SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #6,196 of 8,639
I've only been on CHN (0003) firmware for a couple weeks, and tbh, even given that I prefer to use low gain on this firmware (???? I know, I know, but it's true), and I also prefer to have High Res Streaming turned <Off>, I get pretty much the same battery drain as I did previously using International & JPN firmwares (with those I used high gain & High Res Streaming <On>.

Now, that said, I tend to get ~6% (+/- .5%) battery drain per hour of "normal" music playing (i.e., minimal screen use). I listen to ~90% 16 bit ALAC, ~10% 24 bit ALAC; 4.4 output, low gain, vol 70-75 (depending upon transducer used), High Res Streaming <Off>, Direct Source <On>

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #6,197 of 8,639
Did the battery improve with using the chinese fw version? was there a significant difference with the sound?

I didn't do any scientific measurement, but I did not notice any change in sound or battery life. I had already disabled unused apps, etc with the Japanese firmware. Side-loading apps with the Chinese firmware was a bit of a pain, so I plan to keep Play Store for now.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #6,198 of 8,639
hey all

my wm1a is having issues and sony are replacing it for free

they said i can have the wm1a or this zx500

which is better? i listen to electronic (old trance/house) and some indie house

i use IER-Z1Rs

thanks for the advice :)

if you like bass and mids go zx500

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #6,199 of 8,639
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #6,200 of 8,639
Hi Everyone, I have just received the ZX507 and I havent been able to make it last longer than 8-9hr. This is a Japanese version, using the 3.5 output, hi-res streaming off, Clear Audio off, DSEE Ult on, DC Phase On and Vynil processor on. I am using the Sony app mostly, no streaming and wifi and bt off. Sound is great but I am not thrilled with the battery.
I wanted to try to sidegrade to the Chinese version to see if the battery lasts longer without the google play services. I am in firmware version 4.02 however when I try to do a manual firmware upgrade to the chinese firmware (0003), the walkman just does want to do it. It does see the manual upgrade, but when I press the button to start it just errors out. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if Sony put some type of protection to the v4 firmware to prevent users from using other region fw.

Can somebody point me out were can I find some instructions to change the firmware to another region. I managed to find a youtube video from a chinese guy converting a ZX505 from chinese fw to International. I am following those instructions but I am not able to change the firmware.
what is "clear audio"??

1) u use upsampling. it's very power hungry on FW3.0 +
switch it OFF if u dont listen to mp3.
2) perhaps, u use screen too much.
just dont use screen.
3) or U listen to dsd files. with dsd u will get no more than 10 h.
4) or u have runnning programs on the background. close it. leave walkman app only.
5) and go to BT and switch NFC OFF.

I listened to almost 8000 songs in random order and click forward if I want next song.
I still get 17-18h of playback (based on 2h playback sample) on 4.4mm output, high gain.
hires ON,
upsampling and battery saving OFF,
mix of mp3, cd, hires, dsd.
eq, DC phase, vinyl, volume lin ON.
screen almost unused.

I have JP FW 4.0. I advice u not to go to CN or any else.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #6,201 of 8,639
what is "clear audio"??

1) u use upsampling. it's very power hungry on FW3.0 +
switch it OFF if u dont listen to mp3.
2) perhaps, u use screen too much.
just dont use screen.
3) or U listen to dsd files. with dsd u will get no more than 10 h.
4) or u have runnning programs on the background. close it. leave walkman app only.
5) and go to BT and switch NFC OFF.

I listened to almost 8000 songs in random order and click forward if I want next song.
I still get 17-18h of playback (based on 2h playback sample) on 4.4mm output, high gain.
hires ON,
upsampling and battery saving OFF,
mix of mp3, cd, hires, dsd.
eq, DC phase, vinyl, volume lin ON.
screen almost unused.

I have JP FW 4.0. I advice u not to go to CN or any else.

