SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 6, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #992 of 2,453
#989 of 990
3 hours ago
Db19
Hi Dc,Amazon UK shipped my a35 today from France. Arriving tomorrow. Site still saying 1-2 months for new orders I think.

Nice.

Tempted to order one from another uk site.  Seems funny not ordering from amazon though.

1 review popped up on amazon saying it wasn't much better than his £50 phone.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #993 of 2,453
One question, If I'm going to get AK 100 II will it be the better investment compare to sony a30s(sound quality and power output and etc) And will it also better than the sony zx2? But I really wanna try sony's LDAC......

Feb 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #994 of 2,453
After much changing of minds, gone ahead and ordered one.  Should get it at work on wednesday.

I used mcmichaels.co.uk (sony centre in scotland) for the order if anyone else in the uk gets fed up waiting for amazon to get stock.  Free next day delivery if ordered before 10:00 am.

First mp3 player that isn't an ipod in quite some while!

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #996 of 2,453
I caved and ordered one (in red) on Sunday from Amazon Spain but despite having Amazon Prime the mail which stated the player was sent this morning also stated it would take a week to arrive... 
mad.gif

I haven't pre-ordered an audio device since my Sony NH1 in 2004.  The Asian version of the A35 apparently has a 30mW amp but I fully expect the European version to be crippled, so I'll need to continue using my Fiio amp as I do with my current A845.  As long as it's at least as powerful as the A845 I won't be too disappointed.

Apart from that I expect this to be a perfect music player - noise cancelling, great battery life, micro SD card slot, (hopefully) great sound quality.  I wish they'd left out the Bluetooth stuff and lowered the price though.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #998 of 2,453
What competition does this new a30/35 have? Like fiio x3 2nd or is it like ak70 good?

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #1,000 of 2,453
Would I just be wasting money on this device given that I own an iPhone 7 128Gb and an Xperia X Compact 32Gb + 200Gb microSD?

I also have decent headphones and earphones, bluetooth and wired. Everything in my signature is long gone, and I know I can't hear past 6khz.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,001 of 2,453
  My 2nd attempt at getting a working 200GB microSDXC card should be waiting for me when I get home from work.  Assuming it's not bad like the first, I will try it and report back.

So I thought the 2nd card was good passing a run with FakeFlashTest and performing as expected with some CDM benchmark runs.  Today I tried copying ~200GB to the drive to test the NW-A35 with and the file copy died with about 61GB of data written to the card.  Now I can't seem to write any more data to the card.  I keep getting a Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  After two bad Lexar 200GB cards in a row I won't be trying a 3rd.  Maybe I will just get a 256GB Samsung Evo+, or sit tight with a 128GB until prices drop.

I bought these cards from B&H Photo (highly reputable), not some fly by night eBay seller, so they shouldn't be fake/counterfeit.  I guess I should have taken the hint from Lexar's 1 year warranty vs. Samsung or Sandisk with 10 years on similar cards.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,002 of 2,453

So I thought the 2nd card was good passing a run with FakeFlashTest and performing as expected with some CDM benchmark runs.  Today I tried copying ~200GB to the drive to test the NW-A35 with and the file copy died with about 61GB of data written to the card.  Now I can't seem to write any more data to the card.  I keep getting a Error 0x8007045D: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.  After two bad Lexar 200GB cards in a row I won't be trying a 3rd.  Maybe I will just get a 256GB Samsung Evo+, or sit tight with a 128GB until prices drop.

I bought these cards from B&H Photo (highly reputable), not some fly by night eBay seller, so they shouldn't be fake/counterfeit.  I guess I should have taken the hint from Lexar's 1 year warranty vs. Samsung or Sandisk with 10 years on similar cards.

Hmm wondering if it's Lexar related or 200 gig related. 

Did a quick google on the issue and got this back :-

Before using a microSD card (not supplied) in your Walkman for the first time, be sure to format the microSD card using the Walkman by following the steps below. Formatting a microSD card will delete all data stored on the microSD card, so be careful not to delete important data.

• From the Home menu, select
    AS0000076578_LN0000000002
    [SD Card Settings].
  • Select [Format SD Card] - [Yes]. All data stored on the microSD card is deleted.

Note

Be sure to format the microSD card using your Walkman when you use it on the Walkman for the first time"

Bit of a shame if that is the issue.  Does any of your other cards work ok?

Edit to add :-

I knew I'd seen similar issues over on the w1ma/z thread's.  Headfier Crafty Clown found this program "https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html"  which seemed to help him.  For what it's worth below is his original post :-
It seems like the new Sony WM devices are very fussy when it comes to the formatting of cards.

