SONY NW-ZX500
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #5,836 of 8,639
From the UK sony site:

3.5mm: MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).
4.4mm MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 0.4-1.1mW (32Ω).

In comparison with the Canadian site:
3.5mm: MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 50 mW + 50 mW (High Gain)
4.4mm MAXIMUM POWER OUTPUT (JEITA 16Ω/MW) 200 mW + 200 mW (High Gain)

Seems almost too low to be true but those are the Sony numbers.

Yeah, hence the question, they look too low?

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #5,837 of 8,639
Yeah I haven't heard the capped version but I trust you, twice! :) The ZX507 non capped version I have is already quite low powered compared to today's DAP offering and this capped version just does not make any sense to me at all. Go international or get something else.

It’s been fine with EVE20 but with Nio on the way, I’m not so sure.

Oct 17, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #5,839 of 8,639
Mad EU rule.

Oct 18, 2020 at 3:29 AM Post #5,840 of 8,639
The ifi Zen Can looks interesting with its 4.4mm input and output.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #5,841 of 8,639
The ifi Zen Can looks interesting with its 4.4mm input and output.

I have an Ifi Zen Blue arriving today.

I am a big LDAC fan

If I can get LDAC to to my living room hifi and use the 507 's eq to tweak a little I will be happy. (Because I won't have to worry about battery drain - I could keep it plugged into power)

I have a fancy re-clocker (see my signature) hopefully that can get put to use on the optical out signal of the Zen Blue before it reaches my DAC or I might try a bnc cable if I can find one.

Will report back.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #5,842 of 8,639
So I hooked up the Ifi Zen Blue

I posted about it here in the Zen Blue thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-zen-blue-the-official-thread.915747/page-18#post-15925032

I am liking It! Especially since the last up update to make the 507's global eq work over Bluetooth.

Armchair eq tweakage + no battery running out worries. (Just keep the 507 attached to usb C power)

To me this set up makes for a credible HiRes portable player AND living room main system solution.

As I have hit 60 and am an ex music producer (monitoring too loud in recording studios) I now need a little help with eq boosting high frequencies.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #5,843 of 8,639
Hello, potential 507 buyer here, i have some questions i would like to ask. not sure if i can find info on the web myself specifically.

1. i currently own an Astell & Kern SR15, and id like to upgrade to something with more battery, better sound and better OS/interface. im a fan of Sony products and was wondering if this would be a good solution. i was considering the Sony NW-WM1A but when i saw that 22-pin connector i ran for the hills, doesn't seem as durable or reliable or future proof. (when i say future proof, i mean 3+ years of ownership.)

2. I do own the Sony Z7m2, and was wondering how long the ZX507 could power them for normal listening volumes on 16bit 44.1 flacs (95% of my music collection is that format specifically).

3. As i live in Canada, is there a guaranteed way to find out (markings or serial no.) if the version im getting is the Canadian one and not the EU one with volume limiter ? (will most likely be purchasing this through amazon Canada)

4. Is there a good case for this thats not an obscene amount? ive seen the leather book type case for it, but for 180$ it seems extremely unreasonable.

5. Would it, in theory, work if I used a 3.5mm (male) to USB-C (male) to connect my PS4 Pro DS4 controller headphone out, to the Sony ZX507, then connect my DT1990 Pro for example to the DAP. would it act as a mini portable dac/amp for the DS4 controller?

Oct 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #5,844 of 8,639
Hello, potential 507 buyer here, i have some questions i would like to ask. not sure if i can find info on the web myself specifically.

1. i currently own an Astell & Kern SR15, and id like to upgrade to something with more battery, better sound and better OS/interface. im a fan of Sony products and was wondering if this would be a good solution. i was considering the Sony NW-WM1A but when i saw that 22-pin connector i ran for the hills, doesn't seem as durable or reliable or future proof. (when i say future proof, i mean 3+ years of ownership.)

