SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
Mar 28, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,471 of 15,516
This reviewer uses @MrWalkman custom firmware for his M1
https://kakaku.com/auth/profile/profile.aspx?NickName=new3

Review for WM1ZM2:
https://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001420913/ReviewCD=1564346/#tab
It is a difference in "sound quality tendency" from the first generation, not evolution.
I made a reservation for WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 with the feeling of jumping off the stage of Kiyomizu, and today it will be an impression that arrives at my home.

I wanted to make a simple comparison with the original 1A, 1Z, ZX507, extraordinary but fiio M17, TA-ZH1ES (+ original 1Z), ifI ZEN signature, and ifI xDSD Gryphon that I had left at hand, and decide which one to keep. The headphones were SONY MDR-Z1R and Sennheiser HD800s, and the music sources were fusion and J-pop, which I often hear.
I've already listened to 1AM2 and 1ZM2 three times (about an hour in total), and I've grasped the general tendency.

First of all, comparing the original 1Z and 1ZM2, I felt the depth and warmth of the original sound and the dignified subduction of the bass. M2 is a pure audio-like transparent beautiful sound with little lingering feeling like the first generation. Definitely a good sound.

Next are the original 1A and 1AM2, but the two have very different sound quality trends. The first generation had a sharp sound with a sense of punch and speed, and also had a rough sound. 1AM2 is not an "evolution from the first generation" because it is very close to the sound tendency of 1ZM2. If you like the original sound, you probably don't need to buy a new one.

Now, the difference between 1ZM2 and 1AM2, but if you listen carefully, 1ZM2 has a transparent feeling + a thin warm feeling (less than half of the first generation), and it has a purer and gentler sound. However, I feel that there is no clear difference (the difference was clear in the first generation). Since the sound has almost the same tendency, it is extremely bad when considering 1ZM2 in terms of cost performance. The conclusion of this two-party comparison is that "1AM2" is sufficient as in the audition.

The comparison between old and new signature series and the conclusion are summarized below, though it is only in terms of sound quality.

-There is no big difference in sound quality between the M2 and 2 models.
-The M2 and 2 models are extremely pure audio-oriented, have high resolution, are smooth, and have an analytical sound tendency, and are monitor-like beautiful sound sounds.
・ If you like a mellow and warm sound, it is
the first WM1Z. ・ If you want speed, sharpness, and all-roundness, it is the first

WM1A .

The sound quality has not improved.・ The fact is that the tendency of the sound is completely different
from that of the first generation. If you like the sound of the first generation, you do not need to replace it (it is not superior or inferior) .
It is possible
・ If you are a subscriber, you can switch to M2, and the battery is considerably strengthened (especially when switching from ZX507)

Each person has his or her own taste for sound, but I personally ranked the above-mentioned owned DAPs and Potaan in terms of sound quality (arbitrariness and prejudice).
* 1st place is 100

1.WM1Z (first generation) → 100
2.TA-ZH1ES → 95
2.WM1Z M2 (new) → 95
3. fiio M17 (DC mode) → 90
3.ifI ZEN signature (CAN + ONE) → 90
3. WM1A (first generation) → 90 4.
WM1A M2 (new) → 85
4. xDSD Gryphon → 85
5. ZX507 → 80

If I ZEN signature (CAN + ONE) is the strongest if it is said only by subscription + sound quality cost performance.

Sony's new signature series is not a bad option at the moment if it is Android + subscription DAP. However, it lacks innovation and "has no absolute advantage." Personally, I decided to focus on the sound quality and leave the "both first generation".

Review for WM1AM2:
https://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001420914/ReviewCD=1564420/#tab
The difference in sound quality from 1ZM2 is slight, and the sound quality tendency is different from the first generation.
I made a reservation for this machine and 1ZM2, and it is an impression that arrived at my home today. I've already listened to this unit and the 1ZM2, and I've grasped the general tendency.

