SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 20, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,731 of 15,518
I still can not determine whether the M2 still use that ultra cap or not, I know zx507 still do. Have anyone be able to snap clear picture of the displayed PCB between A/Z ?

Do you mean this on the MK1 models?:

Screenshot_20220420-201442_Chrome.jpg

Doesn't appear to be on the M2's unless its been replaced by this?:

Screenshot_20220420-202834_Gallery.jpg

Apr 20, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #2,735 of 15,518
@Whitigir
There is a quality segregation right at the wafer level for nand chips:

Manufacturing process​

The way that NAND Flash is made can have a dramatic outcome on the performance characteristics.

NAND Flash goes through over 800 different manufacturing processes and it takes around 30 days to make just one wafer (which is the size of a large pizza, typically 300mm in diameter, see image below). NAND factories or ‘FABS’ are huge, run 24/7, 365 days a year for maximum efficiency and are 100 times cleaner than hospital operating theatres. FABS can make different types of NAND Flash (SLC, MLC, 3D - more on that below) and come in different sizes. Some of the largest FABS can make over 100,000 wafers a month.

Once the wafer is divided, or cut into separate chips, these are analysed and graded as 1,2,3 or 4, with 1 being the highest quality. The chips are then shipped to a vendor, such as Kingston Technology, who use the NAND in their own products.

The highest quality chips will have the best performance characteristics and therefore a price premium.

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nand-flash

Apr 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,737 of 15,518
Thank you my friend! An excellent find
Another find for you:
https://www.cyberdefensemagazine.com/the-challenges-of-industrial-3d-nand/

Looks like the latest industrial 3D nand controllers have built in Error correction Code into their data paths, buffers and dram:

New controllers – new features​

One improvement that has resulted from the additional requirements demanded from modern 3D NAND controllers is End-to-End data path protection or E2E DP. In older controllers, the internal RAM for the page buffers, the data path between the different units, and the DRAM content were not protected against bit fails (for example as a result of radiation or alpha particles).

Undetected data corruption poses a high risk because it can lead to incorrect settings or wrong results. An undetected single bit fails could cause significant financial or even physical damage were it to happen with bank transactions, medical treatments, or robot control.

The latest controllers protect all data paths with parities. All buffer areas and DRAM content are secured by ECC (Error Correction Code).

Errors no longer go undetected, and in most cases rejecting and repeating a write command or marking the read data as defective can prevent further processing of the incorrect data.

I guess this settles what is considered as “Bit Perfect” music playback.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #2,738 of 15,518
F8B083BE-CFF3-4DB3-BBD1-6A85DCE6F184.jpeg

Seems like Sony use of gold vapour deposition does have scientific backing:

This paper investigated the effect of electrode materials on the performance of quartz crystal microbalance (QCM) sensors by means of theoretical calculation, experiment, and finite element analysis methods. First, we calculated the particle displacement amplitude and thus obtained the mass sensitivity function distribution of QCMs with gold, silver and aluminum electrodes, and found that the QCM with the gold electrode has the highest mass sensitivity at the center of the electrode. Then, we tested the humidity-sensing performance of QCMs with gold, silver, and aluminum electrodes using graphene oxide (GO) as the sensitive material, and found that the QCM with the gold electrode has higher humidity sensitivity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8954940/

Apr 20, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #2,739 of 15,518

Seems like Sony use of gold vapour deposition does have scientific backing:

This paper investigated the effect of electrode materials on the performance of quartz crystal microbalance (QCM) sensors by means of theoretical calculation, experiment, and finite element analysis methods. First, we calculated the particle displacement amplitude and thus obtained the mass sensitivity function distribution of QCMs with gold, silver and aluminum electrodes, and found that the QCM with the gold electrode has the highest mass sensitivity at the center of the electrode. Then, we tested the humidity-sensing performance of QCMs with gold, silver, and aluminum electrodes using graphene oxide (GO) as the sensitive material, and found that the QCM with the gold electrode has higher humidity sensitivity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8954940/
Have they not been using the same as M1 ? They probably didn’t market it or advertised it
7FECA405-D09C-43D8-83B6-28C64DC8FB9F.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #2,742 of 15,518
Nice case…a few days ago I preordered the 1AM2 from Audio46 and they still have no estimated arrival date. They did tell me that they ordered 100 but weren’t sure how many they would actually receive. Just passing along some info.

Apr 20, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,744 of 15,518
I am sketical that it will be on schedule, currently 26/4
I have already received notification that its been delayed. 3/5 now - im still being skeptical with this date

Users who are viewing this thread

Back