SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #6,271 of 8,639
I've read on this thread as well as on Reddit that there is popping or clicking or some noise when pressing play/pause as well as changing tracks.

I'm not referring to a relay or something like that when you change between types of audio formats, but just the noise when pressing play/pause within the same album or changing tracks within an album or between tracks of the same quality.

I'm wondering if this happens in direct source and with all effects turned off, which is how I would probably use the device. If there is a sound, is it noticeable or do you really have to listen for it.

Also, people say this only happens in the Sony music app (pages 161-165 of this thread).

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #6,274 of 8,639
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #6,276 of 8,639
I've read on this thread as well as on Reddit that there is popping or clicking or some noise when pressing play/pause as well as changing tracks.

I'm not referring to a relay or something like that when you change between types of audio formats, but just the noise when pressing play/pause within the same album or changing tracks within an album or between tracks of the same quality.

I'm wondering if this happens in direct source and with all effects turned off, which is how I would probably use the device. If there is a sound, is it noticeable or do you really have to listen for it.

Also, people say this only happens in the Sony music app (pages 161-165 of this thread).

Thanks
I have the Japanese zx507 and I do hear some noise when skipping songs it is very brief, and it’s like static. Only happens when I press the FF or RW button.

Dec 10, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #6,277 of 8,639

Thanks

it only happens if you use the touch screen/soft buttons to play/pause/fwd/rev... doesn't happen with hard buttons.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #6,278 of 8,639
I'm trying to decide on a 4.4mm balanced cable for my inbound XBA-3N, I didn't get the version with the 4.4mm cable included. I was debating the Sony Kimber (and still am...) but I read somewhere that it might be a bit heavy for the 3N when not wearing over the ear which I won't be - does anyone have any experience with this cable and the 3N? I've looked at lots of other brands on Ali Express but can't find one that ticks all the boxes... i.e. I'd prefer a black headphone jack and MMXC connectors to match my Black ZX507 - my ideal is a black soft cable with black connectors and little or no microphonics - the standard Sony 4.4m seems to tick the first few boxes but what about microphonics? Oh and most on Ali appear to be over the ear style, not sure how handy I'll be at taking off the plastic to have a straight connection to the 3Ns.

Any other suggestions? I don't have enough experience and appreciate there is a long standing debate over the sound quality provided by better/more expensive cables... not one I can enter into but I am prepared to spend more for a good looking and well built cable that matches my DAP!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #6,279 of 8,639
Why isn't a battery and a case a good idea?

Why shouldn't you use chargers over 1A? Doesn't the USB-C circuitry negotiate voltages?

As far as the 80%, that's a setting on the device itself. I don't understand why charger amperage would affect the charge level of the device.
it's manual.
it's recommendations to increase battery life time of small batteries.
basic rule if battery is 2000 mA/h, than 1000 mA charger is recommended. (1/2 damping factor)

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #6,280 of 8,639
I think the charging circuit is smart enough not to screw up your battery. The only real way to know what's going on with the charging current is to put a measuring device between the ZX500 and the usb-c cable.

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #6,281 of 8,639
I think the charging circuit is smart enough not to screw up your battery. The only real way to know what's going on with the charging current is to put a measuring device between the ZX500 and the usb-c cable.
current characteristics is written on the charger.
I charge zx507 with 1A iphone charger. ~5h full charge (usually I stop on 80-90%)
more current = faster charge. 2A charger = charged over 50% in less than 1 h.
although it's not recommended to use fast charger to charge over 70-80%, u can use it fast recharge ur device on the run from 20% to 70-80%
I also try not the go below 20%.

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #6,282 of 8,639
current characteristics is written on the charger.
That's the maximum the charger will output. The receiving device decides how much it wants/can handle.

I charge zx507 with 1A iphone charger. ~5h full charge (usually I stop on 80-90%)
more current = faster charge. 2A charger = charged over 50% in less than 1 h.
Yes, and that goes back to what the receiving device will handle/accept. You can't just keep adding output Amperage on the charger and say that the receiving device will accept it. If that were the case, there'd be lots of devices going BOOM.

although it's not recommended to use fast charger to charge over 70-80%, u can use it fast recharge ur device on the run from 20% to 70-80%
I also try not the go below 20%.
For battery longevity, yes, though that's dependent on cell voltage. If Sony has made the choice to show 100% battery at 4.10 volts, the battery will last longer than charging to 4.20 volts. Point being, don't try and rely solely on percentages.

Dec 10, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #6,283 of 8,639
That's the maximum the charger will output. The receiving device decides how much it wants/can handle.

Yes, and that goes back to what the receiving device will handle/accept. You can't just keep adding output Amperage on the charger and say that the receiving device will accept it. If that were the case, there'd be lots of devices going BOOM.

For battery longevity, yes, though that's dependent on cell voltage. If Sony has made the choice to show 100% battery at 4.10 volts, the battery will last longer than charging to 4.20 volts. Point being, don't try and rely solely on percentages.

Exactly, the device consumes current from the charger, and it's not the charger "pushing" current into the device.

A thing would be that the charger should have enough output capacity for the device that it's connected to.

If the charger has less capacity, then the device puts a load on the charger that is bigger than the charger's capacity, which is not ok, as it's out of spec of the charger.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #6,284 of 8,639
Hello, I am new to here, I am also an owner of this player.
May I know if I can use say MacBook USB charger/Nintendo Switch USB charger to charge it?
Since the manual mentioning should connect to a PC to charge it, any risk if I charge it with other USB C chargers?

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #6,285 of 8,639
Hello, I am new to here, I am also an owner of this player.
May I know if I can use say MacBook USB charger/Nintendo Switch USB charger to charge it?
Since the manual mentioning should connect to a PC to charge it, any risk if I charge it with other USB C chargers?
Use any good quality high output charger. A 5Volt output charger, of course. Your Macbook or Nintendo charger is fine, as long as it is a 5V output.
The higher the output capacity of the charger, the better, as it will have lots of safety margin, and will run cool, and not overload and break down. Modern devices have a built in charge circuit, which will detect the device condition, and moderate the charge current. It will charge at a higher current if the device is very low in charge/voltage, and then reduce the current as the battery voltage rises when it is around 70-80%.

Here's a nice chart that summarizes how voltage/current behaves during charging.
https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/
Battery-Charge-Voltage-vs-Time.png

Some previous discussions/recommendations on charging practices, in the WM1x thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15604331
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15657663

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back