SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 15, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,291 of 15,084
I find Sony to be ridiculous in their lack of interest or understanding of the need to optimize Android to unlock the full potential of a player that can run other Android music apps. Makes no sense whatsoever. They had the same issues with the ZX507 and learned nothing it seems.
They must sell units in a niche area. Thus, they try to maximize their DAP related revenues. Using Android is surely cheaper than continuing developing their own DAP OS or getting too deep into some kind of Android mod. This does make sense to them. But, as others already said... if you are not satisfied with this situation, just don't buy these Sony DAPs 😉.
Show me a product you bought within the last ten years which is absolutely perfect... 🤔

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #4,293 of 15,084
I find Sony to be ridiculous in their lack of interest or understanding of the need to optimize Android to unlock the full potential of a player that can run other Android music apps. Makes no sense whatsoever. They had the same issues with the ZX507 and learned nothing it seems.
Well, I don't think Sony's software engineer would be subpar comparing to those Chinese DAP nor AK.

I guess since some Android version, Google would limit the extent of source code modification of Android for a device to be certified. This limits the ability of what manufacturers could do. As per my understanding, to achieve system-wide bit perfect, source code modification is required (the AudioFlinger and related module(s), if my understanding is correct), while each app is allowed include its own output module to achieve bit-perfect. No idea why Android takes this approach

Those Chinese DAP/AK would not face such restriction since their device is not "certified"

May 15, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #4,294 of 15,084
Well, amidst all this complaints about the Sony M2s, I am just glad to be able to enjoy it. It is heavenly with the FitEar DC Ti paired with the limited FitEar 009 Aqua cable that was specially picked by Suyama-san for the DC Ti. Bliss on a Monday morning. :)

BA0F954A-CD1E-4863-98D7-3A0D7AC90974.jpeg

May 16, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #4,295 of 15,084
Well, I don't think Sony's software engineer would be subpar comparing to those Chinese DAP nor AK.

I guess since some Android version, Google would limit the extent of source code modification of Android for a device to be certified. This limits the ability of what manufacturers could do. As per my understanding, to achieve system-wide bit perfect, source code modification is required (the AudioFlinger and related module(s), if my understanding is correct), while each app is allowed include its own output module to achieve bit-perfect. No idea why Android takes this approach

Those Chinese DAP/AK would not face such restriction since their device is not "certified"

The Sony Walkman software layer has recently been changed to allow for Hi-Resolution Playback from android apps, as evidence from the Neutron(adjustment of settings) and USB Audio Player Pro able to playback native sampling rates/bit perfect mode.

The issue is with the streaming apps not taking advantage of this by using older legacy android audio drivers/software layers that does not use the Walkman's high resolution software layer. Not sure if Sony will work with these streaming app developers to get this hi-res support up and running, but we will see in the future.

Though this native sampling issue isn't all that serious degradation for sound quality. The M2 Walkman even if they do upsampling to 32bit 176.4KHz/192KHz, will sound much better than all of the android smartphones out there. Especially if you take advantage of Sony DSEE Ultimate DSP which helps to improve the sound enjoyment, especially for lossy sources like Youtube or Spotify.

End of the day, it's your own perspective on the situation:

Debloating the android OS for better performance: NOT OK! THIS IS BLASPHEMY! SONY SHOULD HAVE OPTIMIZED THEIR SOFTWARE!

Flashing @MrWalkman Firmware to get better sound quality: SIGN ME UP

Both involve software modifcations and require use of computer to do the procedure.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #4,296 of 15,084
May 16, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #4,297 of 15,084
Well, amidst all this complaints about the Sony M2s, I am just glad to be able to enjoy it. It is heavenly with the FitEar DC Ti paired with the limited FitEar 009 Aqua cable that was specially picked by Suyama-san for the DC Ti. Bliss on a Monday morning. :)

Seems those who don’t have the m2s are the ones who have “issues” with it, but us who are actually have it enjoy it so much haha…

With regards to using android, the sony wm1am2 sounds better than daps that bypasses the android mixer, even those daps that claim bit perfect playback… at the end of the day, if they sound better, then who are we to argue with sony sound engineers? :)
Good thing i am no expert and just prefer excellent sound, whether android or not as long as it has streaming as half of my listening usage are on apple music and tidal.

