SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 19, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #1,336 of 8,639
you select language first from setup. mine is selected to English as well
great!
thank you.
but is it possible to change it later? can u check it please? (maybe this question sounds stupid, but...)

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #1,339 of 8,639
220 or so now. No time to make comparison with other players yet sadly.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #1,342 of 8,639
Whats burn in? It's a complicated topic and a can of worms but if you are interested:
https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/burnin_topic138.html#1027

In layman terms: think of it as a new tight fiting leather high heel boots that you struggle to wear but after one week of use, your feet just slides in easily.

In this case, electricity(electrons) has a harder time flowing through the new capacitor(some kind of pathway resistance/tightness) but after burn in, it just flows in a more orderly manner? (My guess)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #1,344 of 8,639
before you guys invest at least 200hrs of your time burning in your new toy, do you actually spend some considerable time before that to familiarise yourself with the original sound signature fresh out of the box? otherwise how will you remember how exactly the sound has changed 200hrs later?

also, can you actually remember what has changed after 200hrs? personally my aural memory is poor and that is why I just listen as I burn in for the 200hrs.

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #1,345 of 8,639
Having a selection of good reference recording does help
For example:
http://www.chesky.com/album/ultimate-demonstration-disc-ud95

Easier to hear and identify what's right or wrong with the equipment.

For example I use spanish harlem by rebecca pidgeon as a litmus test for sibilance. If equipment is good enough, when she sings words like Rose and Spanish, the S won't be ear piercing sharp. Most ESS sabre based dacs tends to fail this test.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,347 of 8,639
Does Sony publish the output impedance for their walkmans anywhere? Or has anyone measured it on ZX507?
there is a post in internet about zx300 testing. balanced output voltage on high gain was measured at 1.85V. both zx300 and zx500 have same power output 200+200 (balanced)

Dec 20, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #1,348 of 8,639
There's also your "brain eq" at work. That and unless you're some kind of savant, your memory of how the initial impression will be fuzzy too. So believing in burn in is more self gratification imo.

But personally, I have some believe in sound changes but it's only first right out of the box and an hour or two after playing music. 100hrs of burn in? Might as well just listen to it that whole time. You'll get used to the sound in the end regardless.

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,349 of 8,639
There's also your "brain eq" at work. That and unless you're some kind of savant, your memory of how the initial impression will be fuzzy too. So believing in burn in is more self gratification imo.

But personally, I have some believe in sound changes but it's only first right out of the box and an hour or two after playing music. 100hrs of burn in? Might as well just listen to it that whole time. You'll get used to the sound in the end regardless.

If you have another DAP to serve as a reference point, and the DAP in question shown improvements relative to that particular DAP or setup after the 200 hour mark....would u still question the validity of the burn in process?

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,350 of 8,639
If you have another DAP to serve as a reference point, and the DAP in question shown improvements relative to that particular DAP or setup after the 200 hour mark....would u still question the validity of the burn in process?

Only if the test is done on a much bigger sample size then sure. And even then, I have doubts that the changes found will be the make or break reason to get a DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back