By the way, "hi-res on" is also upsampling.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #6,202 of 8,639
By the way, "hi-res on" is also upsampling.
perhaps, however is does not drain battery as instance as DSEE Ultimate.
today I got 8-9h playback with DSEE ON (other wise all the same; based on 1h playback sample, 12-13% in 63minutes)

Dec 4, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #6,203 of 8,639
It seems to let you flash another region only when there is an update. I was able to switch back and forth on earlier firmware revisions but not on the last two updates. I was actually stuck on Chinese until the most recent update which switched me back to Japanese.
You can only sidegrade from Chinese to anything else. from my testing. did that on previous firmware as well as this new 4.0 version

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #6,204 of 8,639
You can only sidegrade from Chinese to anything else. from my testing. did that on previous firmware as well as this new 4.0 version

I was definitely able to switch from Japanese to Chinese on earlier firmware, however one of the more recent updates caused me to get stuck on Chinese (trying to switch back caused an error). The latest update (4.0) switched me back to Japanese automatically which is where I plan to stay.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #6,205 of 8,639
Understood Thanks for the feedback on the FW side-grade.

Also is 8 - 9 hr the same battery life that other users are experiencing? Ive applied all of the tweaks from Sonywalkmanuser, however I still get much worse battery life than the A105.

I am exploring a new theory. In the A105 I am using an SD card to do all the storage of music. In the ZX507 I placed the music files in the internal storage of the player. tonight I am trying out moving all the music files to external storage to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back if there is some sort of significant change..
I have Japanese import version and with wifi/bt/nfc off and the numerous uninstalls & turning off Android stuff I get around 14hrs low gain, balanced in Walkman app with mostly FLAC files with volume at ~70 with my IEM's. Dirwct mode, hi-res option off as not needed with Walkman app.

Mines also fully powerd off when I finish listening, no standby use.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #6,206 of 8,639
I have Japanese import version and with wifi/bt/nfc off and the numerous uninstalls & turning off Android stuff I get around 14hrs low gain, balanced in Walkman app with mostly FLAC files with volume at ~70 with my IEM's. Dirwct mode, hi-res option off as not needed with Walkman app.

Mines also fully powerd off when I finish listening, no standby use.
it's largely irrelevant
he wrote that he has upsampling DSEE ULTIMATE ON.
this feature drains battery a lot on FW 3 and 4

Dec 5, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #6,207 of 8,639
it's largely irrelevant
he wrote that he has upsampling DSEE ULTIMATE ON.
this feature drains battery a lot on FW 3 and 4
I think you nailed it. I was going a bit crazy trying to understand why the battery on the NZ507 was running so short. I was thinking my player was broken or something. So last night I ran a different test. I fully charged the player and turned off all processing options and left it overnight. The player has been playing for about 9 hours and it still has 50% battery so one (or more) of the sound processing features seems to be eating the battery quickly.

As I am doing the burn in of the player, I will test tonight the battery just enabling DSEE ULTIMATE. I want to try out all the different sound processing options to test which ones are battery killers

Just for reference I had already streamlined the android configuration using the instructions in this forum, I do use Spotify, but mostly offline so I keep wifi/bt/nfc off most of the time. Also use audiobooks but again all downloaded to the player.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #6,208 of 8,639
I think you nailed it. I was going a bit crazy trying to understand why the battery on the NZ507 was running so short. I was thinking my player was broken or something. So last night I ran a different test. I fully charged the player and turned off all processing options and left it overnight. The player has been playing for about 9 hours and it still has 50% battery so one (or more) of the sound processing features seems to be eating the battery quickly.

As I am doing the burn in of the player, I will test tonight the battery just enabling DSEE ULTIMATE. I want to try out all the different sound processing options to test which ones are battery killers

Just for reference I had already streamlined the android configuration using the instructions in this forum, I do use Spotify, but mostly offline so I keep wifi/bt/nfc off most of the time. Also use audiobooks but again all downloaded to the player.
don't bother urself.
it's DSEE upsampling that drains batter 2x faster.
feel free to use EQ and other features, including hi-res streaming they all are battery friendly.

Dec 5, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #6,210 of 8,639
We should make bets on how long will the battery last with all DSP settings on, hi-res upsampling on, wifi and BT on and all playing 24/192 or DSD! I say 5h flush :)
if u use screen all time, switching tracks, albums, etc, it will not last 3h.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back