SONY NW-ZX500
May 5, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #7,246 of 8,639
Today I set up the headphone app profile to pairing my non-Sony iem FH7, and I feel there is no significantly different between each profile. When I clean all profile and compare to original sound, I feel the sound became slightly flat. But only when I listen carefully so I can tell the difference. I was wondering is it normal or I set the profile wrong. Because it's hard to distinguish difference. Do I need to install 360 Reality Audio app? I only use native Sony Walkman Music Player.

AFAIK, 360 Reality Audio on headphones is only supposed to work with Tidal, nuts.net, deezer and Artist Connection. I am a bit confused as to why differences are noted in the Sony Music Player. Are there 360RA local tracks available somewhere?

May 5, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #7,247 of 8,639
it is odd they have a profile for the 20 year old CD900ST but not the 11 year old EX1000. none of the profiles actually fit the EX1000
Likely it’s because the CD900ST is still being sold by Sony when they developed the 360RA the EX1000 is discontinued and they don’t have a test unit to do the 3D audio mapping.

Anyway I think the MDR-Z5 looks quite similar in shape to the EX1000, maybe that’s the most suitable profile for it.

May 5, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #7,248 of 8,639
Today I set up the headphone app profile to pairing my non-Sony iem FH7, and I feel there is no significantly different between each profile. When I clean all profile and compare to original sound, I feel the sound became slightly flat. But only when I listen carefully so I can tell the difference. I was wondering is it normal or I set the profile wrong. Because it's hard to distinguish difference. Do I need to install 360 Reality Audio app? I only use native Sony Walkman Music Player.
I tried to compare how my IER-M9 sounds with different iem profiles.
From what I am hearing, it’s a subtle change in how the vocals are positioned and the soundstage’s width and height. Using the correct profile results in more accurate imaging.

I also have the Xperia 1 phone which also has the headphone app that is able to pair to WF-1000XM3 with Ear mapping data as well. The Sony music app on the Xperia 1 does not have the same level of soundstage details as what I will hear out of the ZX507 with the WF-1000XM3 using the Walkman music app.

You can also experiment with Neutron Player and Usb Audio Player Pro app on the ZX507 and both supports Bit perfect playback as of this current firmware. What I find is that the Sony Walkman Music app has its own sound signature that is different from the UAPP and Neutron Player. To my ears, the Sony Walkman Music app has its own unique 3D soundstage processing. Using the headphone app profile with UAPP and Neutron does also provides more accurate imaging but the Sony Walkman Music App is the one which provides the most 3D sound when you use headphone app profiles.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #7,249 of 8,639
This can only mean FH7 isn't as resolving as some other IEMs. On the right gear, you can pick up the differences right away.

May 6, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #7,250 of 8,639
Likely it’s because the CD900ST is still being sold by Sony when they developed the 360RA the EX1000 is discontinued and they don’t have a test unit to do the 3D audio mapping.

Anyway I think the MDR-Z5 looks quite similar in shape to the EX1000, maybe that’s the most suitable profile for it.

the headphone profile is for shape of earphone to ear or sound profile?

May 6, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #7,251 of 8,639
the headphone profile is for shape of earphone to ear or sound profile?

The shape and size of our ear lobes determines how our brain forms positional sound cues.

The earphone's driver mounting position and angle to your ear also changes how sound arrives at your ear. There's also reflections and delays caused by the driver internal housing.

You need both of these data to allow for the spatial sound engine to create a more accurate positional sound field for your ears.

May 6, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #7,252 of 8,639
The shape and size of our ear lobes determines how our brain forms positional sound cues.

The earphone's driver mounting position and angle to your ear also changes how sound arrives at your ear. There's also reflections and delays caused by the driver internal housing.

You need both of these data to allow for the spatial sound engine to create a more accurate positional sound field for your ears.
can't say the Z5 profile made any difference to the EX1000... i guess there are some limitations

May 6, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #7,253 of 8,639
Android is so pathetic, already have it in my phone, and it is alright, but i buy a DAP to not use a phone OS for listening to music. I would like an iPod PRO, as bad as apple is, should be better than this.

May 10, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #7,255 of 8,639
The wifi is the biggest battery eater so make sure to disable it if you are not using it. A lot of Android unnecessary stuff can be turned off or disabled to help with the battery too. You can follow the guide @Sonywalkmanuser made. It's somewhere in this thread.

Found the link: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-sony-nw-zx500.914486/post-15339376
Hi! My friend, tell please, how long does the battery works if I turn off wi-fi and use a standard player to listen to hi-res over 4.4 and bluetooth (LDAC)?

May 10, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #7,256 of 8,639
Decide to revisit the IER-M9 on single-ended.

Even on single-ended, the 3D soundstage is still as ever present as it is on the balanced connection. I would say the difference I notice most would be the granularity and refinement of soft sounds and loud sounds.

Single ended tends to be more trigger happy in doing one noted bass transients while balanced has a more calibrated approach in its delivery of more deeper sounding bass transients.

To hear the most fine airy sound details in the recording, I feel that balanced on the IER-M9 is a must. The single-end is lacking the ultra precise imaging, I feel as if there is some kind of minor haziness in the background soundstage.

May 10, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #7,257 of 8,639
Hi, im using zx505 + newest international fw, can i go back to stock chinese fw?

Maybe. Depending on the firmware version, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. I haven't tried on the latest version. If you wait until the next firmware update, it should let you switch then. You can try now, it doesn't mess anything up to try, it just won't work. The theory is that you can always go to a later dated firmware build regardless of region but not an earlier version.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #7,259 of 8,639
One more observation point to note. Don't be afraid to try reploading your ear photo scans a few times to find a perfect match, try to ensure that the relative size of your left ear and right ear photos matches up correctly.

Doing the above correctly will ensure that the spatial sound imaging centering is well calculated for your ears.

Once you have done a well taken ear photo scan upload, you will find that the music even more pinpoint precise in it's spatial location imaging with supported Sony branded audio gear especially more so in balanced mode.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #7,260 of 8,639
One more observation point to note. Don't be afraid to try reploading your ear photo scans a few times to find a perfect match, try to ensure that the relative size of your left ear and right ear photos matches up correctly.

Doing the above correctly will ensure that the spatial sound imaging centering is well calculated for your ears.

Once you have done a well taken ear photo scan upload, you will find that the music even more pinpoint precise in it's spatial location imaging with supported Sony branded audio gear especially more so in balanced mode.

Well that’s a consumer friendly system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back