SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #6,181 of 8,639
Has anyone tried android auto with their ZX507?
My car supports both carplay and android auto, but I am not sure if the SONY DAPs have the capability
I use it everyday in my car.had to download the app first I believe.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #6,182 of 8,639
hey all

my wm1a is having issues and sony are replacing it for free

they said i can have the wm1a or this zx500

which is better? i listen to electronic (old trance/house) and some indie house

i use IER-Z1Rs

thanks for the advice :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #6,183 of 8,639
hey all

i use IER-Z1Rs

If you don’t need streaming/android, I would go with WM1A.

Significantly more battery life, more output power to drive your Z1R’s, and the option to customise the sound with @MrWalkman ’s custom firmware :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:38 AM Post #6,184 of 8,639
hey all

i use IER-Z1Rs

zx507 EQ is great. when i listened to wm1A, eq was not responding. i made same dead eq on zx507 by clicking on saved sound settings.(never saved before)
i restored eq function by clicking "reset sound adjustments"
zx507 has better and ergonomic design. u can put it in the pocket.

u should listen to non eu model zx507 on high gain.
if sound satisfies u, pull the trigger.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #6,185 of 8,639
zx507 EQ is great. when i listened to wm1A, eq was not responding. i made same dead eq on zx507 by clicking on saved sound settings.(never saved before)
i restored eq function by clicking "reset sound adjustments"
zx507 has better and ergonomic design. u can put it in the pocket.

u should listen to non eu model zx507 on high gain.
if sound satisfies u, pull the trigger.

The EQ works just fine on my WM1A, so I'm not sure what to say about this.

Yeah, ZX507 could be lighter, but the battery life does not compare to WM1A, and WM1A has slightly more power.

Dec 3, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #6,186 of 8,639
The EQ works just fine on my WM1A, so I'm not sure what to say about this.

Yeah, ZX507 could be lighter, but the battery life does not compare to WM1A, and WM1A has slightly more power.
I believe reset audio adjustments bring EQ back to life both on zx507 and wm1A.
if u want experience effects of dead EQ, just select "saved audio settings" on walkman app. if those 3 option had never been saved before, u will get dead EQ.
I experienced dead eq on wm1a, ak sp100m, ak se100 when I listened to these DAPs in the shops.
and on my zx507 when I select "saved" audio settings.
I still get 17-18h of playback based on 2h playback sample on 4.4mm output.
hires ON,
upsampling and battery saving OFF,
mix of mp3, cd, hires, dsd.
eq, DC phase, vinyl, volume lin ON.
screen almost unused.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #6,187 of 8,639
If you need long battery life, no streaming and happy with the weight/size stick with what you have.

For SQ not really anything in it but slightly prefer the ZX507 myself but don't have EU capped version and only use IEM's. I've never run battery down in a day of listening but only listen to offline streamed music, not live via WiFi.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #6,189 of 8,639
Hi Everyone, I have just received the ZX507 and I havent been able to make it last longer than 8-9hr. This is a Japanese version, using the 3.5 output, hi-res streaming off, Clear Audio off, DSEE Ult on, DC Phase On and Vynil processor on. I am using the Sony app mostly, no streaming and wifi and bt off. Sound is great but I am not thrilled with the battery.
I wanted to try to sidegrade to the Chinese version to see if the battery lasts longer without the google play services. I am in firmware version 4.02 however when I try to do a manual firmware upgrade to the chinese firmware (0003), the walkman just does want to do it. It does see the manual upgrade, but when I press the button to start it just errors out. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if Sony put some type of protection to the v4 firmware to prevent users from using other region fw.

Can somebody point me out were can I find some instructions to change the firmware to another region. I managed to find a youtube video from a chinese guy converting a ZX505 from chinese fw to International. I am following those instructions but I am not able to change the firmware.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #6,190 of 8,639
Hi Everyone, I have just received the ZX507 and I havent been able to make it last longer than 8-9hr. This is a Japanese version, using the 3.5 output, hi-res streaming off, Clear Audio off, DSEE Ult on, DC Phase On and Vynil processor on. I am using the Sony app mostly, no streaming and wifi and bt off. Sound is great but I am not thrilled with the battery.
I wanted to try to sidegrade to the Chinese version to see if the battery lasts longer without the google play services. I am in firmware version 4.02 however when I try to do a manual firmware upgrade to the chinese firmware (0003), the walkman just does want to do it. It does see the manual upgrade, but when I press the button to start it just errors out. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if Sony put some type of protection to the v4 firmware to prevent users from using other region fw.

Can somebody point me out were can I find some instructions to change the firmware to another region. I managed to find a youtube video from a chinese guy converting a ZX505 from chinese fw to International. I am following those instructions but I am not able to change the firmware.

It seems to let you flash another region only when there is an update. I was able to switch back and forth on earlier firmware revisions but not on the last two updates. I was actually stuck on Chinese until the most recent update which switched me back to Japanese.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #6,191 of 8,639

Usually you can only do the side-grade from a previous version to the latest.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #6,192 of 8,639

As noted, it appears "side"-grading ability was taken away the previous firmware version.

Might help to follow @Sonywalkmanuser 's tweak guide, upthread here---> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-57#post-15339376

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #6,193 of 8,639
Understood Thanks for the feedback on the FW side-grade.

Also is 8 - 9 hr the same battery life that other users are experiencing? Ive applied all of the tweaks from Sonywalkmanuser, however I still get much worse battery life than the A105.

I am exploring a new theory. In the A105 I am using an SD card to do all the storage of music. In the ZX507 I placed the music files in the internal storage of the player. tonight I am trying out moving all the music files to external storage to see if it makes a difference. I'll report back if there is some sort of significant change..

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #6,194 of 8,639
It seems to let you flash another region only when there is an update. I was able to switch back and forth on earlier firmware revisions but not on the last two updates. I was actually stuck on Chinese until the most recent update which switched me back to Japanese.
Did the battery improve with using the chinese fw version? was there a significant difference with the sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back