NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 18, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #1,336 of 4,019

I've been very lucky selling my two WM-Z's to two terrific buyers (Yann & Fortis) dealing with both was straight forward & easy.....
beerchug.gif

Sometimes a sale becomes a lil more meaningful and so it was with Fortis, I had a few probs with my Z1070 (my probs not the Z's) but managed to get some decent tunes on it before I sent it to Fortis, I didn't get to put all of the Albums on that I said I would so I sent the actual CD's along with the WM-Z.... today I received my Albums back along with a humongously duct taped 'emergency music' CD spindle filled with music..... sorry Fortis but it's one of those rainy-days & Christmas really is too far off so the duct tape has been ripped to shreds and all warnings have been eschewed and am now nosing through 25+ CD's..... this has been all the more pleasurable because a Album I'd been waiting on also arrived via Mr Postie today (Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It) and has been keeping me entertained why I decide on what to listen to next.... I love investigating music.

for a Spuds fan Fortis has proved to be great guy to deal with..... cheers for everything
beerchug.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,341 of 4,019
Also what's sony's issue with on the go playlists or playlist creation on the unit in general?  There are no technological limitations as poweramp can do this..
I long press a song and I get an option of "THROW"....what is this and does anyone actually use this?  

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,342 of 4,019

Quote:
Also what's sony's issue with on the go playlists or playlist creation on the unit in general?  There are no technological limitations as poweramp can do this..
I long press a song and I get an option of "THROW"....what is this and does anyone actually use this?  

yeah i'm with you. on the go playlists/playlists are not essential to the running of the stock software but i find them really useful and is the one thing missing from the stock setup

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,343 of 4,019
Yes, I like Jill... you try some Wayman Tisdale?  I like some of his "jazzed" up remakes of Motown stuff...

Quote:

My first Album of his in truth..... reminds me of the old soul that I grew up with & still love, was loving the CD till those two poxy hip-hop tracks hit my ears stiil 11 gooid tracks outta 13 aint bad... gonna love this CD.

like a bit of Jill Scott?

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #1,344 of 4,019

Quote:

don't think you can but if there is an answer i'd like to know this too! poweramp does but i don't want to install that

yes I installed poweramp but I dont like the sound from it compared to the stock player.  The stock player is also better than the android player but it has no on the go playlists :frowning2: 
Need to figure out what to do!

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #1,345 of 4,019

Quote:

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????? The Sony Z i s the one of the most silent DAPs I ever listened to .
I have the J3 and the Z (and lots of high quality DAPs), but sorry to tell you, that if you can't hear a difference between them (Sony Z has better soundstage, vocals, trebles.., more fun) than there is something seriously wrong, with what, I have no idea!

Haha yes I hear the difference only when I use full size headphones and an amp but without them and with only IEMs, I think the cowon outperforms the Z for some odd reason!  Maybe its because I'm so used to the Cowon sound that I cant adapt to the Z .....but I have no idea why.  Will need to test it out again today.  I think the bass on the Z is quite muddy and for that reason, I prefer BBE. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,346 of 4,019

Quote:
never owned a Cowon but.... my WM-Z's never had any hiss whatsoever, that said, I found on some old soul had background noise, like a hiss but not if you get my drift. I figured this could be the 'air' around a mic or amp that you sometimes get when waiting for a voice or instrument to kick in, any background hiss(?) disappeared when the appropiate noise/voice filtered in.

Yes I hear the hiss when no music is playing and my IEMs pick it up very well but then that disappers when I play music...becasue it overpowers it? With the Cowon, its like dead silent.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #1,347 of 4,019
I've heard it before too.  Though I can't recreate it. I just tried playing music on stock player, then pause... no hiss.  The did that with PowerAmp, same result.  Eeehhh... *shrugs shoulders*.

Quote:
Yes I hear the hiss when no music is playing and my IEMs pick it up very well but then that disappers when I play music...becasue it overpowers it? With the Cowon, its like dead silent.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #1,348 of 4,019

Quote:
Haha yes I hear the difference only when I use full size headphones and an amp but without them and with only IEMs, I think the cowon outperforms the Z for some odd reason!  Maybe its because I'm so used to the Cowon sound that I cant adapt to the Z .....but I have no idea why.  Will need to test it out again today.  I think the bass on the Z is quite muddy and for that reason, I prefer BBE. 

Not odd reason it's because of personal preference. Hey I love the sound from my $30 rockboxed ipod video and dumped my iPhone 4s/64GB.

I do have a J3 hiding in an USPS truck somewhere on the street.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #1,349 of 4,019

Quote:

I love the bass on the Z walkman.  Very deep with excellent impact and without the need of equalization.  If you like to equalize the sound from your DAP, the Sony is likely not for you.  My JH13pro + Z walkman sounds superb!

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,350 of 4,019

Quote:

I love the bass on the Z walkman.  Very deep with excellent impact and without the need of equalization.  If you like to equalize the sound from your DAP, the Sony is likely not for you.  My JH13pro + Z walkman sounds superb!

I love the neutrality of the WM-Z too but many won't like that & will want to alter the way it sounds.

I may be interested in how Poweramp works with the WM-Z but only because I'm thinking of going over to Flac files... I'm not into messing around with settings so how it sounds/performs without equalization is of more interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back