SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 2, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #841 of 8,639
I don't think USB Audio Player Pro has Amazon Music HD Integration at this point in time.

For those with Sony WH-1000XM3 and Sony ZX500/A100:

Instead of using LDAC Sound Quality connection mode, you can also experiment with AAC + DSEE HX as connection mode. See for yourself if you prefer the sound of Sony's DSEE HX upsampling inside your headphones.

1) Ensure you have Sony Headphone Connect App installed, launch App and set:
Sound Quality Mode > Priority on Sound Quality

2) Go to ZX500/A100 Settings > Connected Devices > Conenction Preferences > Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > AAC
Once you have set to AAC, disconnect and reconnect the Bluetooth headphones

3) Go back to Sony Headphone Connect app, under DSEE HX > Auto (Note: You cannot have Equalizer or Surround VPT enabled along with DSEE HX)

4) Scroll up to top of the Sony Headphone Connect(near the battery %), there should be indicated as: AAC DSEE HX

That's it.

To revert back to LDAC mode:

Go to ZX500/A100 Settings > Connected Devices > Conenction Preferences > Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > LDAC-Sound Quality Pref.
Once you have set to LDAC, disconnect and reconnect the Bluetooth headphones

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #843 of 8,639
Sony only mentions the output power at 16 ohms. Any information about the output power at the other impedance levels such as 32, 100, 300 ?

It will be proportional so 32ohm will output half the power of 16ohm... which is why it will have great trouble with the like of HD800 at 300ohm...

At 32ohms, you’ll only get 100mW of output power already which can still work in terms of how loud you drive the headphones / IEMs but it will quickly be a problem with higher impedance headphones.

On the flipside, with very low impedance IEMs (quite a few are under 8ohm), you’ll need more current to drive them well but I guess on this side Sony is good. I don’t know the 4.4 and 3.5 output impedance by the way, if it’s not under 1ohm it will colour lower impedance IEMs making them warmer (because OI must be 1/8th of the IEM impedance).

Question: My headphone has 16 ohms of impedance 95 dB/mW sensitivity. For 110 dB of loudness (highest volume someone will ever need) 31,6 mW of power is required. So does it matter if the amplfifier has a maximum output power of 200 mW, 500 mW or 3000 mW ? At most 31,6 mW of power will be supplied, does the extra avaible power bring any advantage ?

Yes, headroom.

Dec 2, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #844 of 8,639
It will be proportional so 32ohm will output half the power of 16ohm...

It isn't.

I answered this misconception before in the other Walkman thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-64#post-15316204
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-66#post-15317848

tl;dr - the relationship between output power and impedance can be linear as well as non-linear ie there's no law to it, therefore you can't assume but have to measure it to know the values.

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #845 of 8,639
It isn't.
I answered this misconception before in the other Walkman thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-64#post-15316204
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-66#post-15317848
tl;dr - the relationship between output power and impedance can be linear as well as non-linear ie there's no law to it, therefore you can't assume but have to measure it to know the values.

You can't really say it's a misconception, it's a mathematical formula that is widely accepted (https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/power-calculator.html#dc)
You're talking about iFi Audio turbo mode, and you think the class D amp is working like this iFi Audio mode but nobody knows for sure.

Normal and eco mode seems to have a linear correlation, but since the turbo mode doesn't exhibit a linear relationship thus you can't use that to infer a general law regarding power/impedance calculations. Rather this shows that you need more measurements to understand the actual behaviour of the device itself - because who knows, maybe the Walkman's Class D amp is more like turbo mode where efficiency gets better as load increases, but you can never know unless you measure it or when the manufacturer gives out more numbers.

It might be so, Sony is smart for sure. Even if it's not linear I am pretty sure you'll have trouble driving high impedance headphones properly. It's going to have different values a little better but the general order of magnitude is not too far off... And you don't start with 4W like the iFi Audio so the impact will be much greater on lower power output even if it's not linear.

Dec 2, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #846 of 8,639
Decided to purchase IER-M9 to pair up with the ZX507 since it already comes with 4.4mm balanced cable. And I still have to burn in another 200hours on the balanced out.

Hopefully the pairing will be jaw droppingly good like the guy in this video:

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #847 of 8,639
ZX500/A100 Optimization and Tweak Guide.