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #4,298 of 15,084
Here's some positivity about the M2s being on Android.

Although I still think Walkman OS provides the better, focused music experience. I am really enjoying the creature comforts not found on the M1s

• Searchable music library
  • Connecting a bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard to use the player wirelessly
    • Useful when the Walkman is connected to a speaker setup as source
    • Less wear on the physical buttons!
    • Keyboard media keys work as expected, except for mute.
1652698570501.png

May 16, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #4,299 of 15,084
Was actually able to use it for netflix when my phone was low on battery and needed to kill the time… boy does it sound good hehe… I actually enjoy watching movie trailers on it on youtube

Its not just a music player now, it is also an extra gadget to tinker for someone like me who loves to use various gears

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #4,301 of 15,084
Here's some positivity about the M2s being on Android.

Although I still think Walkman OS provides the better, focused music experience. I am really enjoying the creature comforts not found on the M1s

• Searchable music library
  • Connecting a bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard to use the player wirelessly
    • Useful when the Walkman is connected to a speaker setup as source
    • Less wear on the physical buttons!
    • Keyboard media keys work as expected, except for mute.
1652698570501.png
I think this sony remote will be better, but hard to find. Anyone can advise how i can get this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-095336_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220512-095336_Chrome.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #4,302 of 15,084
Seems those who don’t have the m2s are the ones who have “issues” with it, but us who are actually have it enjoy it so much haha…

With regards to using android, the sony wm1am2 sounds better than daps that bypasses the android mixer, even those daps that claim bit perfect playback… at the end of the day, if they sound better, then who are we to argue with sony sound engineers? :)
Good thing i am no expert and just prefer excellent sound, whether android or not as long as it has streaming as half of my listening usage are on apple music and tidal.
I also find m2 sound better than those dap which claim bit perfect .. I guess thats sony sound signature that able to capture user's ear.

May 16, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #4,303 of 15,084
Defintely it's great with the M1s. I would say try eBay or go through yahoo auctions japan/ Rakuten if you use a proxy shipping service. It could be pricey depending on supply.

The Bluetooth mouse has certain advantages, in that it wakes up the screen, whereas with the Sony remote doesn't have that feature.

Just tested the remote commander and can confirm all functions work as you'd expect included FF and RW (bluetooth keyboard does too).

1652700382060.png

May 16, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #4,304 of 15,084
Defintely it's great with the M1s. I would say try eBay or go through yahoo auctions japan/ Rakuten if you use a proxy shipping service. It could be pricey depending on supply.

The Bluetooth mouse has certain advantages, in that it wakes up the screen, whereas with the Sony remote doesn't have that feature.

Just tested the remote commander and can confirm all functions work as you'd expect included FF and RW (bluetooth keyboard does too).

1652700382060.png
omg u got it ....

May 16, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #4,305 of 15,084
hey friends, i just bought a brand new wm1z but meanwhile i also highly enjoy my m17.

i was used to listening to music ONLY via my sd card. and i was used to buy a full album and listen to them.

however, with the fiio m17 i felt more and more comfortable to enjoy tidal hifi plus (master songs) streaming.

i am not sure if i should stick to my wm1z or give it back and buy a wm1zm2 instead.

i love the sony os on the wma1 / 1z. however, due to this forum and different sub-threads, i created a folder in tidal "head-fi" and created category-based playlists of those (master) songs i highly enjoy.

the cheapest way to enjoy the songs is via a tidal hifi plus abo. the other way would be to buy each song / album on qobuz as i did in the past.

i wouldn't even know how to get this playlist and songs onto my sd card as cheap as possible as i would do in the past: either i can buy each song or i have to buy the full album due to 1 song.

since 70% of the time i listen at home (20% at work, 10% during a walk), i might buy the TAZ and connect it to my laptop and stream via tidal? or i just connect the wm1z directly to my laptop and stream via tidal.

but i wouldn't have these issues when just buying the wm1zm2 i think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back