First of all, the sound quality of this unit is different from that of the original 1A, but the tendency is very different. The first generation was characterized by a sharp sound that had both punching power and a sense of speed. This unit is a pure audio sound that is very close to the sound tendency of 1ZM2.
However, instead of the "evolution from the first generation", it changed to a Chinese high-end DAP-like, slightly inorganic and gentle sound.

Although there is a difference in sound quality between the 1ZM2 and this unit, the 1ZM2 has a sense of transparency and warmth, and has a smoother sound. However, it can be said that there is no clear difference. With the same trend of sound, the price difference between this unit and 1ZM2 is about 200,000. To be honest, I can't find any value in the sound quality of 1ZM2. My conclusion is that "1AM2" is enough as in the audition.

The old and new comparisons and conclusions of the signature series are summarized below from the viewpoint of sound quality.

・ The sound quality trends of the two M2 models are similar. Therefore, 1AM2 is sufficient.
-The two models of the new M2 are extremely pure audio-oriented, with high resolution and smooth, monitor-like beautiful sound.
-The sound quality has not improved since the first generation.
・ The fact is that the tendency of sound is different from that of the first generation, and it is not possible to compare superiority or inferiority. If you like the sound of the first generation, you don't need to buy a new one.
・ If you are a subscriber, you can switch to the new M2, and the battery has been considerably strengthened.

Those who have the first generation should not simply sell or replace because it is not "evolution, sound quality improvement". Don't rush

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #1,472 of 15,516
Great recent interview with Suzanne Vega which touched on enjoying music over obsessing about 'fidelity'. Also highlights shocking treatment of brilliant music makers by record companies and streaming services.

Maybe less spending on chasing the white gear rabbit and more buying music from artists....

Super Deluxe Edition Logo

INTERVIEW 25 MAR 2022

Close Up with Suzanne Vega​

The SDE interview​

BY PAUL SINCLAIR
vega_notextv.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u...uzanne-vega/&title=Close Up with Suzanne Vega
http://twitter.com/share?url=https:...suzanne-vega/&text=Close Up with Suzanne Vega

http://reddit.com/submit?url=https:...uzanne-vega/&title=Close Up with Suzanne Vega
Around 10 years ago, Suzanne Vega’s Close-Up Series saw the singer-songwriter re-record swathes of her back catalogue and release newly-curated volumes of re-interpretations stripped of their original productions. Four volumes were issued: Love Songs and People and Places (both in 2010), States of Being (2011) and Songs of Family (2012). These were primarily CD releases, although limited black vinyl pressings were issued at the time.
Today, a special coloured vinyl 4LP vinyl deluxe set is released and SDE recently caught up with Suzanne to ask her about the initiative.

Obviously, these all came out on CD originally. It probably would have been really expensive to do vinyl on your own fledgling label back then, and there wasn’t the ‘vinyl revival’ at that time anyway. But what do you what do you make of vinyl? Is this a preferred medium for you? Or are you just giving the marketplace what it wants at this moment in time?

Well, it’s not really a preferred medium for me. I grew up with vinyl but I’m not really picky about my choice of how I listen to music. I listened to vinyl back in the day, but I also had a transistor radio when I was eight or nine and thought that was the coolest thing ever. And it was totally compressed and probably sounded like garbage to most people. But you know, you could get the lyrics, you can get the rhythm, and back then there was nothing cooler than to walk down the street with holding it up to your ear. So I’m not one of these people who needs like all my components and the subwoofers and the tweeters and everything to be perfect. I just grab it where I can get it [laughs], basically.

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #1,473 of 15,516

https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/blog/detail/552

SONY NW-WM1AM2
SONY NW-WM1AM2

Supports streaming subscription service! SONY Walkman​

With the Android OS installed, the long-awaited "streaming subscription service support" that was not possible with the old model has become possible! Of course, you can also use the Google Play Store app, so you can use it on Spotify, Apple Music, or Amazon Music by installing the required app from the store.

