SONY NW-ZX500
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #3,991 of 8,633
@minzink @Dcell7 Thanks, I appreciate the info. Still pondering what DAP to get, but the 507 is a contender.
As a 507 owner, yes the play time isn't as long as some proprietary music players, but it runs android so uses more battery than most others. Obviously this is for the market that likes to use tidal/quobuz etc. And with high gain and no volume cap, it really is an amazing sounding player. If you fit this market it's a great device. It powers the lcdi4 comfortably.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #3,993 of 8,633
As a 507 owner, yes the play time isn't as long as some proprietary music players, but it runs android so uses more battery than most others. Obviously this is for the market that likes to use tidal/quobuz etc. And with high gain and no volume cap, it really is an amazing sounding player. If you fit this market it's a great device. It powers the lcdi4 comfortably.

Fully agree! My main issue was the EU volume limitation. An uncapped player is surely worth its money. Battery lifetime was not that bad to me.... If you could had got an uncapped ZX507 for a reasonable price, this had been my first choice. further, for sure there is some potential with future FW updates. But now I am happy with my NW-WM1A.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #3,995 of 8,633
You can install international firmware on your zx505 which will enable google playstore.
Yep, I assumed that to be the case. For me, it's mostly about finding a source for purchase that doesn't make me nervous. I'm looking at eBay (Japanese domestic ZX-507); knowing it falls under the $800 threshold for import duty makes going that route a contender. I can still get it for a little less than buying a US version. But enough to deal with potential warranty headaches? That's the rub in buying international in this game, right? hahahaha

Jul 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #3,996 of 8,633
My ZX507 is a domestic Japanese unit. I got it back in early dec2019 before it was officially released in my country. So far it's working fine with no issues apart from very rare Walkman app crashes or unresponsive YouTube requiring soft-reboot. It's a very well machined product made in Malaysia.

So far no issues with Wifi speed or range. Bluetooth is rock stable and far ranging.
Charging is also really fast if you use usb-pd charger.

Sony House Sound Signature is definitely worth the price of admission if you haven't experienced it. Pair up to a good iem, you will find it very hard to stop listening once you start because the sound on the ZX507 is way too enjoyable.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #3,997 of 8,633
Offtopic: It kind of cracks me up that if I buy from a Japanese seller through eBay (or Amazon for that matter), I'll have to pay my state's sales tax. eBay/Amazon is merely the electronic conduit, but my state gets its cut. Ridiculous. Anyway, again, since the $800 threshold would not be reached, at least I wouldn't have to worry about import duty. I was thinking of accessoryjack, but apparently his online store is shutdown. Not sure of the circumstances.

On-topic: At the risk of being extremely elementary, when it comes to burn-in:
1) should we leave the player plugged in? harmful to the battery? I suppose the choice is that or "using up" charge cycles by burning-in while not plugged in.

2) we're only concerned about the capacitors and such when it come to burn-in, right? do we also need to "burn-in" both the SE & balanced output jacks by having headphones attached while burning in as well?

EDIT: NVM the 2nd part above. I've actually been reading this thread from the start over the past few days, and just now I finally got to page 204 where @Sonywalkmanuser states unequivocally that the headphone jacks need to be burned in.

I'm still wondering about whether we should have it plugged in constantly while burning in.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #3,998 of 8,633
JoyBuy is a legitimate store. They are the international website of JD which is a very large company in china and is traded on the Nasdaq even. Now that said, because of COVID and just China shipping in general, shipping time may be really slow to other parts of the world.

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #3,999 of 8,633
It is ok to leave the walkman plugged in to perform the burn-in.

Modern charging circuitry will manage maintance charging, cycling properly. No worries of overcharging.

When using the Walkman or any lithium battery based product. It is recommended not to drain the battery completely before recharging. Once you drop to 20% or below, start to find a charger.

Also when charging, make sure the device has good ventilation, as it will generate heat. Don't place inside a non-air circulating environment like a bag or covering up with a cloth or etc. Heat is the main reason why battery lifespan/condition gets prematurely decrease.

Though it is good idea to do a full discharge followed by a full charge once every six months to allow the charge circuitry/android to calibrate the battery.

Aside from this, the Walkman internal S-master dac/amp is super power efficient, especially if you are just using the stock Walkman music app to play off line music. The battery should last 3 to 5yrs depending on your listening usage.

My 5 year old Sony ZX2 Walkman still holds good playback time till this day.

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #4,001 of 8,633
The Sunday situation

4581D1AF-DA60-4375-895C-57F7BB7478DE.jpeg

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #4,003 of 8,633
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #4,004 of 8,633
how’s the Noble iems w the ZX507? they look amazin btw

I've been using Shure SE846's for last 3 years and still do but had these around 3 months and they do have the edge in clarity, sound stage and treble over the Shure's. The SE846's are still more comfortable/durable. I tend to use the K10U indoors & the SE846's when out & about.

Both sound fantastic with the ZX507 (Japanese import).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back