SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 4, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #482 of 2,641
That’s wrong. You don’t need UAPP on most DAPs.

Most DAPs other than Sony supports Android SRC Bypass so you can play lossless music natively in any app.
My iBasso DX320 plays bit perfect lossless music via the Apple Music app, no resampling done. It’s the same for current models from many other brands like A&K, Fiio, Shanling etc. just not Sony.

Anyways I keep Sony sound processing On as that’s where the magic lies and it makes every App sound good in 1Z. I don’t want bit perfect which sometime can sound thin and bright in some DAP even though bit perfect

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #483 of 2,641
all DAPs bypass streaming music with app like UAPP and not on their own and apple music is not supported by UAPP so I dont think we can bypass Android resampling for apple music in any DAP. Please correct me if I am worng .
Yep, your Wrong.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #484 of 2,641
Anyways I keep Sony sound processing On as that’s where the magic lies and it makes every App sound good in 1Z. I don’t want bit perfect which sometime can sound thin and bright in some DAP even though bit perfect
I prefer direct over any of the tweaks on my WM1AM2 (or 1ZM2 before it) but then all my own files are lossless. Stream Amazon HD which are FLAC (32/192 mode).

Have only a few test DSD & MQA files out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #485 of 2,641
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #486 of 2,641
Most DAPs other than Sony supports Android SRC Bypass so you can play lossless music natively in any app.
My iBasso DX320 plays bit perfect lossless music via the Apple Music app, no resampling done. It’s the same for current models from many other brands like A&K, Fiio, Shanling etc. just not Sony.
That’s a bummer. I was hoping to go with the Sony as my IPhone + dongle replacement. So I guess Android SEC Bypass is what I need to look for for Apple Music.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #487 of 2,641
Good to know… the world of Android DAP is new to me.
That is still the case on mobile phones, but many DAP suppliers have created bit-perfect bypass but Sony hasn't, either due to lazy programming dept or as someone else said linked to system wide EQ stuff.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #488 of 2,641
That’s a bummer. I was hoping to go with the Sony as my IPhone + dongle replacement. So I guess Android SEC Bypass is what I need to look for for Apple Music.
Don't get hung up of bit-perfect as I also did originally with Sony DAP's. Its a non-issue with 32/192 mode set.

I also have an iPhone13 mini with Apple DAC cable but also BTR5 as external DAC and also used with a Khadas Tea DAC/AMP. I use Amazon HD for music and was really suprised the app itself on iOS and Android scales its output to 32/192. I expected iPhone to play a 24/96 file bitperfect but BTR5 clearly showed all tracks hitting DAC at 32/196.

Tidal & Spotify app on iPhone do seem to output true bit-perfect.

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #489 of 2,641
That is still the case on mobile phones, but many DAP suppliers have created bit-perfect bypass but Sony hasn't, either due to lazy programming dept or as someone else said linked to system wide EQ stuff.
Looks like they want to use system wide sound processing and their main focus is on Walkman music app

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #490 of 2,641
Give Sony sound processing algorithm a chance and you may like it.

Feb 4, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #492 of 2,641
Like psikey said, don’t let this stop you from getting a Sony DAP. You won’t really hear any difference between bit-perfect and resampled.

In the end there’s a lot more to DAPs than just being bit-perfect. I’m getting a Sony DAP because it’s a bit more portable than my other DAP + I love the Sony sound signature. It’s more musical and fun. I also like to use Sony’s DSEE depending on the source and cans. It’s also one of the few DAPs that currently run Android 12. The build quality of Sony DAPs is also top notch !

I’ll be switching between my DX320 and ZX700 depending on what I’m listening to and whether I’m at home or on the go.

Feb 4, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #493 of 2,641
I just wish that Sony would update the firmware on the ZX507 and allow DSD mastering. A definition of a truly portable DAP is the ZX507 with slightly longer battery life with a DSD mastering written all over it.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #494 of 2,641
DAPs1.jpg

So lets compare how I see it. Mostly I do listen to techno/dance music, have used the same EQ settings on all of them, tested with IER-M9 (Kimber Kable).

NWZX707 vs. NWZX507 (burnt in I guess)
Its hard even to compare these two. ZX707 seems much better to me soundwise, it does sound richer, has much wider soundstage and overall feeling is just amazing compared to its precedor. Also the SW experience is very very good. As of the build quality, I think this is the best DAP Sony has made yet. Its just beautiful. Feels snug in my hand (I have small hands), but still its too heavy to carry around. For my walks, I guess I still will go for ZX507. I also got the original case, which is simply perfect. Even the ZX507 original case is way better than the bent crappy one for NWWM1AM2.

NWZX707 vs. NWWM1AM2 (burn in 44h)
Yes, NWM1AM2 has wider soundstage, overall it sounds better then NWZX707, but its not a big difference to my ears as ZX707 compared to ZX507. It seems to me that ZX707 has more bass, it slams better at some points. It gets really hard here comparing this two. It feels better to hold the ZX707 then the brick, so here, it really is hard to decide for which one to go as they both are not really to be taken for walks outside (I am not the guy putting stuff in my pockets, rather jacket).

I try to put it on a scale as I see it:
NWZX507 - 1
NWZX707 - 7
NWWM1AM2 - 10
(not meaning ZX507 is bad, but to point out the difference how i feel/see it)

If I would have to decide which one to keep, I would keep NWZX707. Sounds great, is snuggy, nice case - premium combo. Yes, NWWM1AM2 sounds better! And the NWW1AM2 with IER-M9 is my best Sony combo. I will get back to try with IER-Z1R.

Attachments

• DAPs1.jpg
    DAPs1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #495 of 2,641
Could the 707 be used as an audio recorder with a USB mic and some kind of Android recording app? I have made some wickedly good field recordings with my iPhone and an iOS app called Ferrite, just using the built in iPhone mics. Ferrite allows lossless 24/44.1 recording on the phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back