2. I do own the Sony Z7m2, and was wondering how long the ZX507 could power them for normal listening volumes on 16bit 44.1 flacs (95% of my music collection is that format specifically).

3. As i live in Canada, is there a guaranteed way to find out (markings or serial no.) if the version im getting is the Canadian one and not the EU one with volume limiter ? (will most likely be purchasing this through amazon Canada)

4. Is there a good case for this thats not an obscene amount? ive seen the leather book type case for it, but for 180$ it seems extremely unreasonable.

5. Would it, in theory, work if I used a 3.5mm (male) to USB-C (male) to connect my PS4 Pro DS4 controller headphone out, to the Sony ZX507, then connect my DT1990 Pro for example to the DAP. would it act as a mini portable dac/amp for the DS4 controller?

1. I can't say as I don't own a SR25. What would be better sound for you? Battery life of the ZX507 is pretty average.

2. I can run my AFC RT at high gain, 90/120 volume, EQ and dsee on, battery optimization done, wifi and BT off, playing 44.1/16 flacs at 80% and the rest higher res for around <8 hours from 100% to <10%. Based on a headphone power req calculator, my AFC RT take quite a lot more power than the Z7m2 to get to the same level so you should be fine. Some that has both can likely provide more details.

3. Got mine from Bay Bloor Radio in Canada and they have the canadian version. No way to tell from Amazon unless you check with the seller directly first.

4. I have a Dignis case which was $130cdn and a $20 cdn clear silicone case from AliExpress. I know Miter and Benks make some reasonably priced options too.

5. I don't know anything about PS4 stuff but the ZX507 is not a USB dac. It can be used as a source but cannot get an external signal in any way, it only outputs stuff.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #5,845 of 8,639
1. I can't say as I don't own a SR25. What would be better sound for you? Battery life of the ZX507 is pretty average.

2. I can run my AFC RT at high gain, 90/120 volume, EQ and dsee on, battery optimization done, wifi and BT off, playing 44.1/16 flacs at 80% and the rest higher res for around <8 hours from 100% to <10%. Based on a headphone power req calculator, my AFC RT take quite a lot more power than the Z7m2 to get to the same level so you should be fine. Some that has both can likely provide more details.

3. Got mine from Bay Bloor Radio in Canada and they have the canadian version. No way to tell from Amazon unless you check with the seller directly first.

4. I have a Dignis case which was $130cdn and a $20 cdn clear silicone case from AliExpress. I know Miter and Benks make some reasonably priced options too.

5. I don't know anything about PS4 stuff but the ZX507 is not a USB dac. It can be used as a source but cannot get an external signal in any way, it only outputs stuff.
Thanks very much, this is very useful information.
im wondering if i can order from Bay Bloor Radio (their inToronto, and im in Montreal) if anything happens if they would have it repaired or otherwise. hmm
what kind of headphones are AFC RT ?

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #5,846 of 8,639
If there is an issue, the warranty will kick in. I don't think you can easily find someone that can repair this kind of device around. If warranty is off, gotta have to contact a Sony service center.

They are a reputable shop. I am in Montreal too and Bay Bloor was the first to have it when I wanted it. Now, Filion Électronique as it as well in silver in Montréal. I bought my AVR there a few years ago. Great service, they let me tried a few models and had a swtiching system that allowed me to compare 4 brands in an instant.

AFC RT are Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Closed, RT revision. They are planars.

Oct 18, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #5,847 of 8,639
im wondering if i can order from Bay Bloor Radio (their inToronto, and im in Montreal) if anything happens if they would have it repaired or otherwise. hmm
Certainly usable imho. Obviusly you'll get better performance with something a little more powerful, but the MDR-Z1R is fairly easy to drive and sounds pretty good to me from the ZX507.

