SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #7,668 of 8,639
Does anyone know how to get ZX507 work with an external USB/DAC? I've been trying multiple cables and otg adapters but have so far unable to make ZX507 work with my Hugo 2. (In comparison I had a Android Redmi phone with type c around and worked with every cable connection I tried)

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #7,669 of 8,639
Does anyone know how to get ZX507 work with an external USB/DAC? I've been trying multiple cables and otg adapters but have so far unable to make ZX507 work with my Hugo 2. (In comparison I had a Android Redmi phone with type c around and worked with every cable connection I tried)

The ZX507 does not have an USB DAC mode. I wish it did.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #7,670 of 8,639
After long hesitating over the price of admission, I bought a 64 Audio U12t with Effect Cleopatra cable, and paired with the 507 I really can't think a portable rig could be any better - have to force myself to take these things out of my ears and re-enter the grey world of day... The sound is endlessly seductive.
Haha, I feel your Joy. For me, it's the Sony ZX500+ ThaiAudio Monarch. perfect pairing and it's hard to get these IEMs out of my ears. This is with the stock silicone tips and latest international firmware. Hi-Res off. Tried with my other DAPs, the Sony is just so musical.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #7,673 of 8,639
so glad i went to ZX507 from AK SR 25, using SR 25 for 2 weeks thrist me with good bass (impact and deep)
and sony's dynamic range of full body sound satisfy my with Jpop, Kpop, Koplo genre.but zx507 battery is a bit let down compared to SR25
and its synergy well with my 64 audio nio...

i hope sony will release an update fw for using it as dac.

Sep 16, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #7,674 of 8,639
so glad i went to ZX507 from AK SR 25, using SR 25 for 2 weeks thrist me with good bass (impact and deep)
and sony's dynamic range of full body sound satisfy my with Jpop, Kpop, Koplo genre.but zx507 battery is a bit let down compared to SR25
and its synergy well with my 64 audio nio...

i hope sony will release an update fw for using it as dac.
I went from AK Kann cube to the 507 and it was soooo much more musical. no regrets. I can live with the battery.

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #7,675 of 8,639
I’ve used the zx507 using latest firmware with a chord mojo witout issues, using native Walkman app and Amazon music app. I’ve used a usb-c to micro usb OTG cable (15 cm).

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #7,676 of 8,639
been vacuum since 2016 afaik, since I got my fitear MH334, and after struggling with life im back to the audio world!
blindly getting the AK SR25 and 64 audio Nio, Nio does the job really good, but AK SR25? no :thinking:
im glad that i let go AK SR25 and goes to ZX507
AK SR25 never will be a good sound for me for whatever settings I tuned the EQ.

my daily setup is:
DAP: ZX507
IEM: 64 Audio Nio with m15(mainly)/m20 Apex Module
Cable: 64 Audio standard cable with pentaconn 4.4mm (i bought this separately not re-terminate the original included)
Eartips: Azla SednaEarfit Standart (long stem) / Acoustune ET08 (if i want more bass rather than using apex m20 module that making sounstage narrower a bit)

for anyone who can get this setup, I believe you will be smiling so much while listening.
why did I buy another 64 audio's standard cable? yeah, it is completely different with Pentacon 4.4mm and balance output,
i swear i really really swear. Go to balance, never look back, tried once more with standard 3.5mm single-ended sounded so dull.. oh God I wished i know this back then.

Vocals presentation damn great, with a tight and good amount of bass (more than u12t),
high and treble get sparkle without sibilance that I hate so much,
details is more than enough for me, I'm not that super analytical guy.
the soundstage is big, has good timbre, and has nice warm sounding.
the airiness on the vocal section are so much nice than standard cable and eartips

No Regrets! :gs1000smile: viva la sony!!:beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #7,677 of 8,639
I’ve used the zx507 using latest firmware with a chord mojo witout issues, using native Walkman app and Amazon music app. I’ve used a usb-c to micro usb OTG cable (15 cm).
Hi, do you mind telling me how the ZX507 compares to the Mojo sound-wise? I have the Mojo and I find it a very good match to my Sony M9, mostly because I think its snappy sound signature compensates for the mild smoothness of the M9. I'm wondering whether & how the ZX507 might stand as a comparable alternative for listening on the go. So far I've been using a FiiO Q3 for the purpose but the M9 outclasses it easily.

Mostly listening to jazz & classical, but I'll occasionally also revert to some more contemporary/upbeat tracks :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #7,678 of 8,639
Tested the ZX507 with the TA-ZH1ES (USB-B <--> USB-C) and works perfect. As soon as i plug it in, there is a popup if TA-ZH1ES is allowed to access the Walkman App, i say yes and there it goes.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #7,679 of 8,639
The nice thing about the Sony is you don't have to workaround to "easily" install apps, you just install through Play. No hacking or repurchasing apps already owned.

Why does this matter? Worried about warranty? Or how hard would it be to return? LOL
Mine was proxied to the USA with no problems. If I do need some sort of warranty work done, I suppose I'll have to ship it back to Japan, or if I'm for some reason no longer satisfied with it as a player, I would just sell it on to someone else, probably at a loss.

USB Audio Player Pro doesn't support non-Play installs.
This post is pretty old, but still does have relevance today and a lot of people get into trouble so i would like to necrobump a bit.

In a lot of countries (including germany), private persons are not allowed to ship products containing an Li-Ion battery.

So if you buy a ZX507 in Japan because you want it uncapped and there is a issue, you can't ship it back to Japan.

I tried ship back my Xperia Z4 back then because it had a reboot loop but the package was sent back with a sticker, that private persons are not allowed to send oversears.

This rule applies to several countries and EMS doesn't even ship to a lot of countries anyway. If you life in germany, you have to workaround by asking the proxy to send using DHL instead of EMS. Only then you can receive it but there is no way back. I tried everything, nobody is willing to ship it to japan from germany due to the battery.

So if you have a software bug in your ZX507 that causes a reboot loop, its a brick. Sony Europe won't touch it either.

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #7,680 of 8,639
I’m surprised there have been no new firmware updates in a while with added functionality. With the chip shortages and manufacturing slowdowns Sony could breath new life into this DAP while we wait for new hardware.

I’m beginning to think the ZX507 was an experiment to test out Android for a TOTL Sony DAP and see how the public responded. I don’t think they sold enough of these to warrant more money spent on software improvements. Too bad. Time will tell if this is a forgotten product.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back