Sony has a 125page help guide for using your ZX507, do read up to best make use of your ZX507/A105:
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwzx500/v1/en/print.pdf
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwa100/v1/en/print.pdf

All these tweaks can be reversible back to original settings without any issues.

to enter recovery mode(in case of any issues from the tweaks and you need to do factory reset):

Power off the device
  • Power off the device
  • Press and hold Power and Vol- until the sony logo comes up
  • Release buttons. After a while an open Android and "No Command" should appear
  • Press and hold Power, press Vol+, Release Vol+, Release power
You now have the recovery menu where you can select items with vol+/- and enter with Power button

Please restart your device after disabling the apps/services to take effect:
To restart: with screen turn on, hold the power button for a few sec, then tap on restart

Updates to my tweak guide for June 2020, @krumplib430 Contributions
Settings -> System -> Languages and Input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Gboard -> Advanced
-disable "usage statistics" and "Improve voice and typing for everyone"

Settings -> in the search type "assistant" -> Assistant Settings -> Assistant tab -> scroll down, under assistant devices select "phone" -> disable "google assistant"

Updates to my tweak guide for June 2020, additional DSP:
you can access to the old Sony ZX2 walkman DSP settings on your ZX507/A105:

Clear bass
Surround (VPT): Studio, Club, Concert Hall
Crossfade Playback

Go to Google app store, download Sony Music Centre.

Launch App, tap on This Mobile , Sound&Playback , Uncheck Direct Source tick box.

From there you can find clearbass adjustment in EQ. VPT and Crossfade.

To reset from these DSP, just check back Direct Source in this app

Do note these DSP settings seems to only work when you play music using Sony Music Centre App only.

Updates to my tweak guide for May 2020:
This advanced tweak is mostly recommended for those who mainly uses the ZX507/A105's Sony stock Walkman Music app to play offline files on SDCARD.

This should provide better battery performance by further limiting/reducing google's constant background data collection/scanning on your walkman.

Do note that If you are using streaming app, you will NOT be able to update the app in google play store until you reverse this tweak or using alternative app updating store e.g. APKPure etc.

1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all apps >

Google Play Store > Disable

Google Play services > Permissions > turn off everything listed

Google Play services > Advanced > Modify system settings > Not Allowed

Google Play services > Storage > Clear Storage > Clear ALL DATA

2) Settings > Accounts > youraccount@gmail.com > Remove Account

Disabling of Android Battery Optimization:
This tweak can improve stability of streaming apps. It will prevent Android from stopping or slowing down processing time of the streaming app or music player app.
You can also disable battery optimization for all apps in your walkman if you want a more responsive feel
This tweak might cause your battery life to decrease or cause extra heat. It really depends on the app's cpu usage & network usage on the system.
more info:
https://www.theandroidsoul.com/doze-mode-android/

To disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Battery Optimization >
Select App and Tap on Don't Optimize
choice of:
A) only don't optimize the streaming apps & music player that you use
B) don't optimize for all apps

Tips to improve battery time:
1) Settings > Security & Location > Find My Device > OFF
2) Settings > Security & Location > Privacy > Location > OFF
3) Settings > Accounts > Automatically Sync Data > OFF
4) Settings > Security & Location > Location > Advanced > Scanning > Switch OFF Both WIFI and Bluetooth Scanning
5) Settings > Google > Tap on Top Right of Screen at Vertical Three Dots, Usage & Diagnostics > OFF
6) Settings > Google > On-Device Sharing > Turn OFF all listed
7) Settings > Apps & Notifications > Advanced > Special App Access > Usage Access:
Switch off for Digital Well Being, Google, Google Play Services, Google Play Store
8)Turn off NFC: Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > NFC > OFF

Tips to Improve DAP responsiveness:
1) Settings > Accessibility > Remove Animations > ON
2) Download Google Files from Play Store
Clean Junk Files once in a while(weekly or daily)
3) Use GPU Acceleration: Settings > System > Advanced > *Developer Options > Force GPU Rendering > ON
* = To enable Developer mode: Settings > System > About Device > Build Number (tap 10 times on it)
4) Limit Background Process: Settings > System Advanced > "Developer Options > Background Process Limit: No Background Processes or At Most 2 Processes
This setting depends on what you are using your DAP for. If it's dedicated to just playing offline music, then no background process. If you are using USB Audio Player Pro along with Tidal, then increase the limit accordingly to the number of apps running.
More info here:
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...des-or-risks-to-limiting-background-processes