Yeah, MDR-Z1R should be fair easy to drive. Its impedance is rated 64 ohm. My SONY MDR-Z7 is rated at 70 ohm. It drives very well with my customized pure 6n/7n single nucleus silver 16/12 core balance audio cables. I always have customized my cables. I feel the original cables come with whatever headphones I have don't have synergy with the headphone. I always feel the original cables muffle a lot of energy and powers from the delicate source. The headphones and IEMs like Sennheisser HD800 s/Sony Z1R/Shure SE860 are highly sensitive devices. Even a small amount of power/energy loss during the transferring process can change the sound a bit.

With the cable, I heard astounding amount of details and power. Of course, you have to pay close attention and let the sound moving through you. If your attention is divided let say hearing and seeing at the same time, of course, you are not going to hear or feel as much details and powers. Your brain only can process so much information at a time. Last night, I was listening to some ASMR thunder ambient rain sound with my MDR-Z7 and my eyes closed. I feel the rain drops that are closest to me occasionally hit me with such power as if they are hitting my headphone directly from above outside. It produced such vibration in force as they hit my windows or umbrella when I am outside at the beginning of heavy rain storm with the dark clouds gathering around me. I feel the force of the "thud" sound. The thunder was a frightening experience as the clap moving from cloud to cloud. I can feel the movement in the air. My sound volume is rather lower at 46.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #5,848 of 8,639

I recommend zx507. sound quality/price, ergonomics, powerful EQ (reset sound adjustments settings if eq is not responding).
wm1A sounds fantastic, however, it's bulky, and eq was dead and I assume I listens to EU volume capped model. I was not satisfied with bass presentation, and eq did not work.
ak sp1000m and se100. same story with dead eq, however sound of wm1A was far more superior for me (I listened those 3 dap in 1 month).
bass on zx507 especially (4,4 with mdr 1Am2) is phenomenal. u will feel subbass (particularly with eq tune). not as huge and colossal as on hd820 with proper amp, but still very impressive.
for me
I assume I did not listen to the best version of wm1A.
perhaps with newer FW, and without volume cap, and with reset of sound adjustments (eq will come back to life), wm1A will outperform zx507.
however, without that tweaks, in my opinion, zx507 clearly outperforms sound of wm1A regarding bass and is +- on par regarding mids and highs. I heard thar sound stage of wm1a was bigger than on zx507.
however now there is option of high-res streaming ON, that offers u nice 3D sound on zx507. maybe we can assume that wm1a lost its claimed advantage regarding sound stage.

about reset of sound adjustments.
I chose 1 of 3 sound presets [eq, upscaling, and other DSP] (all were empty) on zx507, and EQ died. it stopped responding. no matter how u tune it, u get from little to no responds.
reset of sound adjustment settings turned things back to normal.
by the way, that sound signature [with dead eq] may be close to wm1A, perhaps many audiophile will enjoy it.
about z7m2, they are less efficient that z1r.
I believe both will be driven quite good by 4.4 output of zx507, however, I suppose more power is required to experience the true potential of bass and sub-bass presentation capabilities of z1r and z7m2.
lowest fr are hardest to drive, as I understand.
zx507 drove hd820 very loud, however sub-bass can't reach its full potential it had shown with proper AK "wheel" DAC/AMP.
if u are not bass hungry, it's not an issue, though...

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #5,849 of 8,639
I came from the SR15 and the Sony is superior in every way, sound, soundstage, UI build quality, once you run the tweaks from the guide even battery life is better, it's just smooth and sweet sounding best buy to date

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #5,850 of 8,639
I came from the SR15 and the Sony is superior in every way, sound, soundstage, UI build quality, once you run the tweaks from the guide even battery life is better, it's just smooth and sweet sounding best buy to date
Which guide are you refering too?
also im glad to meet another person who made the choice im going to make.
I didnt mind at first the SR15, but then... sometimes it wont turn on, and i have to try multiple times for it to turn on.
pointy edges
micro-usb (terrble)
not enough power for normal headphones (Z7m2 or even B&O H6 gen 2)
bad button layout and configuration, and terrible UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back