SONY NW-ZX500
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #1,606 of 8,639
hmmm, so u say using cobalt with your iphone and tidal streaming is better than the dap. Can you tell more

Greater clarity, more defined sound stage, more holographic/3D. Better trebble... these thoughts come to mind. Just prefer it slightly more. Maybe different opinion if using other IEM's/headphones.

Doesn't have to be iPhone. Using UAPP with Android phone also (but thats not able to do offline).

I avoided using the word Better. Nicer to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,608 of 8,639
This well recorded Bryan Adams concert really allows you to hear the sound stage height of the Sydney Opera House. I feel that the whole album tests the ability of the audio equipment to deliver a live like performance, as in you can use this album to do a shootout against two daps or two headphones/iem. Evaluate the soundstage performance, clapping and cheering & whistling from the audience, the unplugged instruments and the vocal chord straining from Bryan Adams.
Vocal chord straining is very evident on this track:
(Everything I Do) I Do It For You (Live At Sydney Opera House / 2013)

For those with ZX507 & IER-M9 Balanced, try this album with DSEE HX on, it's really amazing how much more soundstage height you will hear and the realism of the audience cheering and clapping.
Hmmm... I listened to the album with my ZX507 and IER-M9, and DSEE-HX on, but I didn’t have the same experience as you. It actually sounded terrible.

However, once I applied a slight tweak to my listening setup, things sounded considerably better: I jammed an ice-pick into both my ears. After that, it was the best Bryan Adams album I’d ever heard. I find jamming a sharp object into my ears always makes Bryan Adams sound better.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,609 of 8,639
Why the C type on the side ? I will need an extra long cable to connect an amp/dac.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #1,610 of 8,639
Why the C type on the side ? I will need an extra long cable to connect an amp/dac.

It doesnt have usb out audio in this dap . If i am not wrong

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:51 AM Post #1,611 of 8,639
Jan 15, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #1,612 of 8,639
Ok here's my take on software enhanced sound and purist approach to audio:

I used to be purist. I got myself a R2R Audio-GD Master 7 and run it on Non-Oversampling Mode and bypass any filtering.
Customizable DSP on the audio-gd
http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm

Yes the master 7 on NOS did sound good on soundstage but it is very jitter sensitive and you needed a really really good source to make it sound focused. NOS isn't perfect as transients sounded weak and 8x oversampling on the DSP is a trade off as the filtering isn't that good as the soundstage feels collapsed. You either had to pick a laid back NOS sound or a sharper sounding(transients) 8x oversampling with small soundstage.

But once I listen to Schitt Yggdrasil DAC, I realised that it's the DSP algorithms and filtering that makes the difference in the sound. It strikes a perfect balance between good soundstage and sharp transients. It is really a good R2R DAC that does PCM well as it is limited to 24bit 192KHz, no MQA or DSD.

Then comes to the Sony. On the zx2 you can also enable a mode that sounds like non-oversampling dac by disabling the sound adjustment app. It made things sound warm but it also make transients doesn't sound as sharp in comparison to sound adjustment app turned on and also DSEE HX turned on. With DSEE HX turned on, it sounded closer to Schitt Yggdrasil transient delivery but it also destroyed the soundstaging. I felt that the ZX300 DSEE HX also suffered from this soundstage collapsed issue.

When you attend a concert in real life, depending on your sitting position, the drums and cymbals transients really hits sharply and feels stronger than what you experience with playback of live recordings.(especially on portable daps and iems)

During concert recording, there are multiple microphones that capture the singer, the audience and the multiple instruments. What you are hearing from concert recording usually is already re-mastered/recreated by a sound engineer. Not to mention that the Analog to Digital Converters and equipment used record already has filtering algorithms and input compression(which affects dynamics/transients) to prevent overloading of the microphones. What I meant to say is that there isn't such a thing as audio purist as everything that is recorded digitally has been affected one way or another by limitations of microphone or analog processing and studio remastering.

