SONY NW-ZX500
Sep 7, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #7,651 of 8,639
so, i've been using mrwalkman's midnight mod, after listening a little, this is what i thought of it
you might be right in that the stock 1a is more analytical, but with the mod warmness is about even for both
just wanted to say thanks and kudos on the comparisons for dumimes. It's a style of review I would try to do myself, since a lot of the traditional review format has some jargon that can make info inaccessible or difficult to parse for newbies or people not inclined to do tons of research.

I have some of the same gear as you and in your comparisons I agree very closely, so I can vouch or at least trust your reviews. I think after reading the short comparison to the WM1A I'll think about picking one up alongside my ZX500 and A55 just to have that sony sound and UI in every form factor and sony OS/android to cover my use cases. Keep up the great work

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #7,652 of 8,639
just wanted to say thanks and kudos on the comparisons for dumimes. It's a style of review I would try to do myself, since a lot of the traditional review format has some jargon that can make info inaccessible or difficult to parse for newbies or people not inclined to do tons of research.

I have some of the same gear as you and in your comparisons I agree very closely, so I can vouch or at least trust your reviews. I think after reading the short comparison to the WM1A I'll think about picking one up alongside my ZX500 and A55 just to have that sony sound and UI in every form factor and sony OS/android to cover my use cases. Keep up the great work
thanks for the vote of confidence, and glad you found it helpful!
yes, that sony sound is a little special :D enjoy your 1a when you get it ^^

Sep 9, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #7,654 of 8,639
Hello guys !
Im happy with ZX507, its powerful for my Electronic music, but the only thing is the battery power. So Im thinking of WM1A by its excellent battery. But how different is the sound between ZX507 and WM1A ? Can 1 A play well with electronic music ? thank you
1A is more neutral. less bass and drive.

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #7,655 of 8,639
After long hesitating over the price of admission, I bought a 64 Audio U12t with Effect Cleopatra cable, and paired with the 507 I really can't think a portable rig could be any better - have to force myself to take these things out of my ears and re-enter the grey world of day... The sound is endlessly seductive.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #7,656 of 8,639
Hello guys !
Im happy with ZX507, its powerful for my Electronic music, but the only thing is the battery power. So Im thinking of WM1A by its excellent battery. But how different is the sound between ZX507 and WM1A ? Can 1 A play well with electronic music ? thank you

ZX507 definitely warmer/low end emphasis. 1A brighter, more detail and soundstage - use custom firmware to tweak more to your taste.

I own and love both... plus with electronic music.

Sep 11, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #7,659 of 8,639
Hey! Can I ask you, finally after all the pro and cons of sound differences, what is the firmware You picked for 507?
Q

You can't install older firmware versions like on the non-Android players.

Sep 11, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #7,660 of 8,639
I’m a bit lazy so I’ll ask you guys. My 507 has just about everything turned off and or removed including wifi, bluetooth… and I use exclusively the Sony music app with flac locally stored.

So anyone did some comparo between tracks streamed hires from Apple Music versus the same track hires flac stored locally using the built in Sony music app?

I noticed some time ato that with my desktop amp/dac kit plugged in my Macbook, if I compare the sound between a track played via Apple Music app versus Audirvana app there is quite a difference, Audirvana offers a definite upgrade in sound quality overall.

Also when you use Apple music on the 507, are you able to store the music on an sd card you it is only compatible for online streaming?

Many thanks

Sep 11, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #7,661 of 8,639
Also when you use Apple music on the 507, are you able to store the music on an sd card you it is only compatible for online streaming?

Many thanks

Yes you can download and store music to the SD Card. You pick the location in the settings. Of course, you have to use the Apple Music app to play back offline.

Sep 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #7,663 of 8,639
But you can hold off with an update

Yeah, though you probably can't buy too many devices that are using an older firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back