NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 9, 2011 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4,019

ArqDTX26

New Head-Fier
Hello headfiers! Well I would like to start by saying I've lurked around here for a while. Everytime I decide to buy new audio related gear I do a little research online and this site has been of great help to me. Well I think it's time to give something back to this comunity, by doing a little review of a new player I just bought. So here it is:

I opted for the 64 GB version, black color...
The black bezel is actually made of metal, probably aluminum, it feels solid and sturdy.
The touchscreen is made of glass, don't know if it's gorilla glass but it seems strong.

The back of the unit is blue, build quality seems good, but no removable cover, so the battery is not user replaceable.

Here you can see the HDMI port, the W walkman button with wich you can instantly access playback controls.

The bottom of the unit, with the headphone jack, the walkman proprietary connector, and a slot for adding a handstrap.

The headphones that came with it are pretty good, they have inbuilt noise cancelling, but i replaced them with my own set.

My "semi portable" setup! LOL

The user interface is pretty standard Android gingerbread fare, albeit a very smooth one thanks to the Tegra 2 chip i think. There are some sony branded stuff as expected, such as W.Music, Video Player, and Sony Music App, but no major change to the Android experience.

Now for the most important part, and what actually inspired me to come out from the lurking shadows to post this: the sound quality!

Owning an iPad 2 and having owned a iPod touch 4G, I can safely say that these devices don't come close to the SQ put out by this little gem. It's emotional, detailed and a pure joy to listen to. It's really the best SQ I've heard in a portable device. Even better than my old Walkman A855, wich was my portable source up until now. The headphone out jack is pretty good for those times when i need more portability, better than my iPad with an external amp in my opinion. But plug in an external amp through a LOD and it really shines! Hearing some of my old tunes I can hear details I didn't know were there. It's amazing really!

I did some side by side comparisons with my iPad 2, all effects turned off. There was no doubt, the Walkman was the clear winner. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Apple or it's products, for instance I think nothing beats the iPad 2 for web browsing and watching videos, but nothing beats the walkman for music.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 4,019
I'd love to buy the new Z series Walkman because I love the Sony SQ but unfortunately I am in the UK and it will have that dreadful EU volume cap on it.

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 4,019
What is the exact model of the unit you reviewed?

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 4,019
An Ok first review but... I don't see what model it is, nor any specifications, etc.
(Does it support FLACs? Can it play videos of all kind with support for mkv's, subtitles, etc.?)

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #9 of 4,019
Well, it definitely got my interest!  I thought I had heard the Sony's were going to start supporting more codecs and not just the proprietary "Sony" stuff.
Is it true?  If so, could you check to see if it would support flac files, and if so, in gapless mode?

I at least appreciate anyones effort to introduce Head-Fi'ers to new and exciting stuff.  I look forward to seeing more input from you in the future!

Ahh, yes...your first post... well, "Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet!".
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 4,019
Regarding the draconian 'volume cap' applied by the E.U. to all music players, this can easily be circumvented by changing the players locality to outside the European Union. So, pick a non-European English language speaking country from the setup menu and enjoy music at the volume YOU decide.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 4,019
Z-1070 is in my sights now for sure, especially since it was reported that the Japanese models can now be set to English. Just have to find a way to get it to the US. Nice first post-- bearing such welcome impressions. Keep updating sonic observations please.

Good times for sony aficionados.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 4,019

Quote:
Well, it definitely got my interest!  I thought I had heard the Sony's were going to start supporting more codecs and not just the proprietary "Sony" stuff.
Is it true?  If so, could you check to see if it would support flac files, and if so, in gapless mode?

I at least appreciate anyones effort to introduce Head-Fi'ers to new and exciting stuff.  I look forward to seeing more input from you in the future!

Ahh, yes...your first post... well, "Welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet!".
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks for the welcome! Yup, my wallet took a hurting and I think it will take a while to heal! But it was worth it.
About Flac support, no, it doesn't support it... Only lossless format supported is ATRAC Lossless, wich I find a pain in the arse since I have to convert them... Or you could go with WAV wich is supported but not practical because of the file size. About gapless, nope, unfortunately not...

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 4,019
Pass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back