SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #7,756 of 8,639
It’s just annoying because Sony could of easily implemented a more powerful chip given its price. I can only sumise that this was strategic to build up to another flagship but what people don’t understand is that the chip contributes to a comfortable listening experience. If the hardware can’t keep up you’re fighting a loosing battle. The ZX507 just about makes the cut imo.
Only reason I doubt that is because neither the wm1a nor the 1z are very powerful either. Sony dap have enough power for most iems and THEIR headphones. Overall sound signature over power, no worry about him on anything sensitive. It is what it is, but that has BEEN Sony's stance

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #7,759 of 8,639
Can you buy both and send them to me and i'll tell you. Thank you.
GcD8.gif

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #7,760 of 8,639
It’s just annoying because Sony could of easily implemented a more powerful chip given its price. I can only sumise that this was strategic to build up to another flagship but what people don’t understand is that the chip contributes to a comfortable listening experience. If the hardware can’t keep up you’re fighting a loosing battle. The ZX507 just about makes the cut imo.
Actually they couldn't. The S-Master chip being used in the current generation of Walkmans is already the latest chip Sony themselves have developed and they can't go up higher more than what the WM1 series can do on batteries without designing and fabricating an entirely new audio chip.

It's funny you mention the chip being the contributing to a comfortable listening experience because Sony is the only DAP maker that actually goes out of its way to make its own chip - arguably they probably understands this more than any other maker out there as they still insist on making their own chip rather than source it from AKM, Sabre or Cirrus Logic like 99.99% of the other makers out there does.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #7,761 of 8,639
Actually they couldn't. The S-Master chip being used in the current generation of Walkmans is already the latest chip Sony themselves have developed and they can't go up higher more than what the WM1 series can do on batteries without designing and fabricating an entirely new audio chip.

It's funny you mention the chip being the contributing to a comfortable listening experience because Sony is the only DAP maker that actually goes out of its way to make its own chip - arguably they probably understands this more than any other maker out there as they still insist on making their own chip rather than source it from AKM, Sabre or Cirrus Logic like 99.99% of the other makers out there does.
I’m referring to the processor. Snapdragons found in phones costing half as much as the ZX507 are much much faster. I understand the battery is small but these chips are very efficient now.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #7,762 of 8,639
I’m referring to the processor. Snapdragons found in phones costing half as much as the ZX507 are much much faster. I understand the battery is small but these chips are very efficient now.
They don't want to use Snapdragons either because Sony's audio department and Qualcomm don't play nice, that's another issue altogether as well.

Ever notice Sony's audio products is very luke warm in supporting aptX which is a Qualcomm product? That's the hint.....

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #7,764 of 8,639
They don't want to use Snapdragons either because Sony's audio department and Qualcomm don't play nice, that's another issue altogether as well.

Ever notice Sony's audio products is very luke warm in supporting aptX which is a Qualcomm product? That's the hint.....

They could go back to using Mediatek, like with all non-Android Walkman players post-2016.

Nov 10, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #7,765 of 8,639
Nov 10, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #7,766 of 8,639
https://www.hayaponlog.site/entry/2020/02/10/094328

This guy points out why with a series of deduction which makes a lot of sense - there's no Qualcomm nor Mediatek low powered small SoC which doesn't include a 4G modem.

True, though Sony could have Mediatek work on a SoC with no modem, like they did with the non-Android Walkman players, which are using the MT8590 (~1.8 to 2 GHz dual-core SoC). There's no info about this MT8590 on the internet.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7,767 of 8,639
I have a feeling Sony will soon give us USB Dac mode for the ZX507...

Nov 21, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #7,769 of 8,639
I have a feeling Sony will soon give us USB Dac mode for the ZX507...
That would be really cool, I’m a little bit out of the rumor mill at the moment, but I’ve always loved how this player sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back