SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 2, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #3,572 of 15,518
Lucky find for you

Pinned by 杰哥Jason_Vlog

杰哥Jason_Vlog
3 hours ago
READ BEFORE PROCEED:

1. Download Links (Until May 2, 2022): WM1ZM2:http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-WM1ZM2_0000/contents/0001/NW-WM1ZM2_0000_V1_01_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG WM1AM2:http://info.update.sony.net/PA001/NW-WM1AM2_0000/contents/0001/NW-WM1AM2_0000_V1_01_00_NW_WM_FW.UPG

2. Do not put any URL links in the comments. YouTube will delete them and not recoverable by me.

3. Your Walkman may prevents you from "updating" to the same firmware version. If you are at the latest update, please wait for the next update. Sony releases a new update package about every 2 months. You can check by Googling "Your device name + update". Also, updated device cannot revert to older firmware.

4. You must disconnect the WiFi for offline update. You must put the package in the root directory of the internal storage.

5. If Sony releases the next update, you will have to edit the link. Change "V1_01_00" to the new version number and plus 1 to the "0001" that comes after the "contents" e.g. "...contents/0002/...V1_02_00....UPG". Do not change any other texts of the URL or you might face the "Not Found" issue.

6. If copying the link above gives you the "Not Found", try open the link directly and then edit it if you have to.

7. The "0000" after the model name is the region number. In this case, "0000" stands for Japanese version. For the record, changing the region do not affect the sound quality! Also, the volume limiter in the European device cannot be removed by flashing to other firmwares! All regions contain multiple languages and the only difference is the default IME.

8. Installing Google Service may affects your battery life and takes some storage space.

9. If you want to keep the Google Service installed, NEVER use OTA to update your device! Otherwise it will fallback to Chinese firmware again.

Thanks a lot!

May 2, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #3,573 of 15,518
WM1AM2 battery life test
Chinese firmware (Without Google Services)
Balanced output, volume 50,
Walkman player
Hi-res files : CD quality files =1:5
Hi-gain on, DSEE on, DC on, Vinyl on, EQ off, PCM to DSD off
Airplane mode on, WIFI and Bluetooth off

1651495704639.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #3,574 of 15,518
https://www.cool3c.com/article/175122

For fans who are used to looking at the specifications first, the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 do not have significant data improvements compared to the previous generation models, including the use of the same S-Master HX chip, the same power output, and the more significant specifications. The only difference is that the screen is enlarged, the use of USB Type-C to replace the long-standing WM Port, and the DSD support for higher specifications, etc., but where consumers can't see from the data is also the mystery of audio tuning .

Hiromi Sato also re-emphasized that although there are many high-end DAC chip products with beautiful specifications and data on the market, the S-Master chip developed by Sony for portable devices is still Sony's most suitable architecture for portable playback devices, because commercially available general-purpose devices Although the high-end DAC chip has beautiful data on the book, it also needs ample motherboard space and component matching to realize the theoretical data. This is why the DMP-Z1 previously developed by Sony in pursuit of the ultimate is so huge. At least the layout of the DMP-Z1 must be used for the best effort, but in this way, it is contrary to the type of portable player.

The S-Master HX chip is smaller than the traditional audio DAC chip and has excellent energy efficiency

Designed by Sony's engineering department, the S-Master chip is a highly integrated chip that integrates DAC and expansion. Not only is the chip less than half the size of a traditional audiophile DAC, but it also uses simultaneous digital signal processing and amplification to further reduce distortion. , and through the digital volume control based on changing the voltage, the sound quality degradation of the traditional analog volume at low volume can also be avoided. At the same time, due to the digital architecture, once a clean and stable power supply is used, the sound can also be improved. How to further play The potential of the S-Master is also the subject of this new model.

Details that are invisible from appearance and data specifications further evolve sound quality

Digital and analog partitions can be said to be basic disks

Excluding the core system and S-Master HX, the evolution of the core components of NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 is quite complicated, from PCB technology, soldering, audio components to chassis material and structure, etc., are completely different from the previous generation. , but this time the two models only have differences in the chassis, internal cables and storage capacity, unlike the previous generation where the components on the motherboard are also slightly different, making the performance gap between the two models even narrower, and it may be difficult to distinguish without listening carefully. level, but if you analyze it further, you can feel that subtle component differences can also make a difference in the final listening experience.

▲The audio components developed in-house are all in pursuit of higher sound quality

The circuit design of NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 follows the principle of partitioning of digital and analog architectures. At the same time, copper masks are added to the digital processor and storage memory blocks that are prone to interference. The motherboard PCB not only uses more Thick copper film, using low dielectric conductivity material on the insulator, also fills the hole to further reduce the conduction resistance.

