SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,716 of 15,500
Had a Webchat with Sony Centre in UK again:

Any stock of SONY NW-WM1ZM2/1AM2 ? Do you know if its volume limited as per EU and the High Gain function removed?​
Agent profile image
stock isn't available until June,​
That explains why Amazon didn't deliver today then! Muppets. Hence looking at Sony Direct! Do you know if it has been crippled like the ZX507 has for EU/UK, and the High Gain removed too?​
Agent profile image
Oh dear
🤦🏻
off the top of my head i don't know, but it is possible​
When I pre-ordered with Amazon they said delivery today, took day of work too to be in and only at 12pm did they say will update when stock available! after showing out for delivery today. Even your own site this morning showed for tomorrow delivery at first. Oh well, thanks for replies :)
Agent profile image
no worries, start of June my order system says,​

Oh well, give me time to see what the Hiby R5 gen 2 is like as that should arrive first now ! :upside_down:
Sony U.K. website currently shows it as in stock and if ordered now delivery tomorrow or Friday.

Yeah I’m not sure I believe it either

https://www.sony.co.uk/store/product/nwwm1am2.cew/WM1AM2-Walkman-Digital-Media-Player

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #2,717 of 15,500
You don’t plan on keeping it for a while do you ? Cause I can’t think of what will happen 2 years from now. The Zx2 support is like extinct....even if it is android
Android 6 is still in support by streaming apps (lower for some) so I'd expect Android 11 to be supported for at least 6 years. I'd expect to keep something of this value a good 3-5, but you never know in this hobby !

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #2,718 of 15,500
Sony U.K. website currently shows it as in stock and if ordered now delivery tomorrow or Friday.

Yeah I’m not sure I believe it either

https://www.sony.co.uk/store/product/nwwm1am2.cew/WM1AM2-Walkman-Digital-Media-Player
They already told me website is wrong and no stock until June.

But then ripping into the Amazon agent about my missing "today" delivery he's still adamant mine will come out of stock expecting next week now! So who to believe.

Based on other Sony DAP's and feedback from Sony I'm sure it will be capped so likely to just jump on the next Amazon Japan stock now seeing as over £100 cheaper with delivery/duties to import too (when I had in basket, before I delayed too long and went out of stock!)

Apr 20, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,719 of 15,500
The zx507 was introduced in late 2019 and its still very much capable and compatible with streaming apps now going on its 3rd year, and that’s on Android 9 if I’m not mistaken. Five years is easy on the wm1a 2nd gen provided the battery holds of course :)
This is on official support, for sure sideloading on it will also be possible

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #2,720 of 15,500
Tidal works with android 6.0 onwards
Amazon music works with android 5.0 onwards

Unless there is a significant change in which streaming audio works, I don’t think there should be any justification for fear mongering with regards to Sony support for their newer android based Walkman or anything with regards to losing streaming or offline playback functionality. The ZX507 received it’s last firmware update back in November 2021, though it’s more security related update. These newer Walkman should still have enough processing power to handle their audio related tasks for the next few years.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #2,721 of 15,500
I wonder if stocks in Asia will also not be released on their previously indicated dates… preorder page by Sony PH says it will be released starting April 22, hopefully it doesnt get delayed but not really banking on it, as releases here are usually late, was even surprised they had an early preorder

My screen protector from lazada has already arrived and got a good idea how big the new players are compared to the first gen. There are no demo units here even on stores that accept preorders

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #2,722 of 15,500
Well I've owned few DAP but never thought it got hot, at least to the point where I think a fan was needed. Warm, yes but needing fan, no. Don't know how hot it gets with special function but, especially with no ventilation on the hardware itself, it feels almost useless to me, at least, in my logic. I mean, there really isn't anything needing to be pulled out as it doesn't have vents
and blowing onto it, only coolsnthe surface and not the Boards themselves. Besides, majority of the time, you don't want to blow into it, you want to pull it out
As far as I can tell, Fiio DAPs don't have air vents either
Since there is no air vent, u would need to cool down the surface so that the heat gets conducted through it to cool down internally...

Apr 20, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #2,723 of 15,500
Tidal works with android 6.0 onwards
Amazon music works with android 5.0 onwards

Unless there is a significant change in which streaming audio works, I don’t think there should be any justification for fear mongering with regards to Sony support for their newer android based Walkman or anything with regards to losing streaming or offline playback functionality. The ZX507 received it’s last firmware update back in November 2021, though it’s more security related update. These newer Walkman should still have enough processing power to handle their audio related tasks for the next few years.

Qobuz is Android 6 or later as well for new versions. Just adding a data point to the list...

Apr 20, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #2,729 of 15,500
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #2,730 of 15,500
A summary of my opinion: WM1A vs WM1Z vs WM1AM2 vs WM1ZM2

For maximum value or if you want the fastest sounding Signature Series, please buy the WM1A. Additionally, its price on the second hand market should fall once the new Walkman hit the market.

For those who liked the WM1A but wanted a darker but cleaner sounding WM1A, the WM1AM2 is your choice. It is also the most value option for this coming generation.

For those who can go without streaming and love the darker Sony sound signature, buy the WM1Z. It is harder to find in the second hand market as many existing users (like myself) are probably going to hold on for it till we enter a wooden box.

Lastly, for those who see money as toilet paper or just want what Sony thinks is the best sound for the next 5-6 years, please buy the WM1ZM2. I assure you it won't disappoint.

I wish to extend my deepest gratitude to Connect-IT for letting me try their Walkman again, especially that bespectacled Chinese guy behind the counter who helped me retrieve both Walkman and the IER-Z1R to try. Shoutout to Alicia, she was at the 313 store again. She seems to follow wherever the Walkman go :thinking:.
Love your summary, you won me over!!

I kept my Ipod for 15 years until I found this site, then modded the heck out of it.

Streaming is not for me, I'm old school as in Old. My 1Z goes in my wooden box as well. I hope Mr Walkman keeps going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back