Apps that can be disabled safely without affecting playback functionality or performance:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps:
Calculator
Calendar
Chrome
Contacts
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Google
Google Japanese Input
Google Pinyin Input
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Google Text to Speech Engine
Maps
mora
Photos

Redundant System Apps to disable:
1) Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps
Touch the three vertical dots on top right of screen then tap on [Show System]
Disable these:
Blocked Numbers Storage
Calendar Storage
Contacts Storage
com.android.soundrecorder
Default Print Service
Google One Time Init
Google Partner Setup
Google Backup Transport
Market Feedback Agent
Print Service Recommendation Service
User Dictionary

Hidden deep inside ZX507 settings, you can adjust bluetooth connection quality:
Settings > Connected Devices > Connection Preferences > Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality >

LDAC Sound Quality Pref.
LDAC Connection Pref. (This is default)
Aptx HD
AptX
AAC
SBC Sound Quality Pref.
SBC Connection Pref.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #848 of 8,639
Just a thought on the UK capped ZX507, when I bought a WM1A from Amazon UK it was capped. I unlocked it via a simple routine (cannot remember the name). Afterwards I remember it unlocked the high gain setting and removed the warning about hearing damage. Having bought a Japanese version of the ZX507, I have found it also has the high gain for both SE & Balanced. Do the UK ones we are talking about have a high gain option?

Are you able to elaborate or quantify any sound differences between the 1A and the ZX507.

Dec 2, 2019 at 7:40 AM Post #849 of 8,639
If I turn my unit off, the unit doesn't read my card right when I turn it on. I have to remove and reinstall the card. Anyone else experience this. Plus it keeps asking to format the card.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #852 of 8,639
Can someone comment on playlist functionality compared to the previous non-Android versions? I've searched so many youtube videos and can't find any examples of somebody working with playlists.
  • Can I create new playlists on the device itself?
  • Can I add entire albums at a time to playlists, and not just individual tracks?
  • Are the playlists visible outside of Sony's music app?
Hiya mate,

I own the ZX300 and found that the most convenient way for me to make and edit playlists was through Potplayer, while the device was connected to a pc.

Hope it works for this device as well.

1. Connect the device to the PC and turn on USB function

2. Open Potplayer

3. Open Playlist Window in Potplayer

4. Add the song files
(browse to the device's local storage (or external storage as desired)

Note: You can either select local or external storage. Can't mix

5. Save Playlist

(Potplayer Dropdown menu [top left corner] or Right click on player)

>Select Playback
>Playlist
>Playlist
>Save playlist as
>Browse to the device's local storage (or external storage, if you added the files from it)
>MUSIC
>Type a file name of your choice
>Save as type: Winamp playlist -m3u (*.m3u; *.m3u8)
>Save

Et Voila! Turn off USB function on the player. Let the player create the database, browse to Playlists on the Home screen and you should find the playlist that you made.

Enjoy!

P.S - Since the playlist that works on the device is saved as a Winamp file, I guess it could also be done on a Winamp player. I haven't tried it though.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #853 of 8,639
If I turn my unit off, the unit doesn't read my card right when I turn it on. I have to remove and reinstall the card. Anyone else experience this. Plus it keeps asking to format the card.
What size and make of card are you using? I have no trouble with a 1Tb SanDisk Extreme, even though I was warned that it was not supported. The only problem is having a card that size it does slow things down.

Did you format the card in the Walkman first?

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #854 of 8,639
What size and make of card are you using? I have no trouble with a 1Tb SanDisk Extreme, even though I was warned that it was not supported. The only problem is having a card that size it does slow things down.

Did you format the card in the Walkman first?

256 Samsung EVO, no I didn't format it in the dap because it already had my music on it. Not a big deal, but it loses about 10% or so overnight so I've been turning it off at night.

I don't think it did this before the update. I might try to fix errors on it on my laptop.

Oh and I have the baby A105, I don't know how I ended up here lol.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #855 of 8,639
It seems that Google App is a resource hog. I have added it to the list of apps to disable in my tweak guide. Once you disable Google, restart your device(hold power button, then tap restart) and enjoy the more responsive feel. . It's really a noticeable big improvement in my opinion

My updated tweak guide, items in bold are new entries
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/page-57#post-15339376

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back