What Sony has done is that they have ran simulation models between what is lost during the conversion from their studio master DSD/DXD files and the end result consumer PCM / AAC format that we usually listen to. Then they came out with this DSEE HX algorithm that can restore the audio back to near studio master quality.

This doesn't even take into account that our headphones and IEMs all have issues with soundstaging and freqency coherency, phase timing issues from the placement of the drivers and the use of crossover networks etc..

What I felt about the ZX507 DSEE HX AI is that it can deliver a sound closest to what you experience when you attend a concert in real life. Both transients and soundstaging feels just right on my IER-M9. I now take the approach that whatever sounds better to my ears is more important than having a purist approach as there isn't really a true purist approach in digital audio as you are already dealing with some kind of digital filtering and digital jitters in the first place.

Quiet a detailed explanation you offered here I had an pleasant read.

It is true there is no possible option yet to call it a true real pure audio record. To much in the chain of recordings and variables that affect audio at the end by good margin. So it cones down eventually at sound preferences of a synergy between dap and headphones or iems....

But even so, I been listening a lot to wm1z and I love it because its very versatile... so much filters to play with to fine tune the sound signature, its all very nice.

But I always came back to direct source, after I played even for a week or a 3 day or a month. I realize that direct source is the most complete and nuanced and best sound that wm1z can produce.
With every filters you apply you lose something or you change it. You never add or stack the sound quality, you are actually exchanging sound properties to another. It could be good or bad...

So again at the end I come back to direct source as it is the most clean and richest sound out of wm1z.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,613 of 8,639
I demoed it , it has on the side.

I think folks here on the thread said that there is no option to use this dap as a source for other external dacs....

Like it cannot be a dac no in or out. Same goes for bluetooth dac no in or out....

Just analog via 4.4 or 3.5

How did you found the zx-507? Any similarities with n6 or n8 ?

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #1,614 of 8,639
I think folks here on the thread said that there is no option to use this dap as a source for other external dacs....

Like it cannot be a dac no in or out. Same goes for bluetooth dac no in or out....

Just analog via 4.4 or 3.5

How did you found the zx-507? Any similarities with n6 or n8 ?
Well the cheaper sony android dap did connect to an amp/dac. This is mid tier sounding.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #1,615 of 8,639
I’ll go with e) none of the above, or possibly c). It’s quite well known that the WM1A has a bright sound signature. I found it to be bright even after burn in, almost unlistenable at times during. I also found it to have thin mids after burn in. That’s what I heard. YMMV. I’d say both the ZX300 and the ZX500 have thicker mids from memory. Maybe the newest firmware calmed down the trebles, but I haven’t heard WM1A with the newest version firmware. I had the WM1A for the last time some months ago and I believe it was on firmware 3.01, so I’m not going back that far w my assessments as it relates to firmwares.

Try to remember we all hear things differently. So if you didn’t hear what I heard that makes total sense and is okay. These are just my impressions, and I stand by them.
On the contrary please check my WM1A table on WM1A thread i have a zx100 and a WM1A the bass on 1A its miles away from zx100 it is very powerfull thick and deep on 1.20FW 2.0FW and 3.01FW it goes very deep... and rumbles a lot, also treble need some eq on cheap iems but its not piercing at all.. its sparkles and extends a lot rather than pierce please recheck your statement friend cheers

I know zx100 its not on par to zx2 but i auditioned zx2 and the bass was better than zx100 a lot! but miles away from 1A in terms of speed texture and extension.... so i doubt zx500 will outperform it so easily but i would like a detailed comparison from some user who owns both on FW3.01

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,616 of 8,639
On the contrary please check my WM1A table on WM1A thread i have a zx100 and a WM1A the bass on 1A its miles away from zx100 it is very powerfull thick and deep on 1.20FW 2.0FW and 3.01FW it goes very deep... and rumbles a lot, also treble need some eq on cheap iems but its not piercing at all.. its sparkles and extends a lot rather than pierce please recheck your statement friend cheers

