SONY NW-ZX500
Jun 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,751 of 8,639
Agree. For me:

ZX507 Walkman App Own Music A+
ZX507 Tidal App at 32/192 B+
Hiby R3Pro Hiby App Own Music A
Hiby R3Pro Hiby Tidal Live Streaming A

I personally find the R3Pro slightly bright so prefer warmer/smoother Sony Sig.
Any idea of how Hiby R6pro would sound in comparison? And are there different version of the Hiby like the 507 (EU cap or not)?

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #3,752 of 8,639
Another 24hrs with it and sound out of the Walkman app is perfect but not so much with streaming app.

I've been listening to Tidal then same track in walkman app and a there's significant improvement with the walkmam app.

Hope Sony get bitperfect implemented for streaming services.
yeah i noticed the Amazon HD App was not as good as the walkman app sound wise but i am still happy with it

Jun 11, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #3,753 of 8,639
Any idea of how Hiby R6pro would sound in comparison? And are there different version of the Hiby like the 507 (EU cap or not)?

I had the Hiby R5 and wasn't a fan of that. I've only ever had dreaded EU cap issue with Sony DAP's.

Not had the R6/R6Pro as getting too big and heavy for me.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #3,756 of 8,639
Another 24hrs with it and sound out of the Walkman app is perfect but not so much with streaming app.

I've been listening to Tidal then same track in walkman app and a there's significant improvement with the walkmam app.

Hope Sony get bitperfect implemented for streaming services.

Do you mean you want streamed content to sound as good as local content? Local will always sound better than streamed.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #3,758 of 8,639
Do you mean you want streamed content to sound as good as local content? Local will always sound better than streamed.

Why would you say that?

Same 24/192 MQA track in Tidal sounds identical to same track stored on SD card when using the Hiby R3Pro.

On the ZX507 it sounds veiled in the Tidal app but perfection in the Walkman App.

When track played in Walkman app your getting full MQA unfold then bitperfect out, while in Tidal its then scaled 16/44 or 32/192 before you hear it.

As for "Local will always sound better than streamed" you need to re-word that. A Tidal FLAC/MQA stream sounds better than a 320kbps MP3 stored on SD card.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #3,760 of 8,639
Out of curiosity — what level is the “media volume” set at in the sound settings? I know the Walkman app bypasses this setting and if the volume is not at the maximum level at the source it will effect the sound.

Will check but Tidal playback does have to be a couple steps higher than same track via Walkman app to be volume matched.

::UPDATE::

Just checked and its at Maximum.

I'm beginning to think this is similar to UAPP on normal Android phones.

The Walkman app must have its own audio driver like UAPP bypassing Android SRC and directly accessing the hardware, while other Apps are going through Android and all Sony have done is given alternative to get Android to output at 32/192 rather than 16/44 (or is it 16/48) hence need for Android reboot if you change option and why Walkman app itself not affected if you change option or by Android system "Media" volume.

This is why the Hiby sounds better for streaming services because it uses DTA Architecture to bypass Android SRC system wide and do bitperfect for all.

Without going into detail and purely for testing purposes it is possible to extract a Tidal MQA to a file and then you can compare the Streamed/Offline track played in Tidal compared to the "test" file playback in Walkman App. Walkman app playback is pristine/pure/clarity while Tidal playback has a slight veil/dullness.

So after 3rd day listening/comparing and Sony not "Burnt in" yet here is my breakdown, both used "Direct", no tweaking with my K10U and SE846:

Sound Quality
1st: Sony ZX507 with Walkman App
2nd: Hiby R3 Pro for own files & Tidal streaming
3rd: Sony ZX507 if not using Walkman App

Design/Build
1st: Sony ZX507
2nd: Hiby R3 Pro (but very close and still love design/materials etc.)

Cost/Value vs Performance
1st: Hiby R3 Pro
2nd: ZX507

Interface
Can't rate as really down to what your needs are.

As a pure music player the only downside to the Hiby is not having offline for Streaming Services and only two streaming services available.

Sony is more complex but that gives far more usage possibilities plus all streaming services with offline.

Battery Life
For its size the battery life with Hiby is as expected and decent and better than Sony if live streaming Tidal

For offline/own tracks you will get longer with the Sony if using Walkman App and for a small Android device not too bad really but could have been perfect with a longer lasting battery as 5-6hrs streaming Tidal is poor.

Buyer Remorse
  • Absolutely none with the Hiby, its a bloody bargain for £165 (£199)
  • Only slight with the Sony due to the loss of definition in the sound quality with Apps other than Walkman Player.

Final comment: Amazed how well the lower segment R3 Pro's sound quality holds up against a premium mid range Sony (or any mid-range for that matter).

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #3,761 of 8,639
So, who's using their ZX507 Naked or cased?

If cased what are recommendations and any recommendations of screen protectors?

Jun 12, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #3,762 of 8,639
I think having a case will help to protect the ZX507 against drops and other accidental bangs.

As it is a mid range dap, I feel any case will do.

You can spend money on expensive genuine leather case but that’s absolutely optional.

Tempered glass Screen protector is recommended.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,764 of 8,639
Without going into detail and purely for testing purposes it is possible to extract a Tidal MQA to a file and then you can compare the Streamed/Offline track played in Tidal compared to the "test" file playback in Walkman App. Walkman app playback is pristine/pure/clarity while Tidal playback has a slight veil/dullness.

So basically, I am better off downloading MQA and playing them back via the Walkman app than paying for a MQA streaming subscription (if audio quality is my top priority).

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #3,765 of 8,639
You will always get this. The slight increase from £200-600.
Same as what will happen if you had the WM1Z in front of you £600-2500.
Welcome to the expensive hobby!

Been here since Jul 15, 2008 so no need for a Welcome :relaxed: Done the Hugo2's & HD800's path etc.

Had a WM1A for a while and not hearing the ZX507 Walkman app doing anything worse.

After a certain price point is more down to Brand/Design/Features/Exclusivity/Kudos with DAP's IMO. Bit like watches, they all tell the time but people still pay into the thousands for them.

The Sony is full Android, made of chunky machined aluminium & copper, unrivalled build quality and a unique DAC/AMP chip only for Sony, its bound to cost more. Taking sound quality/brand out of it I'd say based on what's in hand if R3Pro is priced at $199 the Sony would be at $399 (if based on mass production).

Look, I just spent £600 on one knowing its limitations and still love it, but not going to gloss over its issues just because I spent £600 on it or because its Sony.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back