▲The circuit board design of the two new models, please pay attention to the large-capacity FT-CAP3 lying above the digital block

The audio components used in the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 have also been further improved. In addition to the large copper-plated resistors and film capacitors developed in-house by Sony, the FT-CAP solid polymer capacitors introduced into products in 2015 have also been upgraded to In the third generation, Hiromi Sato emphasized that the performance of the FT-CAP3 this time can be said to be a masterpiece. At the same time, according to the design requirements, a large-capacity long-leg capacitor was specially customized for the power supply part, so that this large-capacity FT-CAP3 can be Turning to 90 degrees lying on the circuit further improves the stability and purity of the power supply. At the same time, the crystal oscillator has also changed from silver-plated to gold-plated with lower impedance in the previous generation, which further reduces the signal transmission impedance.

The key components of the two models are made of gold-containing solder

As for the audio solder used to connect components, it has also evolved again. This time, all solder materials containing gold are used. Gold-containing solder can reduce impedance and allow high frequency extension. However, the proportion will be too much. The solder used this time is also The formula that Sony has completed after many attempts, and in the era of DMP-Z1, the welding wire that can be used for manual welding has been completed, but only for parts that are partially welded by hand, and the NW-WM1ZM2 and NW-WM1AM2 are completed with After the gold solder paste is developed, the solder paste is used directly for the connection of components.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,575 of 15,518
So I have a few hours of usage with my WM1AM2 and here are additional thoughts on them:

1. As with the older DAP platform, I look forward to MrWalkman's software wizardry in fully unleashing the potential of the WM1AM2/WM1ZM2!
MrWalkman has stated that until someone can figure out how to root Sony Android DAPs he won't be able to do anything for the M2s. So the chances for that to happen is slim to none.

May 2, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #3,579 of 15,518
Hey guys,

I have few questions about 1ZM2 (EU version):

1. How good will Z1R headphones pair with balanced port? Has it enough power for EU capped version? Audio quality won't be compromised?
2. What is the reason I have to worry about capped version? My daily use would be MX4 headphones & in-car stereo.
3. Using M2 in-car should I go AUX (3.5mm) or Bluetooth for best audio quality?
1. Probably not. The non-capped version has just about enough power, balanced, to drive the MDR ok. With the cap, zero chance.
2. If you drive anything other than sensitive IEMs, you probably won't have enough juice.
3. Aux, always. Unless your car system supports LDAC (I'm not aware of any that do) and even then, wired is better. Personally I only use BT with my phone in the car, to be able to take and make calls.

May 2, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,580 of 15,518
Hey guys,

I have few questions about 1ZM2 (EU version):

1. How good will Z1R headphones pair with balanced port? Has it enough power for EU capped version? Audio quality won't be compromised?
2. What is the reason I have to worry about capped version? My daily use would be MX4 headphones & in-car stereo.
3. Using M2 in-car should I go AUX (3.5mm) or Bluetooth for best audio quality?
2. If your main use is with Sony XM4 BT headphones (in ear or over ear) I would say the 1Z is massive overkill since you don’t use most of what gives it it’s quality, a smartphone that supports ldac would probably be just as good

May 2, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #3,581 of 15,518
Hi, @Sonywalkmanuser can you share the exactly model of Swissbit are you using now? I saw there are 2 model of 256 the different is “I” and “E” in their name.

May 2, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #3,582 of 15,518
Was Hi-gain ON ?
BTW did you manage to install JP firmware and access the Play Store?
Hi-gain ON. I have installed JP fw just now! And I will test battery life again with JP fw.

May 2, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #3,584 of 15,518
Hi-gain ON. I have installed JP fw just now! And I will test battery life again with JP fw.
The best way to save battery is to disable systems apps.

You can head to system>>apps>>system apps

Start to disabling and force stop what you don’t need. There will be a whole bunch of them installed: for example, printing services, keychain, live wall paper….etc

WM1AM2 battery life test
Chinese firmware (Without Google Services)
Balanced output, volume 50,
Walkman player
Hi-res files : CD quality files =1:5
Hi-gain on, DSEE on, DC on, Vinyl on, EQ off, PCM to DSD off
Airplane mode on, WIFI and Bluetooth off

This means it can be about 20 hours or so ! That is a great news though. However, I am afraid that the Android 11 is demanding, and we may not see higher Android supported for it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #3,585 of 15,518
Last Sony interview said it will play with Z1R very good. They didn't mention not for guys who purchased EU capped version.
of course they wouldn't do that. bad marketing for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

• domi
Back