NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Oct 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #3,946 of 4,019
Bam.

.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Ba-Battery-BST-41-For-Sony-Ericsson-M1i-X1-X2-X2i-X10-X10i-Xperia-Sydney-/330804508319?pt=AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item4d057c369f

6.3 x 4.1 x 0.5

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,947 of 4,019
  Here's some photo's of inside and the battery dimensions.

The battery dimensions are:

4.2cm Wide
6.5cm Long
4mm Thick

The actual battery compartment in the housing could probably accommodate a couple mm more in the width and another mm in height.

I found one already but it's 4.5cm in width which is just 3mm too wide.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151427576310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

All the batteries I found where always bigger than what the compartment can fit.

Nice finding.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3,948 of 4,019
Here's the reply I received from Sony Australia repairs.

Hi,

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately the Walkman model NWZZ1050 is not an item we repair - when one of these becomes faulty whilst still under warranty, we simply replace it.

If you want to speak to the Sony call centre on 1300 137 669, they offer trade-ins for some items that have run out of warranty, and may be able to sell you a new Walkman at a reduced price.

Kind regards,

I told them basically what I said here, expressing great disappointment in Sony as a company.

I have gone ahead and ordered the replacement battery myself from eBay, which I am not 100% on soldering the terminals. These batterys are not made to be soldered onto though what can I do?

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #3,949 of 4,019
  Here's the reply I received from Sony Australia repairs.

I told them basically what I said here, expressing great disappointment in Sony as a company.

I have gone ahead and ordered the replacement battery myself from eBay, which I am not 100% on soldering the terminals. These batterys are not made to be soldered onto though what can I do?

I was expecting this.

Please keep us updated with your finding.

I do not think it will be that much difficult to solder.

Just practice on something other than the battery ......

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #3,950 of 4,019

I was expecting this.

Please keep us updated with your finding.

I do not think it will be that much difficult to solder.

Just practice on something other than the battery ......

Yes, I will try. I think my main concern is the battery in my NWZ-Z1050 is still working to an extent, by cutting the original battery 'connection cable' off I may be render a 'still working' product to something (if my attempt fails) then a paper weight for the bin. We'll see what happens, I wish nothing more to be successful and show some photo's of it working for you guys. 

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #3,951 of 4,019

Yes, I will try. I think my main concern is the battery in my NWZ-Z1050 is still working to an extent, by cutting the original battery 'connection cable' off I may be render a 'still working' product to something (if my attempt fails) then a paper weight for the bin. We'll see what happens, I wish nothing more to be successful and show some photo's of it working for you guys. 

Its a gamble, and I hope all works for you.

As much as I want to go and try it, I am afraid to ruin mine .

Maybe you got bigger ........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,952 of 4,019
Well I did it, (it works)

Soldering was quite easy. The gold contacts I originally scuffed up for soldering the battery lifted soon as I applied heat showing a new layer to solder onto the battery terminals underneath. (like another terminal) Because these had been primed / fluxed when making the battery simply touch soldering the wiring harness on was a breeze in just one second for each terminal which helps a lot keeping the battery cool.  It fired straight up and is working no problem.

(I have since cleaned up the wiring and moved it forward, neater than this)

Removing the harness from the old battery was also easy, You carefully cut the battery tab open (no electronics just a piece of paper basically) and unsolder them from the circuit. So in theory doing this carefully the old battery could still be used again if ever needed. You don't need to destroy it.

And one working NWZ-Z1050 with a new battery.

There is however one small problem, due to the battery being a little thicker the back case will not fit on perfectly., it is about 2mm up still. This however does not concern me as I can sand down down the ridges with a dremel tool later and apply a thin layer of electrical tape along the side. (a small price to pay to save this device)

I still need to test charging and run times, so I'll report back. (but this can be done)

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,953 of 4,019
  Well I did it, (it works)

Soldering was quite easy. The gold contacts I originally scuffed up for soldering the battery lifted soon as I applied heat showing a new layer to solder onto the battery terminals underneath. (like another terminal) Because these had been primed / fluxed when making the battery simply touch soldering the wiring harness on was a breeze in just one second for each terminal which helps a lot keeping the battery cool.  It fired straight up and is working no problem.

