it is pretty good, certainly above average. It also had a new type of tip as compared to the typical Sony hybrid, I noticed this on some other recent Sony pictures so assume this is a change Sony is making maybe model wise. I like the new tips, they seem as comfortable as the old design but a bit stiffer.

Overall I would say this is a very good bass head IEM that gives good performance in all areas.

I will do some am A/B comparisons to my XBA-H1 in a couple of days to see how this model stacks up to it sibling.

May 4, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 69
Not sure every will be able to do this but I can wear these over ear and still get a good seal with comfort and the little bit of microphonics goes away.

Have to say these are really growing on me signature wise. If the bass starts to exhibit a bit more detail and texture these will be a heck of a nice IEM.

May 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #20 of 69
I do hope I run across these in a store sometime soon.  I don't quite feel like ordering them, but I bet I'd impulse buy the heck out of it :)

May 4, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 69
LOL, I was in the same boat :)

I certainly wouldn't have bought them online, but impulse buy... ya that was going to (and did) happen.

I think I will put these on a heavy duty burn in tonight and see if the bass tightens up a bit.

May 5, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #22 of 69
I don't know about anyone else, but I found the mids and treble to be significantly recessed. They sound nice and detailed, but the bass definitely takes center stage. The FX3X I have have almost as much base, and much more forward mids and treble.

Both IEMS are nice, but I feel the 3X have a nice balance between bass and everything else the XB50s are missing.

PS. Nearly at 72 hours of burning and no discernible changes. On the other hand, I got a pair of the PS VITA iems and they are pretty boss for a sub 20 CAD pair.

May 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 69
  new video!  In case you guys are interested.  :wink:  The new XB70 certainly have more details than XB60.  A good update to the XB60.  I like em'.

Awesome video! Thanks :D

The XB50 are definitely in Canada. Haven't seen the XB70 though :frowning2:

My impressions of the 50 are here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/717002/sony-mrd-xb50-all-of-your-basses-all-of-them

Excuse the noob attempts at describing the sound quality, haha.

May 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 69
Saw the XB50 at a local Future Shop so decided to see what they were like. So $62 later I was trying them on. I got the red pair.

Out of the box I am very impressed with the mids and the treble. The bass is definitely there but is a bit one noted. But I do know that the bass changes the most and the quickest so am hopeful it gets a bit tighter and possibly a bit less prominent with use. I have to say I like them a lot better than the last bass designed Sony. It has not sacrificed everything just for bass.

I also am finding the design to be very comfortable and quite good from a micro phonics perspective. Being a hang down design it's not perfect but it is pretty good, certainly above average. It also had a new type of tip as compared to the typical Sony hybrid, I noticed this on some other recent Sony pictures so assume this is a change Sony is making maybe model wise. I like the new tips, they seem as comfortable as the old design but a bit stiffer.

Overall I would say this is a very good bass head IEM that gives good performance in all areas.

I will do some am A/B comparisons to my XBA-H1 in a couple of days to see how this model stacks up to it sibling.

thank you for the initial impression. which previous Sony bass IEM did you have previously? also, comparison to the H1 would def help me get a picture of the sound, as i have that as well.

May 5, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #26 of 69
I can't remember the model, it was one that was kinda round in the body, I will check when I get home. I also will do the H1 comparison.

May 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #28 of 69
I have the xb60, and I had to laugh at just how much the mid and treble was sacrificed in favor of increased bass.  It was basically a portable earthquake machine.

May 5, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #29 of 69
I am pretty sure mine were xb60 as well. I still have them so will do a quick comparison.

May 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #30 of 69
OK the XB50 has a bit more clarity in almost all aspects over the XB60 including bass but they are iterations of the same sound.

The H1 is also a similar signature with slightly less bass and more detail in the treble region. Theidrange has a fair amount of similarity. The XB50 has enough similarity I think it is a good budget option or second more portable phone friendly option to the H1 due to the higher efficeniency and mic/button. Some might also like the softer treble more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back