SONY NW-ZX700
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #391 of 2,641
AccessoryJack has stock but it seems overpriced.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #393 of 2,641
Nice !

Even India has it already and no news of it in the EU so far.
Why you say "Even India"? Less priority to have it over EU?

They don't have the stupid capping so maybe easier to arrange out early :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #394 of 2,641
Updating so far for NX707 variants :
Buyer Beware!

EU version : NO high gain
US version : NO high gain
Japan version : High gain
Singapore version : NO high gain
Malaysian version : High gain
Hong Kong version : High gain
Canada version : NO high gain
India version : High gain

Not just no hi-gain, but regular volume about 20-25 points lower too so also cripples volume without High-Gain (if like EU/UK ones)

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #395 of 2,641
Received NW zx707 Indian version today.

Initial impressions: I was able to drive ie 900 with 707 at 45-50/120 volume at high gain with balanced 4.4. fiio fdx at 35-40/120 volume at high gain with balanced 4.4

Very much impressed with 707 compared to zx 507 capped verion. very handy and pocket friendly.

dsd remastering is good. very good sound stage. very musical not much a detail oriented unless dsd remastering is switched on.

approx 8-10% discharge per hour on streaming spotify/amazon music and higher on apple music.

octa core cpu from qualcom 4x2 ghz, 4x1.8 ghz, 4 gb ram. UI is very smooth. display is above average wwhich i dont bother much. disabled some apps which i dont use.
Nice! Do you know if you DSD remastering works when connected to another DAC via USB, like to Mojo or ifi?

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #396 of 2,641
Updating so far for NX707 variants :
Buyer Beware!

EU version : NO high gain
US version : NO high gain
Japan version : High gain
Singapore version : NO high gain
Malaysian version : High gain
Hong Kong version : High gain
Canada version : NO high gain
India version : High gain
Thanks man. Sad to see really.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #398 of 2,641

Attachments

• B5D65F47-DC06-479D-B693-AB3B09418F0C.jpeg
    B5D65F47-DC06-479D-B693-AB3B09418F0C.jpeg
    673.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #399 of 2,641
Thousands of hearing loss lawyers in the USA, probably why the volume cap. Sony would be a big target for them, they're just protecting themselves.
Fortunately my son has started turning his IEM's and overears down.
Truth. Maybe I should get my lawsuit going as well!

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #400 of 2,641
Why you say "Even India"? Less priority to have it over EU?

They don't have the stupid capping so maybe easier to arrange out early :relaxed:
I say this because India is not a market for DAPs that cost as much as an iPhone.
On the other hand it seems like it’s cheaper than the US there.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #401 of 2,641
Thousands of hearing loss lawyers in the USA, probably why the volume cap. Sony would be a big target for them, they're just protecting themselves.
Fortunately my son has started turning his IEM's and overears down.

That's where the saying must come from: 'can we have everything louder than everything else'
Ian Gillan Made In Japan Tour.

Feb 1, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #402 of 2,641
Nice! Do you know if you DSD remastering works when connected to another DAC via USB, like to Mojo or ifi?
If you are using 707 as a source like phone and use type c from 707. No dsd or vinyl or any eq setting works

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #403 of 2,641
That's actually really cool that you even got a reply. Thank you so much for reaching out to them to share with them this.

We probably won't see this situation resolved with the ZX707 but hopefully this will change by the time the next Walkman comes around.

Either way, moving forward, I'm importing any future Walkmans from Japan and not looking back. No worries anymore about volume cap or any nasty surprises within.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #404 of 2,641
It’s one thing to have volume limiter in place as default shipped settings to prevent hearing loss but it is another thing to blanket reduce power out and remove high gain all together.

Sony could have implemented a more targeted approach to hearing loss prevention by allowing the Walkman owner to key in the sensitivity and ohm rating to allow for a more targeted approach to loudness control for the amplifier output. If the user chooses to key in incorrect data then the responsibility of hearing loss is no longer Sony’s legal responsibility.

let’s see if future Sony products like Bluetooth headphones and iems released in Singapore, USA and Canada will also affected by this new IEC standard.

This is really disappointing for the way which they implemented this hearing loss protection. This is going to reduce the transient dynamics of more power hungry audiophile headphones. Music is a dynamic signal that swings from moment to moment and to be limited to 1.1mW is likely going to make your iem/headphone not able to reproduce sound details with enough energy. That powerful drum beat or that cymbal clash of a live concert would be strictly limited to under 90db. A short duration of 95db transient sound is not going to damage your ears long term. You are exposed to more longer duration louder noises outdoor like when you take the metro.

I would like to see if they would implement this stupid IEC standard for Movie Theatres. Let’s see if movie explosion sounds are strictly limited to under 90db would be great for protecting hearing too?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back