SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 25, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #3,916 of 8,639
yeah it seems like some magic has been put back in the sound. it was still great after the last update, but some meat in the mids was lost and there was a tiny bit more treble. hearing the same finesse and authority in the mids and bass that early software iterations had. i probably won’t update this player another time cause it’s perf again lol

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #3,918 of 8,639
I noticed a difference in the sound, i think, anyways it also seems to load faster when turning on.

I agree about the turn on speed.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #3,920 of 8,639
One things certain, more frequent updates than previous Sony Android DAP's. Wasn't their only 3 for the ZX2

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,922 of 8,639
Just done update and if I had to make a quick immediate choice with regard to sound quality I'd say something has changed slightly and I prefer the new firmware. Mids seem slightly improved.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #3,923 of 8,639
What I notice is that even Direct Source ON sounded different from the previous firmware.

Also there's lesser change in sound when you switch between Direct Source On and Direct Source Off with all DSP off.

DSEE HX effect has also reverted back to 1.2x like. 2.00.05 DSEE HX has a tendency to be overly bright for certain music resulting in vocal simbliance. This is no longer the case.

Also album art renders faster when you switch tracks.

Regardless of whether you can hear any sound changes in the new firmware, it is definitely a good sign that we are getting constant improvements to this Walkman. Let's hope they figure a way to allow bit perfect sound for any Android app.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,925 of 8,639
The reason why Sony developed this DC Phase Linearizer back ~20years ago is because Class D bass response is quite different from traditional Class A and Class A/B amps. Most music listeners are more used to a more slower bass beat of the traditional amps. If you listen carefully with DSP off, Class D sounds more speed orientated with less decay when it comes to bass notes.

DC Phase Linearizer makes it more easy to notice bass notes as there is added decay or slowness to the beat.

Type A tends to be more upfront/stronger, making bass notes sounding more foreground in the music. Bass notes sounds more "Thudddd" like it's presentation.

Type B makes bass notes fall behind the vocals, sounding more laid-back/background like. Bass notes sound more "Dunnn" like in it's presentation.

As for low, standard and high:

Low has an emphasis on sub bass

Standard has an emphasis on mid bass

High makes bass appear as one body of note.

Which mode to use, off or type A or B, low or standard or high:

It all depends on your listening preferences. You can use this DSP as another EQ to tune the bass response of your audio gear, you may find a setting that makes your headphones sound better to your ears.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #3,926 of 8,639
The reason why Sony developed this DC Phase Linearizer back ~20years ago is because Class D bass response is quite different from traditional Class A and Class A/B amps. Most music listeners are more used to a more slower bass beat of the traditional amps. If you listen carefully with DSP off, Class D sounds more speed orientated with less decay when it comes to bass notes.

DC Phase Linearizer makes it more easy to notice bass notes as there is added decay or slowness to the beat.

Type A tends to be more upfront/stronger, making bass notes sounding more foreground in the music. Bass notes sounds more "Thudddd" like it's presentation.

Type B makes bass notes fall behind the vocals, sounding more laid-back/background like. Bass notes sound more "Dunnn" like in it's presentation.

As for low, standard and high:

Low has an emphasis on sub bass

Standard has an emphasis on mid bass

High makes bass appear as one body of note.

Which mode to use, off or type A or B, low or standard or high:

It all depends on your listening preferences. You can use this DSP as another EQ to tune the bass response of your audio gear, you may find a setting that makes your headphones sound better to your ears.
Thank you so much, you must know your stuff as its sounds very complicated to me lol
I think A standard sounds the best, B the bass seems a lot stronger.
Much appreciated, cheers

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #3,927 of 8,639
Flip between them all see what sounds best to you.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #3,928 of 8,639
Just done update and if I had to make a quick immediate choice with regard to sound quality I'd say something has changed slightly and I prefer the new firmware. Mids seem slightly improved.
yep better mids to my ears and bass is slightly fuller i like it

Jun 26, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #3,930 of 8,639
In my opinion in this firmware, Sony has even better nailed the fine balancing act between clarity and sharpness. Previous firmware has the tendency to sound too lean and bright. This firmware has a more balanced sound across the three frequency bands: bass, mids, highs. ZX507 now is even more musical sounding than it has ever been.

if my memory of the 1.2x firmware is still correct, this new firmware has better treble details and soundstage over it. It's definitely much more holographic sounding for sure. Now it's much more easier to notice timbre and reverberations in the soundstage.

Also I am able to push volume to a higher threshold without feeling my ears getting pierced. At the same time even at lower volume levels, I am still getting really good clarity in the bass and mids.

I find that the zx507 now handles transient sound like cymbal clashes really superbly, it sound really dynamically strong but yet doesn't sound ear piercingly sharp. It is as if the zx507 amplifer instantaneous power delivery has improved by alot, there is much more slam in the bass notes as well(with type B std). Vocals now is even more isolated away from the other music instruments and with pin point focusing in the soundstaging.

This is likely the best sounding firmware I have heard since ZX507 inital 1.0 release. Worth upgrading for those still on lower versions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back