SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #6,106 of 8,631
v4 Firmware available, YAY! We gOt UsB dAc MoDe aNd BlUeToOtH rEceiVeR fiNallY! SoNy I LoVe yOu :deadhorse:

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #6,108 of 8,631
I think @emilsoft was making a joke because he wants those functions (I want USB DAC too) but the release notes from Sony:

Features added to Ver. 4.00
360 Reality Audio has been enabled. (360 Reality Audio may not be available in all countries and regions.)

Yup, seems it's all there is to the new FW.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6,110 of 8,631
How does this volume cap work? How does the DAP know how efficient the headphones are? Isn't this just an output cap?

Not sure about any impedance detection, but normally, it's just the output volume being reduced, aka the DAC/S-Master is "instructed" to output at a lower volume.

That's how it works on the non-Android devices, and as far as I've seen, the Android ones are not so different.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #6,111 of 8,631
a major version bump from 3 to 4, one would think we are getting some major features many people have been asking for... what do we get? 360 Reality audio... gee thanks

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #6,112 of 8,631
There is a menu option, I think is called AVLS. You can basically turn off the volume cap. I think it works ok. I guess Sony is hearing the feedback....
Sorry, but that's not true, AVLS is a separate thing that can indeed be turned off.
Volume cap is the lack of high gain, and apparently also the lower volume in general, and you can't do anything about them.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #6,113 of 8,631
BTW I just purchased 3 Sony DAPs: A55, A105 and ZX507. I still haven’t received the ZX507. I’m trying to read all the forums trying to absorb all the knowledge I can find. I am probably choosing to keep only one of them..so far I am very impressed with the a55, with mrwalkman firmware (BIG THANKS TO MR WALKMAN). That said I do use online services so the a105 works very well for me. I followed some of the battery optimization instructions and I think I can get close to 10 hours battery using the Sony app, or Spotify with offline option. Really curious to hear the zx507, I’m hoping that one is the keeper..

Now I am trying to figure out a good set of iems because I feel that most of the headphones I own are a bit lacking. As far as headphones goes I own Sony wh1000xm4, Bose sound sport, Shure E3c, Sony mdrnw750m, apple AirPods and AirPods Pro. Looking for a reasonably priced iems with accurate bass and treble.

Anyway looking to hear from other members who have experienced these DAPs an what has been the overall impression. Also looking for some more recommendation of iems. I’m thinking about trying some of the Chinese brands for a change...

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #6,114 of 8,631
BTW I just purchased 3 Sony DAPs: A55, A105 and ZX507. I still haven’t received the ZX507. I’m trying to read all the forums trying to absorb all the knowledge I can find. I am probably choosing to keep only one of them..so far I am very impressed with the a55, with mrwalkman firmware (BIG THANKS TO MR WALKMAN). That said I do use online services so the a105 works very well for me. I followed some of the battery optimization instructions and I think I can get close to 10 hours battery using the Sony app, or Spotify with offline option. Really curious to hear the zx507, I’m hoping that one is the keeper..

Now I am trying to figure out a good set of iems because I feel that most of the headphones I own are a bit lacking. As far as headphones goes I own Sony wh1000xm4, Bose sound sport, Shure E3c, Sony mdrnw750m, apple AirPods and AirPods Pro. Looking for a reasonably priced iems with accurate bass and treble.

Anyway looking to hear from other members who have experienced these DAPs an what has been the overall impression. Also looking for some more recommendation of iems. I’m thinking about trying some of the Chinese brands for a change...

Nice!

I also recommend trying the Bluetooth Receiver function on the A55, as a replacement for the online services, which you can have on the smartphone basically.

There no SIM data anyway on the Android ones, so you would have to share Wi-Fi from the smartphone if you are out in the world.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #6,115 of 8,631
Nice!

I also recommend trying the Bluetooth Receiver function on the A55, as a replacement for the online services, which you can have on the smartphone basically.

There no SIM data anyway on the Android ones, so you would have to share Wi-Fi from the smartphone if you are out in the world.
That is the only function I haven’t tried, will do some testing over the weekend. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #6,118 of 8,631
it does put the Japanese version on the player, might not be too different other than a couple of extra apps.

I tried to guess the URL for the US version and no go. I thought it was 0000

0000 is international, 0001 is Japan, 0003 is China. No idea on the others as I haven't tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back