I know zx100 its not on par to zx2 but i auditioned zx2 and the bass was better than zx100 a lot! but miles away from 1A in terms of speed texture and extension.... so i doubt zx500 will outperform it so easily but i would like a detailed comparison from some user who owns both on FW3.01

Hello sir, perhaps you have misread my previous posts on this topic of the ZX500 versus the WM1A, but I have not one time mentioned the ZX100. Please go back and reread my previous posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,617 of 8,639
Quiet a detailed explanation you offered here I had an pleasant read.

It is true there is no possible option yet to call it a true real pure audio record. To much in the chain of recordings and variables that affect audio at the end by good margin. So it cones down eventually at sound preferences of a synergy between dap and headphones or iems....

But even so, I been listening a lot to wm1z and I love it because its very versatile... so much filters to play with to fine tune the sound signature, its all very nice.

But I always came back to direct source, after I played even for a week or a 3 day or a month. I realize that direct source is the most complete and nuanced and best sound that wm1z can produce.
With every filters you apply you lose something or you change it. You never add or stack the sound quality, you are actually exchanging sound properties to another. It could be good or bad...

So again at the end I come back to direct source as it is the most clean and richest sound out of wm1z.

The good thing is Sony gives us a lot of options to adjust according to our own listening preferences and equipment.

I also do use Direct source with low gain for sleeping/relaxing listening. Sometimes you just want to relax and not notice super strong transients.

Have you gotten a chance to hear the ZX507 yet? This walkman has really nice bass even in direct source mode.

Sony has evolved it's sound signature once again..

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,618 of 8,639
The good thing is Sony gives us a lot of options to adjust according to our own listening preferences and equipment.

I also do use Direct source with low gain for sleeping/relaxing listening. Sometimes you just want to relax and not notice super strong transients.

Have you gotten a chance to hear the ZX507 yet? This walkman has really nice bass even in direct source mode.

Sony has evolved it's sound signature once again..

Unfortunately here in montreal I have no local dealers for sony , boo boo. My only hope is probably buy it at amazon and then return . I am about to audition cayin N8 ss and I have a super neet deal on cayin n8 BB if I pull the trigger. A brand new unit for 650$ less!

I will receive the unit shortly maybe tomorrow lets hope and I will do a really deep dive with very focused listening to find the true winner. So far I havent been able to find any dap or dac that sounds better then wm1z.

I just got my plussound gold plated sivler cable , man its pure gold of ecstasy hilariously juicy good vibes so so good, I also was listening to 1z via SE for a month LOL. I just hooked it into balanced. Oh gosh there is such a huuuge difference in sound quality! Very holographic sound, sound stage is like doubled if not tripled, separation is enhanced, very deep rumble. Everything is so dynamic that for a month being on se I had to go low gain on Balanced lol, to much power gota get reused to it :)
I can now confirm that it is not a myth guys balanced is the only way you should listen with wm1z! period! Unless of course you are tired and going to bed se is very good for that, its silky, like warm milky ears with a taste of honey ;p

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,619 of 8,639
Hmm I dont know but dsee hx is all software based this is not real recording or not at all how the artist ment it do be played. This software is using algorithms to add notes that where not there initially. This is all against the audiophile purist approach to sound perception.

Its a good thing we have direct source mode, from what I can tell is I always came back to direct source.
Its the cleanest and sweetest sound, also the most accurate and nuanced in comparison with all the filters that sony is offering....
Amen, great and wonderful observation and exactly I was thinking the same and DSEE HX may be useful for mp3 files with poor ripping or recording but if you want to enjoy the pure sound then direct sound to go and i never use HX any way but Sony has that option that is good.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #1,620 of 8,639
I see you have zx-507 right? so tell me how do you like it? Did you ever had a wm1z or heard one? Also how you find zx-507 vs 1a?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back