SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #2,251 of 2,453
I'm kind of with you on that -- although I suppose one could argue that nowadays, people's phones are much larger than the A35, so if you wanted to have a smaller setup and still insisted on using an external DAC/amp (maybe for some with a Mojo, for instance), the A35 would be less to cart around than the phone.

But in my case, I really prefer to use the A35 as a standalone device without needing to tether other things to it other than the headphone (and sometimes, I might even use BT at that.)

I'm undecided at the mo, I'm choosing between the a45, cayin n3 or fiio x1 2nd gen. My old fiio x1 stopped working after many years use, I liked it a lot with the e17k, on its own the bass was just too weak for me. I like the look of the Sony, reviews are all good, but the lack of true line out (without a lod cable which seems impossible now to find) is really putting me off. The N3 seems nice, but the capacitive buttons seem really awful. The x1 ii seems very nice, poor UI at the mo, but fiio always poor on UI, but tend to try at least to address it with firmware updates. It also has the benefit of being around half the price of the others....

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #2,252 of 2,453
I'm undecided at the mo, I'm choosing between the a45, cayin n3 or fiio x1 2nd gen. My old fiio x1 stopped working after many years use, I liked it a lot with the e17k, on its own the bass was just too weak for me. I like the look of the Sony, reviews are all good, but the lack of true line out (without a lod cable which seems impossible now to find) is really putting me off. The N3 seems nice, but the capacitive buttons seem really awful. The x1 ii seems very nice, poor UI at the mo, but fiio always poor on UI, but tend to try at least to address it with firmware updates. It also has the benefit of being around half the price of the others....

I have the FiiO X1 1st gen, mine is still working, and it got better and better with the later firmware versions (as I'm sure you know), but it still isn't as slick as the A35 (or A45), but it does put out more power than the A35, although since you tend to use an external amp anyway I'm not sure that is a concern for you so much.

I was wary of the X1 II but I quite following it after I read on the thread here of the many firmware issues -- don't know if they finally resolved most of those. The A35 "just works" which I really like. I hadn't had a DAP since my iPod Classic that was as easy to use / reliable. Well, really, I still miss my iPod Classic, frankly, I'm not big on touch screens, but the A35 is second best to iPod Classic for me in terms of ease of use.

Don't know anything about the N3, unfortunately, only read a little about it here on the forums.

Have you considered maybe a used X3 2nd gen? I seem them on Head-Fi for-sale here sometimes for quite cheap (a little over $100).

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #2,253 of 2,453
I have the FiiO X1 1st gen, mine is still working, and it got better and better with the later firmware versions (as I'm sure you know), but it still isn't as slick as the A35 (or A45), but it does put out more power than the A35, although since you tend to use an external amp anyway I'm not sure that is a concern for you so much.

I was wary of the X1 II but I quite following it after I read on the thread here of the many firmware issues -- don't know if they finally resolved most of those. The A35 "just works" which I really like. I hadn't had a DAP since my iPod Classic that was as easy to use / reliable. Well, really, I still miss my iPod Classic, frankly, I'm not big on touch screens, but the A35 is second best to iPod Classic for me in terms of ease of use.

Don't know anything about the N3, unfortunately, only read a little about it here on the forums.

Have you considered maybe a used X3 2nd gen? I seem them on Head-Fi for-sale here sometimes for quite cheap (a little over $100).

I agree the x1 did get better as the firmware progressed, I'm hoping that's what will happen with the gen 2, the sound seems solid, a lot of the issues seem resolved now I think, just slightly sluggish - although not everyone is reporting that. Others have issues with Bluetooth, others not. Fiio have never really had a turkey of a device as far as I know, I'd hope they don't start now. Thanks yeah I'll think about used, the X3 gen 3 seems to be suffering the same fate as the x1 gen 2, a design overall that's not so popular, soundwise it's solid. I must admit I did like the original designs, the old x1 just felt simple and solid

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,254 of 2,453
When double amping i usually keep the source volume (A35) at around 100 and adjust the volume on the amp to my liking.

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,255 of 2,453
Looks great, can you tell me where you got the LOD cable? Been told by Sony themselves there is no such cable, though obviously there is. Can't seem to find it anywhere! Thanks

It was/is off the shelf at Yodobashii (or was it BicCamera?) in Tokyo. IIRC I also saw it in the Wanchai, HKG computer center

Having said that, I'v found SonyWM-->microUSB cables, that feed directly into the Fiio Q1 mkII

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #2,256 of 2,453
Then why use the Sony and not just get a cheap transport if your bypassing the Sony altogether?

Several resons. I got into the whole DAC/AMP craziness after I got the Sony (and now also the Pioneer) :)

Also, because I use the DAC/AMP at home with my large and very good headphones (well, very good for me, nothing top-of-the-line), but working out, travelling, etc it's the barebone DAP with a Sony 1000 or even etymotic IEM, I don't lug around the whole setup.

But you have a very valid point here, I was also pondering that.

PS - and don't forget the UI, the hires capability (incl DSD), etc - even without using the internal Sony DAC, this is a nice piece of work

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #2,258 of 2,453
Thanks for that, do you find there is no added distortion doing that rather than using line out? If not then it may well move the a45 back to the top of my list! Cheers
I do not have the required cable for line out and therefore haven't been able to try that.

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #2,260 of 2,453
Feb 23, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,261 of 2,453
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-Out-L...-WM-Prot-To-Headphone-Amplifier-/253323263857 :point_left:
They are so expensive because they are almost handmade or in small batches.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #2,264 of 2,453
Did I imagine fiio bringing out a new sony lod cable?

Seems its digital out to micro usb and still out of stock!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #2,265 of 2,453
Did I imagine fiio bringing out a new sony lod cable?

Seems its digital out to micro usb and still out of stock!
I asked them recently about the L5 cable, which was perfect - they just said discontinued. It's odd, a soby wmport cable is in demand, and noone sells them apart from a few in Hong Kong, and to be honest as they are home made evforts, I'm not sure I want to spend nearly £30 on something that I can't be sure will even work, and wait weeks to find out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back