New Sony Walkman NW-A300 Series (Android 12)
Mar 5, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #1,683 of 4,115
Not had an iBasso but hear they sound good. Maybe they are just more your preference.

I had a DX240 shorlisted at one point when I was buying a WM1AM2.

Dx240 is a nice dap, I think what really makes a difference on some headphones is more power output. If they're powered efficiently dynamics can improve and the sense of space. However, I feel the Sony is wonderful if used with iems and some easier to drive cans. Since I'm an iem user exclusively now I'm good to go. Plus you can't beat the size if you want something compact.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #1,685 of 4,115
Ok been using the a306 for tidal streaming the last couple of days I've been using HD streaming enabled and mostly mqa tracks. I must say I'm really impressed as even though most require an uptick in volume the staging and layering is very good and spacious. There seems to be better separation of instruments, just like what you get with a better mastered track. Very nice.

And battery has been pretty good considering I'm using HR streaming. So it handles mqa files nicely. I don't think it's the codec so much as stuff that's mastered to a good quality. If it was the same price as spotify I would actually pay for a sub. Also noticed the a306 stays cooler when stream HR stuff than the a105 which could get a bit warm.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #1,687 of 4,115
As I've probably said before I'm very jealous of you all managing to get the 306 or 307 Japanese version. Probably an age thing but worried about sticking my head out and getting one on the sites some of you have suggested. Looked on eBay but again not sure! Just need someone to pop over and grab one for me 🙏🤞. I know I'm a nuisance but other than Buyee, eBay and Accessory Jack where else?
Regards Graham
Hey Graham, I would recommend AccessoryJack. I ordered mine via them to the UK and had great service. Delivery in around 5 days, no import charges, HK model with no volume cap and no bass issue, cheaper than buying from Amazon UK.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,690 of 4,115
I have an opportunity to pick up the A306 from South Korea in a couple of weeks, does anyone know if the model sold there will have the volume limit, or even these low end issues people are now noticing? Cheers
IIRC, South Korea was together with the European Union one of the 2 regions where volume cap has been implemented with SONY DAPs in the past.
So, unfortunately there is a very high chance that it holds for the new SONY DAPs including NW-A306 as well.
The bass issue seems to appear randomly, i.e. both with volume-capped units as well as those not volume-capped ones. The pattern has not been found out yet.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,691 of 4,115
IIRC, South Korea was together with the European Union one of the 2 regions where volume cap has been implemented with SONY DAPs in the past.
So, unfortunately there is a very high chance that it holds for the new SONY DAPs including NW-A306 as well.
The bass issue seems to appear randomly, i.e. both with volume-capped units as well as those not volume-capped one. The pattern has not been found out yet.
Thanks for the info!

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,692 of 4,115
Hey Graham, I would recommend AccessoryJack. I ordered mine via them to the UK and had great service. Delivery in around 5 days, no import charges, HK model with no volume cap and no bass issue, cheaper than buying from Amazon UK.

I second this, I've bought 4 or 5 things from them and always it's been an easy and good experience. I'm in the US so no worry about customs tax, but... they have fast free shipping, I think my a306 came in 4 days and best of all no tax is charged. I don't think anyone here that bought one from there has the bass issue either.

The only negative is no 'satisfaction' returns, only if an item is defective upon receipt. So I don't know what would happen if you got a bass lite model. I consider it defective, but would they. I guess you could ask. I have asked them questions before and they answered quickly. Anyways I'm rambling, hopefully sony fixes the issue soon and then it will be a moot point.

Mar 6, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #1,693 of 4,115
I second this, I've bought 4 or 5 things from them and always it's been an easy and good experience. I'm in the US so no worry about customs tax, but... they have fast free shipping, I think my a306 came in 4 days and best of all no tax is charged. I don't think anyone here that bought one from there has the bass issue either.

The only negative is no 'satisfaction' returns, only if an item is defective upon receipt. So I don't know what would happen if you got a bass lite model. I consider it defective, but would they. I guess you could ask. I have asked them questions before and they answered quickly. Anyways I'm rambling, hopefully sony fixes the issue soon and then it will be a moot point.
I third this, an excellent experience with them.
That said, we had a private conversation a while back about Accessory Jack and despite my recommendation, I assume you have decided not to go that route? :thinking:

Mar 6, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,694 of 4,115
Also, I pulled out my final audio E2000 for fun and actually they sound very good with a touch of eq in the highs and a high volume. Way better than a 40 dollar iem has a right to. However on some tidal master tracks I have to have the volume around 112 113 and my unit is uncapped.

I couldn't get these to sound like I prefer with a capped unit. Well specifically my capped unit. I might look for another small DD iem that's a bit easier to drive. Ie800 left bud is not working. 😞 I'm also having a bit of pain with my rose mini 3 pro, I never have before but this limits my listening atm.

Any quick suggestions for small light DD units. I saw this fiio, but don't know if they're any good. Looking for small comfortable light DD iems. Unfortunately my ears are very sensitive to weight and something being in them.

Screenshot_20230304-145411_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,695 of 4,115
I third this, an excellent experience with them.
That said, we had a private conversation a while back about Accessory Jack and despite my recommendation, I assume you have decided not to go that route? :thinking:
Hi, yes I do remember and I'm still considering getting one based especially on your recommendation. I'd love to get the Japanese version of the 307 with an official case. Home with bloody COVID so got plenty of time to consider all options. Thanks again for all your help 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back