SONY NW-ZX500
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #7,156 of 8,639
Just tried the improved spatial processing on the 1AM2 balanced. For the 1AM2, the exact positioning of the headphone driver on your ears is very crucial for the spatial imaging to sound right. Play around with positioning and height of the headband until you get good 3D imaging and softer treble. If you find the treble to sound too sharp, it is likely your positioning of the driver on your ears is not correct. You want your earlobes to be resting/grip inside the inner side of ear pads, so that your ear lobes act as sort of waveguide for the sound to enter your ears.

Although the 1A2M2 cannot match the IER-M9 Interms of pinpoint accurate imaging, the 1AM2 has its strength in having a more satisfying thumping bass beats from it's bigger dynamic drivers. It's a bigger wall of bass that feels more visceral on the skin of your ears.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #7,157 of 8,639
@Gus141
With this new spatial sound improvements on Sony headphone app, ZX507 together with the IER-M9 has the perfect synergy.

I would describe the sound that I am hearing as pitch perfect tonality with impeccable imaging with 3D soundstaging that is very surround like.

Male vocals has right amount of throaty huskiness and female vocals sounds sweet and extremely holographically clear.

Piano has warmth and accurate decay. Live recordings feels exactly like you were right there when the recording was made.

Dynamic Transients have right amount of attack and sustain, very well controlled. It never gets too loud nor does it sound boring.

Vocals and instruments feels harmonious together, never overpowering each other.

And it seems what I have described above is happening to all the music on my walkman regardless of the studio mastering quality and bit rate of the music.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #7,158 of 8,639
i tried setting up a profile in the headphones app! but it requires an account and i seem to have disabled whatever other app is necessaery for it while trying to cut down on the android bloatware as per your optimization/tweaks guide. any advice how to try the headphone app? i have 1am2s

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #7,159 of 8,639
i tried setting up a profile in the headphones app! but it requires an account and i seem to have disabled whatever other app is necessaery for it while trying to cut down on the android bloatware as per your optimization/tweaks guide. any advice how to try the headphone app? i have 1am2s
Enable Chrome browser.

Since ZX507 does not have camera I used another Android tablet with headphone app installed to take new pictures of my ears for 360 and then made a backup to Sony. Then on ZX507 in headphone app I did a restore and it restored the backup made from the tablet.

I don't have IER-M9, I have IER-M7, but the M7 now sounds more enhanced. My question is do you have to always open the headphone app then choose the Sony Music Player app from it to get the enhanced audio or just Music Player app? I'm thinking it will always need to open headphone app and select music player from it.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7,160 of 8,639
Enable Chrome browser.

Since ZX507 does not have camera I used another Android tablet with headphone app installed to take new pictures of my ears for 360 and then made a backup to Sony. Then on ZX507 in headphone app I did a restore and it restored the backup made from the tablet.

I don't have IER-M9, I have IER-M7, but the M7 now sounds more enhanced. My question is do you have to always open the headphone app then choose the Sony Music Player app from it to get the enhanced audio or just Music Player app? I'm thinking it will always need to open headphone app and select music player from it.

AFAIK, 360 audio only works with Tidal, Nugs or 360 by Deezer (on headphones). It works with Amazon HD only with Alexa speakers. There may some demos in the "Artist Connection" app but I haven't tried.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #7,161 of 8,639
Enable Chrome browser.

For all other 360RA enabled apps you need to do optimization individually if you change output device.

As for the walkman app, if you switch devices in headphone app seems to be apply immediately as long as you are not playing any music in the walkman app. If you happen to be playing music in the walkman app, just pause and unpause to get the new device sound.

The device specific enhanced sound retains itself across reboots without needing to relaunch the headphone app at startup.

I think this is how it works now:

Headphone app is the 3D audio HTRF wrapper/handler that does the positional audio rendering system wide. Try playing some youtube video that has 3D headphone audio, it should sound enhanced.

And if you own a modern Sony IEM/Headphone, you get to use the even more specifically enhanced 3D audio modeling.

What I think is that Walkman app probably has its own Sony developed proprietary(likely AI driven?) internal sound virtualizer that upmixes stereo music into surround like 360RA output. But of course this walkman app stereo virtualize music won't sound as 3D as true 360RA content would.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #7,162 of 8,639
Anybody know how the 507 does with final a8000 or dunu Luna?
with dunu luna it sounds fantastic a nice warm punchy sound ...if you like warmth you will like it

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #7,163 of 8,639
I really enjoy the SenseMe channels of the Sony player prior to the ZX-507. Analysis of your songs is performed offline in one of Sony’s tools such as MusicCenter (or from some of the older players, even in the player itself!) and playlists of different “moods” (energetic, dance, emotional...) would be compiled from your songs and played as one of the library options. The analysis rated each song on two dimensions... fast/slow and happy/sad.

I really miss that on the 507. Is there any way of making it do those SenseMe channels?

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #7,166 of 8,639
Anyone else having issues with the Tidal app "Home" screen? All I get is a spinning circle and eventually "No Connection - Tap to Refresh" even though I am connected to wifi. The weird thing is that everything else works, I can stream music and everything as normal. I have tried a reinstall and it still exhibits this behavior.

Edit:
Nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself. No idea how or why.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #7,167 of 8,639
Anyone else having issues with the Tidal app "Home" screen? All I get is a spinning circle and eventually "No Connection - Tap to Refresh" even though I am connected to wifi. The weird thing is that everything else works, I can stream music and everything as normal. I have tried a reinstall and it still exhibits this behavior.

Edit:
Nevermind, it seems to have fixed itself. No idea how or why.

This happened to me a few months ago.

All logins on web, iOS and Android stopped working

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #7,170 of 8,639
So based on these settings the curve should look like this? I took the settings as close as possible. The ZX507 only allows increments of 0.5.

Fixed Band EQs​

In case of using fixed band (also called graphic) equalizer, apply preamp of -5.1dB (if available) and set gains manually with these parameters.

Type​
Fc​
Q​
Gain​
Peaking​
31 Hz​
1.41​
-1.2 dB​
Peaking​
62 Hz​
1.41​
-2.9 dB​