SONY NW-ZX500
Dec 1, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #812 of 8,639
Can someone comment on playlist functionality compared to the previous non-Android versions? I've searched so many youtube videos and can't find any examples of somebody working with playlists.
  • Can I create new playlists on the device itself?
  • Can I add entire albums at a time to playlists, and not just individual tracks?
  • Are the playlists visible outside of Sony's music app?

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #814 of 8,639
Can someone comment on playlist functionality compared to the previous non-Android versions? I've searched so many youtube videos and can't find any examples of somebody working with playlists.
  • Can I create new playlists on the device itself?
  • Can I add entire albums at a time to playlists, and not just individual tracks?
  • Are the playlists visible outside of Sony's music app?
The Sony app can read playlists, but doesn't make them? It does allow you to make bookmark lists and add your play queue to a bookmark list. I'm not really a fan of the Sony app's UI, so I don't use it.
So I can't set my own volume limit? I can only enable/disable some volume limit that Sony has decided?
As far as I can tell, you can't set your own limit. There is just a toggle for AVLS, no other setting for it. I guess AVLS combined with the "Dynamic Normalizer" would keep things from accidentally blowing your eardrums?

Dec 1, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #815 of 8,639
Hi guys!

I'm currently looking for a stable DAP below $1000. I mostly use Amazon Music HD, and some offline FLACs.
I am leaning towards ZX507, but wondering if the battery life is good or subpar especially while streaming.
I will greatly appreciate if you could share experiences regarding this.
(I currently have multi-BA iems which are relatively sensitive.)

I am also considering the following. Will try to audition them:
Ibasso DX160 - I read a lot of noise and connectivity(BT) issues in the discussion forum
Hiby R5 - feels good in the hand, usability seems okayish than DX160? since I haven't read issues regarding wireless connection
R6 Pro - recommended by many reviewers, but I've seen reports of EMI issues when near phones or routers
Shanling M6 - still waiting for release :zzz:

Thank you!

I'm on the exact same boat (DAP below $1k) ZX500's battery life is longer than all of the above so I'm leaning towards the ZX500 too.
I used to own the superior iBasso model DX220 and returned it. The device was extremely laggy. Never buy anything from iBasso !

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #816 of 8,639
I'm on the exact same boat (DAP below $1k) ZX500's battery life is longer than all of the above so I'm leaning towards the ZX500 too.I used to own the superior iBasso model DX220 and returned it. The device was extremely laggy. Never buy anything from iBasso !

Sony is known for great battery life but also lack of driving power, iBasso DAP have high output power and can drive full sized cans so yes they drain more battery. I owned the DX220 as well, it doesn’t drain more battery than the N6ii with the dual DAC chip and similar driving power.

Extremely laggy is overstated... it doesn’t have a chip as fast as smartphones and runs android so... just like any other android DAP. Yes R6 Pro (I owned it also) is faster with the SnapDragon 425 but not night and day. N6ii is not really that much faster than DX220 either.

I don’t know what chip Sony used for the ZX507, but they only have 3.6 inches and lower resolution so display will take less to be fast.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #817 of 8,639
Sony is known for great battery life but also lack of driving power, iBasso DAP have high output power and can drive full sized cans so yes they drain more battery. I owned the DX220 as well, it doesn’t drain more battery than the N6ii with the dual DAC chip and similar driving power.

Extremely laggy is overstated... it doesn’t have a chip as fast as smartphones and runs android so... just like any other android DAP. Yes R6 Pro (I owned it also) is faster with the SnapDragon 425 but not night and day. N6ii is not really that much faster than DX220 either.

I don’t know what chip Sony used for the ZX507, but they only have 3.6 inches and lower resolution so display will take less to be fast.

I made the math. ZX507's balanced power output is 200 mW. To achieve 90 dB volume, the connected headphone must have a sensitivty of 67 dB/mW and above. For 100 dB it must be 77 dB/mW mW of above. Since all headphones have a sensitivity of 77 dB/mW and above ZX507 should be able drive (almost) every full sized headphone. Correct ?

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #818 of 8,639
I am doing an extensive research and Fiio M11 Pro appears as the better option. Change my mind.
Costs $649 at US which will probably be $200 cheaper than the ZX507
Bigger screen with higher resolution
More inputs/ outputs
Much more output power ( Sony 50-200 mW vs Fiio 294- 460 mW - unbalanced-balanced respectively @16 ohms)
Faster UI according to users
More features and tools
Active and helpful customer service team vs Sony's very big but dead team.
Even as a huge Sony fanboy I cannot disagree with this.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #819 of 8,639
Seems like there's no search function inside the zx507 walkman music app. Anyone found it?

zx2 music app has a magnifying glass icon that allow to search by text.
Xperia 1 music app has the icon as well..

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #820 of 8,639
Even as a huge Sony fanboy I cannot disagree with this.

Now I'm leaning towards the ZX507 . On the flip side, ZX507's advantages over M11 PRO :

- Significantly longer battery life (around 16 hour vs around 8 hour )
- Smaller screen (both an disadvantage and advantage) . And I've learned that they have the same same resolution although Fiio's screen is larger
- Smaller in all three dimensions and 30% lighter (164 vs 232 g)
- 4 GB vs 3GB ram
- Supports a lot of property technologies such as DSEE HX.
- Supports Google Play Store and Google Play services
- Runs Android 9 vs Android 7
- Both have LDAC but Sony's implemention and quality is probably better because LDAC is theirs.
- As I've read, Sony products are much more stable and problem-free than chi-fi products. Chi-fi products have quality control issuedsand often have problems with Android, battery and interference. Chi-fi companies are getting rapidly better but appearently they are still behind the Japan engineering.
- Global network and support of Sony. Sony operates in many countries but Fiio products must be sent to their China warehouse if the device requires repair.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #822 of 8,639
Fellas, ZX500 has the same audio circuitry as ZX300, it just adds features (wifi, streaming, android apps etc). And considering ZX300 can be found for $500 new, makes the ZX500 value questionable at the moment.

M11 Pro is a good value option for high versatility. I'm not a fan of ibasso.

Generally am over chi-fi though, I'd look for a used AK or stretch to the WM1A.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #825 of 8,639
About a decade ago, many of their audiophile headphones were complete garbage or close to:
MDR-Z7 (sibliant monster)
MDR-Z1000 (where did the mids go?)
XBA-4 (Sony first gen balanced armature were wonky and sibliant)

Right now if you pair their walkman to any of their current flagship or S tier IEM or headphones(even Bluetooth), you will be able to appreciate the ear fatigue free Sony Sound Signature. It's like an Eco system.

Sony has come a long way interms of sound quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back