SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 16, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #1,621 of 8,639
I see you have zx-507 right? so tell me how do you like it? Did you ever had a wm1z or heard one? Also how you find zx-507 vs 1a?

I haven’t heard the WM1Z. Below is my comparison from a couple of days ago of the ZX507 and WM1A.

The WM1A would not have been a better option for me, since I’ve owned and sold it twice. Having had personal experience with it, I can say with confidence that the 1A has piercing treble, and sounds a bit thin in the mids. A player of that price should have excellent note weight and it doesn’t. The ZX507 is better in both of the aforementioned areas, as it does have smoother but still detailed treble that is not fatiguing, and it has nice thickness in the mids. It also has better bass quality than the 1A. The ZX507 goes deeper and from memory has better bass accuracy, in that it can produce all kinds of bass really well, with no bleed into the mids. The WM1A has the ZX507 beat on soundstage width, battery life, and power out of the balanced output. You also get more options for sound customization with the pure Sony UI. The ZX507 with just its Sony app and excellent sound quality can rival the WM1A. It takes it on well and can beat it in many areas.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,622 of 8,639
I would never take anybody’s opinion on whether the ZX507 sounds better than the WM1A unless I know how they consider other sources that I have experienced...

For me the ZX507 sounded more like the WM1Z in terms of the warmth and the ZX507 is different to the WM1A for the same reason...ie more neutral but again it can also change for some of us with various ciems or even cables (I don’t mean the science just the individual perception.. before anyone jumps on that comment.. :wink: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,623 of 8,639
Just got a email from Sony Europe (Portugal) with the confirmation of the EU volume cap. You can enable or disable the AVLS but that's it. No High-gain. No USB DAC function too.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,626 of 8,639
OH Boy! Guys stop it please ) who cares if wm1a is cuting @equalspeace ears, Jees I can give him a hand with a chainsaw!!! Problemo solved lmao both of you should be just happy with what you have, stop proving anything it aint gonna prove anything seriously... Yould end up with your own ideas and opinions anyways...
I was listening to:
1) sony wm1A ($1200) + sony mdr 1Am2 headpohnes (~$200-300);
2) AK se100 ($1700-1800 in UA) + 1am2
3) macbook + AK DAC ($ 1000 price tag in Ukraine, I presume international price is cheaper.) + audeze MX4 ($3000); (ak dac has 6.5, 3.5 and 2.5 outs and a big wheel to adjust volume with point light indicators) - maybe someone knows this model name.
4) macbook + the same AK DAC + mdr 1Am2.
Audeze headphones show me VERY HUGE sound stage. (audeze - open; sony closed) however sony still was good. but audeze was very realistic. playing "john barnes - siley puds" I did not realized the I am already listening to the music. it was so alive! and away! other tracks: fireworks voices and hand clapping ... amazing, however sony here did also very well.
however, there is no sound significant stage differences when u listened to normal music. led zeppeling, nirvana, prodigy.
**** from memory:
I can say that 1) option was the best for me while listening then music like nirvana and led zeppeling. magic sound.
I enjoyed wm1A sound the most.
3, 4 options were also good. especially that soundstage from audeze on john barnes - siley pud record.
although ledzeppelin and nirvana records were played better by wm 1A than AK dac.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #1,627 of 8,639
Basing on memory of the old firmware

New firmware seems to have:

Less mid bass bloat
Brighter treble, more extension, more airnness
More soundstage Width

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,628 of 8,639
I see you have zx-507 right? so tell me how do you like it? Did you ever had a wm1z or heard one? Also how you find zx-507 vs 1a?
I would really like to see this answer lol

sorry friend if you think he knows the diference between 1A and zx-507? i think you are far from my perception, hes very good at remarkable comments but he wont get you any piece of accurate information... wich proof my point... so dont feel bad if your question remains unsolved...

Jan 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #1,631 of 8,639
New firmware seem to make direct source sound more dynamic

The difference between DSEE HX on and Direct source is lesser when it comes to transients delivery.

I feel that the new firmware sounds clearer. Unless you really like the old firmware bass, I recommend upgrading.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #1,633 of 8,639
I would really like to see this answer lol

sorry friend if you think he knows the diference between 1A and zx-507? i think you are far from my perception, hes very good at remarkable comments but he wont get you any piece of accurate information... wich proof my point... so dont feel bad if your question remains unsolved...

meehhhh I dont think it will sound better then my wm1z so I have no worries at all, me jamming hard here atm with 1z I am back to balanced connection. Gosh its like I just got my self a new dap haha

Jan 16, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #1,635 of 8,639
I would never take anybody’s opinion on whether the ZX507 sounds better than the WM1A unless I know how they consider other sources that I have experienced...

For me the ZX507 sounded more like the WM1Z in terms of the warmth and the ZX507 is different to the WM1A for the same reason...ie more neutral but again it can also change for some of us with various ciems or even cables (I don’t mean the science just the individual perception.. before anyone jumps on that comment.. :wink: )

The ZX507 sounds closer to the tonality of the 1A than 1Z. I have all three including the ZX300. The ZX300 is warmer than both the ZX507 and 1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back