In addition, you can listen to various data with high resolution sound quality by installing the upscaling technology "DSEE Ultimate". In addition, the specifications with attention to detail, such as the use of the proprietary capacitor "FTCAP3" and the "high-quality solder" with gold added to the parts, are also attractive.
Recommended for people like this!
・ Replacement by purchase from the previous Walkman ・
I want to listen to music streaming services with high sound quality
Staff fundamental image

Staff Review
Fujiya Avic Staff: Nemoto

Realistic music experience​

The sound is clear and crisp like Sony, but I feel that the sound field is wider and the sense of separation is higher than the old model.

As for the sound field, the spread up and down and the wraparound to the back are improved, and when you listen to a live sound source with good recording, you can feel the presence like 3D sound . There is a feeling that the sound image is a little larger, but there is also a high sense of separation and the localization does not become loose, and the positional relationship of the sound can be heard firmly, etc. It is an impression that it became. (Quoted from staff review)

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #1,474 of 15,516

SONY NW-WM1ZM2​

SONY NW-WM1ZM2

SONY high-end walkman​

The high-end Walkman "NW-WM1ZM2" released at the same time as the "NW-WM1AM2" mentioned above. Differences are
NW-WM1AM2: Machined chassis of 99.99% pure oxygen-free copper, rear cover molded by aluminum press, OFC cable for part of internal wiring, built-in memory (128GB)

NW-WM1ZM2: Machined aluminum chassis, aluminum cutting The rear cover, a part of the internal wiring is a gold bar cable, and the built-in memory (256GB)
Recommended for people like this!
・ After all, high-end Walkman!
・ I want to carry a lot of music data
Staff fundamental image

Staff Review
Fujiya Avic Staff: Nemoto

More expressive power​

The basic sound quality tendency is the same as that of "NW-WM1AM2", but the image is more expressive. Since the dynamic range is dramatically increased , the strength and connection of the sound can flow into your ears more silky.

Is it a feeling that something is being expressed between the silence when there is no sound and the first sound coming out? The resolution is not just crisp, but it is a perfect balance that the sounds are well separated while maintaining a cohesive sound output (quoted from the staff review).

Mar 28, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #1,475 of 15,516

[Haste review] SONY Walkman latest work "NW-WM1AM2" "NW-WM1ZM2"​

https://www.fujiya-avic.co.jp/blog/detail/647

Which to buy, NW-WM1AM2 or NW-WM1ZM2? !!​

By the way, when I listened to both "NW-WM1AM2" and "NW-WM1ZM2" and said "Which one should I buy ?!" ... This is a very difficult choice.

The sound quality tendency of the previous model was quite different, so I felt like "Please choose your favorite music genre", but with this M2 model, the difference in the tendency is especially due to the improvement of the sound quality of "NW-WM1AM2". The impression is that it has shrunk sharply, and considering the price difference between the two models, I think the "NW-WM1AM2" is quite a bargain.

However, even though the sound quality tendency has become closer, the "NW-WM1ZM2" is naturally higher than that when compared directly. The more severely you listen, the more you will be amazed at the high expressiveness. However, the price is more than double that of "WM1AM2", but after listening to the sound, it seems that there will be a lot of people who can not give an answer.

It is best to check this with your own ears and make a decision in consultation with your wallet.

Mar 28, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,476 of 15,516
A83FB61E-FBDF-4943-B112-BC184F064393.jpeg

Received my WM1AM2 today then. Here it is in between the Shanling M9 and ZX2.

Looking forward to properly comparing it against both once it’s had time to ‘age’ a bit!

Mar 28, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,477 of 15,516
Got a basic question for someone with more knowledge then me.

What exactly does turning on High-Res Streaming do (in the sound menu)?

Is it only relevant for a streaming app like Tidal etc? But if I read correctly all streaming apps are handled by the Android driver (which limits bitrate anyway, right?)?

