SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #4,261 of 15,518
I think you have to go case by case. I will actually write this in my review, even encouraging people to use that adbcontrol sw tool where you don't need to root anything and can debloat your Sony dap from Gmail, Maps, and other unnecessary stuff which should be optional. That sw tool is foolproof. That is all harmless and can speed up your user interface, I even measured it with AnTuTu benchmark to prove it. Of course, if you are doing something more hardcore, there is always a risk of bricking your device and if you don't know how to get it back, you are in trouble. The same if you root and overclock which causes overheating and premature aging of components. Also, I don't know if it could be determined that device was rooted and restored back by looking at datestamps of the files, etc. So, there is a possible risk and you have to be aware of it.
In fact I would STRONGLY encourage for ALL android phone users to debloat their phones too. All of them is just full of bloatware even for Sony Xperia phones. Do you need Facebook app preinstalled and spying on you and draining your battery and sapping at your phone performance? Well debloat!

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #4,262 of 15,518
@Sonywalkmanuser During USB DAC mode, is it possible to disable the battery recharging (eg power will be from PC’s usb instead of battery)?
Hence, extending battery life?
I tried finding this feature as well, besides the system level 'battery care' toggle under the Android settings.

Disabling charging whilst in USB DAC mode appears to be missing on the M2. Which is a big downgrade from the M1, activating USB DAC mode with an extra step (android system popup on top of tapping on the USB DAC button) is also another step backwards.

Hoping Sony brings it back in a future update.

Video latency via USB DAC mode is also similar to the original M1 at about half a second. Really looking forward to when Mr Walkman releases his update for that feature.

May 14, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #4,263 of 15,518
Video latency via USB DAC mode is also similar to the original M1 at about half a second. Really looking forward to when Mr Walkman releases his update for that feature.

Hopefully not too far away in the future.

It works great, I can now watch movies and experience any kind of real time media without any noticeable latency via the USB DAC mode of my WM1A.

May 14, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #4,266 of 15,518
I think N8ii and WM1ZM2 are going to share the top crown for Android DAPs, and let's see if DX320 will join them soon
Do you create ranking of Android daps? Curious to see how other daps perform

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #4,267 of 15,518
May 14, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #4,268 of 15,518
Do you create ranking of Android daps? Curious to see how other daps perform

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of ranking, or scoring, or top 10 lists. Besides being highly subjective and heavily dependent on pair up synergy (when it comes to DAPs), the more you review the more work it is to keep updating and re-evaluating everything on your list. It's a nightmare. I tried it in the past and gave up.

May 14, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #4,269 of 15,518
I think you have to go case by case. I will actually write this in my review, even encouraging people to use that adbcontrol sw tool where you don't need to root anything and can debloat your Sony dap from Gmail, Maps, and other unnecessary stuff which should be optional. That sw tool is foolproof. That is all harmless and can speed up your user interface, I even measured it with AnTuTu benchmark to prove it. Of course, if you are doing something more hardcore, there is always a risk of bricking your device and if you don't know how to get it back, you are in trouble. The same if you root and overclock which causes overheating and premature aging of components. Also, I don't know if it could be determined that device was rooted and restored back by looking at datestamps of the files, etc. So, there is a possible risk and you have to be aware of it.
The difference in Antutu is inside the margin of error and around 1-5%, nobody will ever notice that.

Also you can debloat without any tool at all. You can either deactivate/uninstall the app via the app icon itself or the system settings.

You do not need any 3rd party tools.

If an app can not be uninstalled, that's because Sony got payed to prevent it and you signed an agreement when setting up the device to not circumvent that.

I agree debloat your device, but deactivating apps that can't be uninstalled does have the exact same affect as uninstalling except for taking up an small amount of disk storage.

The Facebook app, for example, takes up 138mb... That's 2-3 Hi-Res Audio songs.

Deactivating an app that can not be uninstalled is the only safe way to handle that app and does have the exact same affect in battery drain and performance

May 14, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #4,270 of 15,518
The difference in Antutu is inside the margin of error and around 1-5%, nobody will ever notice that.

Also you can debloat without any tool at all. You can either deactivate/uninstall the app via the app icon itself or the system settings.

You do not need any 3rd party tools.

If an app can not be uninstalled, that's because Sony got payed to prevent it and you signed an agreement when setting up the device to not circumvent that.

I agree debloat your device, but deactivating apps that can't be uninstalled does have the exact same affect as uninstalling except for taking up an small amount of disk storage.

The Facebook app, for example, takes up 138mb... That's 2-3 Hi-Res Audio songs.

Deactivating an app that can not be uninstalled is the only safe way to handle that app and does have the exact same affect in battery drain and performance
It may seem to be insignificant from a benchmark numerical point of view from debloating the Walkman.

However in actual user experience of the Walkman usage, there is a very noticeable improvement to the speed of scrolling through songs and the loading speed of album arts. There is also slightly lesser time delay when you switch songs.

The same preinstalled apps cannot be uninstalled from the default user interface for Huawei, Samsung or LG phones as well.

The Walkman is completely devoid of spyware like Facebook, Amazon apps and 3rd party bundle games that you will see on typical android smartphone factory preinstalls.

The only bloatware apps on the Walkman are the atypical Google bundled apps that all Google playstore certified devices will have.

Also from my own experience and from words from others on the internet, disabling an app on the android does not prevent it from being activated by another subroutine in the system. You must uninstall the app in order to completely remove its usage or in my experience on the Walkman, gain much more noticeable improvements to responsiveness.

• Performance & battery: If you disable an app, it becomes invisible to the user – but the files are still there. Also, the package manager still knows it exists. Plus the app's "intents" are still available: if another apps directly calls them, the disabled app still responds to the call. It also seems to listen to some broadcasts it previously had registered listeners on (example: my LG Optimus 4X has those bloated LG stuff I've disabled. Nevertheless, after each boot I receive prompts from their "remote service" app to approve).
    That means, a disabled app can still be running in background, if called from some other place – and consume battery plus CPU, even bandwidth and other resources. A removed app obviously can't.
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...ng-an-app-any-different-from-disabling-an-app

May 15, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #4,272 of 15,518
My only issue with "debloating" by uninstalling apps and services is that it may interfere with system-level functions, including OTA updates. That's why I'm taking a very cautious approach with software-related changes, i.e., as @Vamp898 mentioned I am limiting myself to simply disabling the apps. As I don't have bat-like levels of hearing accuracy (and will never claim to do so), I really haven't heard significant changes to the sound. My primary reasons for disabling the apps are (a) to improve the UI and improve battery life (since these apps no longer run in the background) and (b) to reduce clutter in the home screen (only the Walkman apps appear in it).

Also looking forward to @MrWalkman releasing custom fw for the wm1am2/wm1zm2! What I really liked about his custom fw for the prior gen 1a/1z is that they were very easy to install and very stable (similar to how you'd update them using official Sony fw) and that there was a perceivable improvement to the sound (again, i don't have bat-like levels of hearing so take my feedback with a grain of salt, but I heard what I heard). But what really impressed me the most was the battery life improvement, which was pretty noticeable.

May 15, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #4,274 of 15,518
1C4A3406-82C8-4F3C-8278-403558C1BBF0.jpeg
126DA552-4FAC-4C31-A7B5-9DEB887AD6B8.jpeg

My simplified UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back