(I have since cleaned up the wiring and moved it forward, neater than this)

Removing the harness from the old battery was also easy, You carefully cut the battery tab open (no electronics just a piece of paper basically) and unsolder them from the circuit. So in theory doing this carefully the old battery could still be used again if ever needed. You don't need to destroy it.

And one working NWZ-Z1050 with a new battery.

There is however one small problem, due to the battery being a little thicker the back case will not fit on perfectly., it is about 2mm up still. This however does not concern me as I can sand down down the ridges with a dremel tool later and apply a thin layer of electrical tape along the side. (a small price to pay to save this device)

I still need to test charging and run times, so I'll report back. (but this can be done)

That is great!

I was not expecting it to be thicker!!!???
Please update us. And Congrats for saving it and us

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,954 of 4,019
  That is great!

I was not expecting it to be thicker!!!???
Please update us. And Congrats for saving it and us

As great as it was and playing music there is a problem. When connecting to the USB charger it won't take a charge. It doesn't respond to charging at all.

I"m looking into it further, I also find it really strang considering the terminals were matched the same, the new battery has a protection circuit built in like the Sony battery.

I have disassembled both batteries (old /new) carefully and cannot understand why it wouldn't charge. In theory everything was correct.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #3,955 of 4,019

As great as it was and playing music there is a problem. When connecting to the USB charger it won't take a charge. It doesn't respond to charging at all.

I"m looking into it further, I also find it really strang considering the terminals were matched the same, the new battery has a protection circuit built in like the Sony battery.

I have disassembled both batteries (old /new) carefully and cannot understand why it wouldn't charge. In theory everything was correct.

OK, did you try a different USB charger (with different Amp) ?

Could the higher mah be the reason?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #3,956 of 4,019
  OK, did you try a different USB charger (with different Amp) ?

Could the higher mah be the reason?

Yes, I tried 1amp and 500mah chargers, There's something going on at the protection circuit, or I have damaged the new batterys protection circuit on soldering (therefore wouldn't accept a charge) The battery percentage was showing in battery bench and responding (going down as I was using it) the temperature however said a steady 52 degrees the entire time from first boot up, which was false because it was no-where near that heat (I could feel it). It simply doesn't respond to a charger at all, no charge icon, no acknowledgment you've plugged anything in.

it will however show still as a USB drive on my PC (but not charge)

What I have done is order another battery, different seller and will try again, doing it a second time will be easy.

In theory to the best of my knowledge everything was correct, if the new battery doesn't work when I try once more I'm sold out of luck on ideas.

PS: If anyone reading this thinks they can help or know why it won't accept a charge please jump in.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,957 of 4,019

Yes, I tried 1amp and 500mah chargers, There's something going on at the protection circuit, or I have damaged the new batterys protection circuit on soldering (therefore wouldn't accept a charge) The battery percentage was showing in battery bench and responding (going down as I was using it) the temperature however said a steady 52 degrees the entire time from first boot up, which was false because it was no-where near that heat (I could feel it). It simply doesn't respond to a charger at all, no charge icon, no acknowledgment you've plugged anything in.

it will however show still as a USB drive on my PC (but not charge)

What I have done is order another battery, different seller and will try again, doing it a second time will be easy.

In theory to the best of my knowledge everything was correct, if the new battery doesn't work when I try once more I'm sold out of luck on ideas.

PS: If anyone reading this thinks they can help or know why it won't accept a charge please jump in.

If you think you did everything correct then there is nothing to do but wait for the replacement 
frown.gif

Hopefully it was just a defective battery.

Oct 11, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3,958 of 4,019
  If you think you did everything correct then there is nothing to do but wait for the replacement 
frown.gif

Hopefully it was just a defective battery.

It would be nice, atm the Z Walkman is sitting on top of our fridge about 3 meters from the garbage bin.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,959 of 4,019
Maybe the battery needs a software\patch for the operating system (android) to recognize the battery. Since you bought the battery just by size, the Walkman did not recognize the battery in the program. Ask the seller if there are any patches available from the manufacturer.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,960 of 4,019
Does the Walkman battery have any make, model, numbers something to start a search as who makes the battery.
I don't have any problems with mine, so I'm afraid I can't open it until it starts to show wear,
Good thing it's not a Zx1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back