SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #1,501 of 15,516
Anyone heard of the brand YXHH? The reason I ask is i'm looking for a case but unfortunately, none of the store that know of won't ship to USA and/or Out of Stock. Now, i know this is an imitation and they are using a generic Sony picture with faded out logo, but was curious as this may be my only option currently (unless if someone can suggest one and that won't take like a month to ship <aka Ebay>)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/ウォークマン本革ケース-NW-WM1ZM2-NW-WM1AM2専用レザーケース-CKL-NWWM1M2-ブラック…/dp/B09WHXRS2C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=CKL-NWWM1M2&qid=1648519438&sr=8-3

as of a mater, if anyone can recommend any case for M2 that is in USA, please let me know where. I currently use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XQVZC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for the M1 and it has done me well. i originally had a MITER one but that one was horribly built in my opinion

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #1,502 of 15,516
Anyone heard of the brand YXHH? The reason I ask is i'm looking for a case but unfortunately, none of the store that know of won't ship to USA and/or Out of Stock. Now, i know this is an imitation and they are using a generic Sony picture with faded out logo, but was curious as this may be my only option currently (unless if someone can suggest one and that won't take like a month to ship <aka Ebay>)

https://www.amazon.co.jp/ウォークマン本革ケース-NW-WM1ZM2-NW-WM1AM2専用レザーケース-CKL-NWWM1M2-ブラック…/dp/B09WHXRS2C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=CKL-NWWM1M2&qid=1648519438&sr=8-3

as of a mater, if anyone can recommend any case for M2 that is in USA, please let me know where I currently use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XQVZC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it has done me well. i originally had a MITER one but that one was horribly built in my opinion
Wait for Miter or Dignis cases.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:04 AM Post #1,506 of 15,516
Has anyone had a chance to compare wm1zm2 against other totl daps like AK SP2K, Shanling M9, Fiio M17 or the new Cayin N8ii?

Will it offer improvement or just on par?

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #1,507 of 15,516
One more piece of important advice from me, avoid gathering your opinions from “science”/measurement sites like this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ny-nw-wm1a-review-digital-audio-player.18099/

They don’t even bother to listen to the Walkman and give a detailed subjective opinion.

Also there are doubts about the accuracy of their measurements too:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/post-14289631
The High end audio world is drowning in snake oil. It plays on largely men's ability to collect for collecting sake, pressing consumer obsolence FOMO buttons which have now been baked into our consumer-brain DNA.

Audio Science review at least tries to measure the claims. PS Audio's recent v personal attacks on ASR when he took a detailed look under the hood of one of their $6,000 pieces of kit was a real wizard behind the curtain moment.

Capture+_2022-03-29-08-59-16.png

A behind the curtain high end audio peak....

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #1,508 of 15,516
The High end audio world is drowning in snake oil. It plays on largely men's ability to collect for collecting sake, pressing consumer obsolence FOMO buttons which have now been baked into our consumer-brain DNA.

Audio Science review at least tries to measure the claims. PS Audio's recent v personal attacks on ASR when he took a detailed look under the hood of one of their $6,000 pieces of kit was a real wizard behind the curtain moment.

Capture+_2022-03-29-08-59-16.png

A behind the curtain high end audio peak....

i forgot where that was from... Wizard of Oz?

Mar 29, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #1,510 of 15,516
@MrWalkman - Do you know if the new players have this “Red” and “Blue” rendering modes (I don’t really know what it means per se). Presumably they will have these modes given the high res streaming option in the ‘sound’ menu??

Reason I ask is I’ve been in contact with Davy from UAPP and he’s asked me to clarify.

FYI - UAPP didn’t automatically detect the Internal High-Res driver (so didn’t automatically bypass the Android driver). But sounds like there’s a workaround (even if he can’t build in full support for these players)

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #1,511 of 15,516
@MrWalkman - Do you know if the new players have this “Red” and “Blue” rendering modes (I don’t really know what it means per se). Presumably they will have these modes given the high res streaming option in the ‘sound’ menu??

Reason I ask is I’ve been in contact with Davy from UAPP and he’s asked me to clarify.

FYI - UAPP didn’t automatically detect the Internal High-Res driver (so didn’t automatically bypass the Android driver). But sounds like there’s a workaround (even if he can’t build in full support for these players)

It shouldn't be different than the ZX507.

Do you own one of the M2 players? I can email him about it, and then he could send you a test build if you have one of the players.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #1,512 of 15,516
I’ve got lots of initial impressions about this WM1AM2 and most very positive. Maybe I’ll get a chance to post more soon.

But one thing I wanted to say right off the bat. Whilst waiting for UAPP to hopefully get sorted behind the scenes, I’ve downloaded the Tidal app and streaming (with High-Res turned on) sounds really nice.

Still, don’t quite understand what’s going on with the whole non-bypass of Android when streaming (is Android converting digital to audio, or simply resampling for the Sony components to do the conversions? But then isn’t it the Sony device upsampling to 192?)… Very confusing!

I feel like whatever is happening under the hood I’m probably going to end up preferring streaming via Tidal app than UAPP (even if it’s not bypassing Android SRC)… We’ll see.

What could be alarming though…. It does seem that High Res Streaming option does affect battery quite badly… I’ve gone from 100% down to 53% after just 2 or so hours of streaming. Hmm… I wonder if that just because the battery needs a few charge cycles before it has optimum performance?

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #1,513 of 15,516
It shouldn't be different than the ZX507.

Do you own one of the M2 players? I can email him about it, and then he could send you a test build if you have one of the players.

Yeah I’ve just got the WM1AM2 in yesterday. But yeah, I’m happy to test this to get it sorted

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:40 AM Post #1,514 of 15,516
I’ve got lots of initial impressions about this WM1AM2 and most very positive. Maybe I’ll get a chance to post more soon.

But one thing I wanted to say right off the bat. Whilst waiting for UAPP to hopefully get sorted behind the scenes, I’ve downloaded the Tidal app and streaming (with High-Res turned on) sounds really nice.

Still, don’t quite understand what’s going on with the whole non-bypass of Android when streaming (is Android converting digital to audio, or simply resampling for the Sony components to do the conversions? But then isn’t it the Sony device upsampling to 192?)… Very confusing!

I feel like whatever is happening under the hood I’m probably going to end up preferring streaming via Tidal app than UAPP (even if it’s not bypassing Android SRC)… We’ll see.

What could be alarming though…. It does seem that High Res Streaming option does affect battery quite badly… I’ve gone from 100% down to 53% after just 2 or so hours of streaming. Hmm… I wonder if that just because the battery needs a few charge cycles before it has optimum performance?
My A105 is horrific when streaming Tidal with high res on, lucky if I get 3-4 hours on a full charge.

Mar 29, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #1,515 of 15,516
Looks like way too high battery drain. On my ZX507, which has a much smaller battery, Tidal streaming with the Hi Res Streaming option turned on and additionally with a Vinyl processor, uses about 15% per hour. Volume 62 on high gain and 82 on low gain. I am looking forward to your 1AM2 comparison, especially with the Shanling M9, but compared to the ZX2 I am also very curious.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back