SONY NW-ZX500
Nov 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #587 of 8,639
I am debating whether to get a 4.4 balanced Kimber cable from Sony.
Ah, I'm waiting on the non-Kimber Sony 4.4 cable to compare to the Azla. I don't imagine it will be that much better/different than what I'm using. The Kimber's speaker cable look isn't as discreet as I like when I'm wandering the subway, but I'm sure it'll sound great.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #589 of 8,639
A SQ purist view/listen (I care mostly about clarity, detail, instrument separation and natural sound, not so much about sound stage):
ZX500 sounds very similar to WM1A with the latest firmware 3.02. Similar level of instrument separation, WM1A still has better detail in both male and female vocals. Bass is not the most detailed on both. However NW-WM1A with fw 3.01 trumps them. The instrument separation is better and the level of detail is better across the board. Vocals sound very detailed and natural. Bass has a good balance between a good slam and detail.

Interesting how Sony sound signature changes with firmware upgrades. If only Sony releases ZX500 firmware that makes it sound like WM1A v3.01. :)

As of now ZX500 <= WM1A v3.02 < WM1A v3.01

WM1A might still be a good buy at the end of 2019, if you really only care about SQ and battery life, and online capabilities are unimportant.

Thanks for the detailed response. Man this is a tough one.
So you're basically choosing
SQ + Battery Life (WM1A)
or
SQ + Streaming (ZX500)

This is a tough one. But SQ for me would be priority over everything else only because you're paying so much to obtain the one thing that no phone can offer is supreme fidelity for music.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #590 of 8,639
I dont know but I find ares II from effect audio does sound better vs stock. And its all copper bespoke like kimber cable.

More spaciousness, clarity and overall presentation is improved.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #591 of 8,639
Thanks for the detailed response. Man this is a tough one.
So you're basically choosing
SQ + Battery Life (WM1A)
or
SQ + Streaming (ZX500)

This is a tough one. But SQ for me would be priority over everything else only because you're paying so much to obtain the one thing that no phone can offer is supreme fidelity for music.

I doubt that he is done with the required burn in period. Why not wait a few weeks before drawing that comparison?

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #592 of 8,639
Probably a stupid question to ask, but does the ZX500 include an option to include an option to display the battery percentage?

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #596 of 8,639
Love the D335 man. I am not even sure if the ZX500 can do digital out via USB C port. It should but u can never tell what Sony is doing.

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #597 of 8,639
So sq wise how does this compare to the zx300 and wm1a?

Nov 15, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #598 of 8,639
How think is the zx507? Is it as same as zx300? Cant seem to find dimensions anywhere.

I have wm1a and one thing that bothers me is its thickness. This is my on the go player. And i would really consider downgrading to zx507 provided its not a huge step down.
Biggest problem with this is that horrendous sound signature of 3.02. That mettalic lifeless mid and muffled high FR makes it sound worse then my lg v30 and even worse so when using my eros II balanced cable... While downgrading to 1.02 made it sound fantastic again, i could not do that zx507..

Is there any difference in tuning on zx507 making it sound different with 3.02 fw?

Edit: dont know how i missed dimension info on Sony website lol. Lookung good. Now need to wait for new firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #600 of 8,639
Hi guys!

I'm currently looking for a stable DAP below $1000. I mostly use Amazon Music HD, and some offline FLACs.
I am leaning towards ZX507, but wondering if the battery life is good or subpar especially while streaming.
I will greatly appreciate if you could share experiences regarding this.
(I currently have multi-BA iems which are relatively sensitive.)

I am also considering the following. Will try to audition them:
Ibasso DX160 - I read a lot of noise and connectivity(BT) issues in the discussion forum
Hiby R5 - feels good in the hand, usability seems okayish than DX160? since I haven't read issues regarding wireless connection
R6 Pro - recommended by many reviewers, but I've seen reports of EMI issues when near phones or routers
Shanling M6 - still waiting for release :zzz:

Thank you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back