New Sony Portable DVD/CDRW
Oct 22, 2002 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ian

Lifting Meridians by their trays
Quote:

The consumer-electronics giant's new MPD-AP20U player can play and record CDs as well as play DVDs and digital audio files, such as MP3s. Sony announced the device Monday, saying it will be available in November for less than $300.

Cool looking stuff. More info here at CNET:

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-962826.html

Now how good is the headphone output?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 17
That's really cool.

It says it can record when hooked up to a computer -- I wonder if it can write off other input, too. It'd beat MiniDisc if it could do that. ...

kerely

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 17
Could this be the first portable DVD-A or SACD player?
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 23, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 17
No mention of DVD-A, remember Sony is pushing SACD instead. The information says it can play wav files burned onto DVDs or CD's. That means it can play hours of normal cd quality audio on a single disk. Pretty cool if you ask me. Of course, there are some issues, like the lack, or at least no mention, of a line out. But let me tell you, if this thing is available here in Mexico, I am getting one.

--------

(EDIT)

Never mind. I thougth it was also a DVD burner. It's still pretty cool, but I guess I'll need a burner in order to get all those wav's into a DVD.

Oct 23, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
Could this be the first portable DVD-A or SACD player?
smily_headphones1.gif

No, players like the portable Panasonic DVD-PA65 with DVD-A capability (and no LCD screen) have been around for years and are mostly discontinued now. You should be able to pick one up at about $250, maybe less. It appears the lithium battery is an (expensive) option only. There have been no reviews about the DVD-A sound quality from this device I am aware of.

Oct 24, 2002 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 17
holy cow that's awesome. it'll probably be my next portable purchase. one can fit a ****load of mp3s on a 4.37gb dvd-r disc.
biggrin.gif

or you could rip them all as wav files, as onix said, and still fit quite a few albums. awesome! maybe i am not interested in the ipod afterall..
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by FilmAddict
It appears to be ONLY an audio player. Anyone know if it can play DVD/VCD video?

Hey Addict, from the CNET story: "When connected to a television or PC, the device can also become a DVD player for watching movies".

Man, I am SOOOO getting this thing.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 17
After doing a quick search on "sony" + "AP20U", the first 2 hits, "dcviews" & "maccentral", provided a wealth of info...

There is NO line-out, only H.P.-out.

There is no video-out. Dvd movies can only be viewed on a computer. The Mac site reiterates that one will be able to view dvd video only by using a PC-Windows setup.

Playback time is anemic, to say the least.
4 hrs. for cd's. 1 1/2 for dvd's. How many movies are that short?

Jun 14, 2003 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 17
We got one at work for use with laptops that don't have DVD or CD-RW. Works great that way powered off the USB bus on both PCs and Macs (XP and OS X). As a portable player, the battery life does suck but in the car I just use my Sony cigaratte lighter adaptor. It actually reads the CD or MP3s into memory and then turns the drive off when playing, on CDs it only spins about half the time, on for a minute then off for a minute. Sounded pretty good but the lack of a line out disappointed me. Without an amp, I had to turn it way up. The little remote is pretty cool and it was really easy to use with just one hand, blind, while driving. I got a new iPod a week after it came into work and started using that instead but it doesn't sound as good (MP3 vrs CDs, didn't try MP3s on Sony yet but did make a test CD to facilitate a comparison).

I'll let you all know how it goes if there's interest. It is built like a tank and if you're traveling with a computer and need a cd-rw or dvd-rom, it's a nice unit and built like a tank.

Jun 14, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Just got the latest TigerDirect catalog in the mail, which lists a big price drop for this unit down to US$219

fyi

Jun 14, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #15 of 17
Hmm... could be interesting ~ if the price is right...

...although, with no line out (although thats normally just for the US markets)... it might not be so hot
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back