"Three of my cards; 1 x 128gig card and 2 x 200gig cards would not work, whatever way I tried formatting them on several different Windows 10 machines.

I did a bit of research and came across some software from the SD association, who advice using a dedicated formatting tool for SD cards rather than OS formatting.

Long story short I downloaded the software, used it on all three cards and they all now work perfectly.

Here's a link if anyone else is struggling with an SD card that can't be recognised

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.htm"

No guarantees but that might be worth a shot.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #1,003 of 2,453

For 200GB and 256GB I would stick with Sandisk and Samsung respectively as they are the most widely tested and used.  Lexar and Patriot are offering 200 GB cards but since they don't have the track record of Sandisk or Samsung I would stick with these two for now.  

The Lexar pro series 633x cards are suppose to come with a lifetime limited warranty on the card and one year limited warranty on the adapter or card reader.  I would try contacting Lexar and see what they have to say and hopefully either get your money back or a replacement card.  If Lexar offers a replacement card then you will know for sure it is legitmate.  I wouldn't spend more money on another card without first trying to get restitution from Lexar.

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #1,004 of 2,453

Before using a microSD card (not supplied) in your Walkman for the first time, be sure to format the microSD card using the Walkman by following the steps below. Formatting a microSD card will delete all data stored on the microSD card, so be careful not to delete important data.

[SD Card Settings].
  • Select [Format SD Card] - [Yes]. All data stored on the microSD card is deleted.

Note

Be sure to format the microSD card using your Walkman when you use it on the Walkman for the first time"

I knew I'd seen similar issues over on the w1ma/z thread's.  Headfier Crafty Clown found this program "https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html"  which seemed to help him.  For what it's worth below is his original post :-
It seems like the new Sony WM devices are very fussy when it comes to the formatting of cards.

"Three of my cards; 1 x 128gig card and 2 x 200gig cards would not work, whatever way I tried formatting them on several different Windows 10 machines.

I did a bit of research and came across some software from the SD association, who advice using a dedicated formatting tool for SD cards rather than OS formatting.

Long story short I downloaded the software, used it on all three cards and they all now work perfectly.

Here's a link if anyone else is struggling with an SD card that can't be recognised

I was using the card in a USB 3.0 reader, not in the Sony.  However, I tried formatting it with the SD Association tool and now I'm able to write data to it again.  I hadn't tried formatting it earlier today though I had formatted it using the Windows 10 formatter since getting it.  I'm again trying to copy a huge chunk of data to the card now and will report back the results.

For 200GB and 256GB I would stick with Sandisk and Samsung respectively as they are the most widely tested and used.  Lexar and Patriot are offering 200 GB cards but since they don't have the track record of Sandisk or Samsung I would stick with these two for now.  

The Lexar pro series 633x cards are suppose to come with a lifetime limited warranty on the card and one year limited warranty on the adapter or card reader.  I would try contacting Lexar and see what they have to say and hopefully either get your money back or a replacement card.  If Lexar offers a replacement card then you will know for sure it is legitmate.  I wouldn't spend more money on another card without first trying to get restitution from Lexar.

Presuming the data copy fails again the card is going back to B&H since they'll cover the return shipping and I've only had it a few days.  Dealing with Lexar means I will have to pay to ship it.  You appear to be correct on the warranty though.  Lifetime, the reader has the 1 year warranty.  I was going off the warranty information listed on the B&H product page.

Edit: Happened again.  This time slightly sooner at 60.4GB into the copy.

Feb 7, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,005 of 2,453

[SD Card Settings].

Note

I was using the card in a USB 3.0 reader, not in the Sony.  However, I tried formatting it with the SD Association tool and now I'm able to write data to it again.  I hadn't tried formatting it earlier today though I had formatted it using the Windows 10 formatter since getting it.  I'm again trying to copy a huge chunk of data to the card now and will report back the results.

Presuming the data copy fails again the card is going back to B&H since they'll cover the return shipping and I've only had it a few days.  Dealing with Lexar means I will have to pay to ship it.  You appear to be correct on the warranty though.  Lifetime, the reader has the 1 year warranty.  I was going off the warranty information listed on the B&H product page.

Edit: Happened again.  This time slightly sooner at 60.4GB into the copy.

Same issues with a Kingstons, two sd cards died, one with vacation photos pfffff, never bought Kingston again and stick with sandDisk or sammy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back