Does having High-Res Streaming ON/OFF affect UAPP (which looks to bypass the Android driver) ?

Edit: think I might have found my answer searching a few pages back!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,478 of 15,516
Mar 28, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,479 of 15,516
There are obviously many knowledgeable audio folks on this forum who have discussed the new Sony Signature Walkmen and how it works with 3rd party Android streaming Apps.

I'm a 100% Tidal hi-res streaming user and unfortunately despite my best efforts, a simpleton when it comes to audio technologies. I've followed the forum but have been unable to decipher whether or not the new Walkmen will play Tidal music in a way that would take advantage of Sony's quality sound. I would certainly appreciate it if someone could explain in laymen's terms how and if the new Walkmen would be a good resource for listening to tidal Hi-res. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,480 of 15,516
There are obviously many knowledgeable audio folks on this forum who have discussed the new Sony Signature Walkmen and how it works with 3rd party Android streaming Apps.

I'm a 100% Tidal hi-res streaming user and unfortunately despite my best efforts, a simpleton when it comes to audio technologies. I've followed the forum but have been unable to decipher whether or not the new Walkmen will play Tidal music in a way that would take advantage of Sony's quality sound. I would certainly appreciate it if someone could explain in laymen's terms how and if the new Walkmen would be a good resource for listening to tidal Hi-res. Thanks in advance for your help.
If it's the same configuration of the ZX-507 i guess it will upsample to 192 kHz. It's not bit perfect but from memory it sounded better than other DAPs that are doing bit perfect.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #1,482 of 15,516
Got a basic question for someone with more knowledge then me.

What exactly does turning on High-Res Streaming do (in the sound menu)?

Is it only relevant for a streaming app like Tidal etc? But if I read correctly all streaming apps are handled by the Android driver (which limits bitrate anyway, right?)?

Does having High-Res Streaming ON/OFF affect UAPP (which looks to bypass the Android driver) ?

Edit: think I might have found my answer searching a few pages back!

Without it, streaming apps (not the Sony player app) will be limited by Android to 16 bits, 48khz (if like the ZX507). When activating it, everything gets sampled to 32 bits, 192khz. Not a user of UAPP, can't help there. From the ZX507 manual:
  1. Tap the switch to turn on the [High-Res streaming] function.
    Music streamed using apps other than “Music player” is played in the following quality.
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is on:
      Up-converted playback at 192 kHz/32 bit
    • [Use High-Res streaming] is off:
      Down-converted playback at 48 kHz/16 bit

From a 100% Tidal perspective, it means you won't be getting a bitperfect playback from the Tidal app if that matters to you. Not that Sony is a big proponent of bitperfect anyway, they love their DSP. You can certainly take advantage of the Sony multiple DSP options nonetheless. So it depends what is important for you: signal path or end results. I understand UAPP has Tidal imbedded but don't know enough to comment.

On a separate note, not sure how the M2s will handle that high-res streaming option but on the ZX507 with streaming on, it took the poor battery life to a new level of terrible where the % was pretty much a countdown in minutes to depletion...

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #1,484 of 15,516
That you all for your input on Tidal & Walkman options, I appreciate it. I think I have a better handle on it.

I have a Hiby R8 and the Tidal files sound pretty good to me playing from it (mostly jazz). That said, I've read so much about how Sony's sound is on a different level from other DAPs and now that it can be streamed from 3rd party apps it sounded (perhaps simplistically) like a home run to me. Seems like unless I play from the Sony player app there might not be much to gain - for me at least.

Mar 28, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #1,485 of 15,516
On a separate note, not sure how the M2s will handle that high-res streaming option but on the ZX507 with streaming on, it took the poor battery life to a new level of terrible where the % was pretty much a countdown in minutes to depletion...
lol that's terrible. I don't need added battery anxiety while i'm streaming music. Hope M2s fare better in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back