SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Nov 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,071 of 2,453
Is it just me or the Bluetooth output of the A35 is absolute trash ?

Im getting much better audio quality from my Lenovo Zuk 2 Plus and my nvidia K1 tablet.

And the nvidia K1 tablet Headphone out is horrible, but it just beats the A35 silly when it comes to bluetooth quality.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #2,072 of 2,453
Is it just me or the Bluetooth output of the A35 is absolute trash ?

Im getting much better audio quality from my Lenovo Zuk 2 Plus and my nvidia K1 tablet.

And the nvidia K1 tablet Headphone out is horrible, but it just beats the A35 silly when it comes to bluetooth quality.

Maybe because you're using an aptx headphone and the A35 doesn't have aptx?
I use MDR-1ABT which supports LDAC, and it sounds great.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,073 of 2,453
Maybe because you're using an aptx headphone and the A35 doesn't have aptx?
I use MDR-1ABT which supports LDAC, and it sounds great.

I'm still holding out hope that Sony will release a firmware update to add aptX to the NW-35, which I just bought, in spite of the lack of aptX support... I sent Sony eSupport a request for this feature and while their response was that it wasn't available, they also strangely gave me the link to the firmware updates for the NW-35 and told me to please "stay tuned" :

Based on the information you have provided, we understand that you would like to know whether the AptX feature add to Sony Walkman (Model # NW-A35) through firmware update.

We really apologize that there is no update available to enable the AptX feature on your Walkman. However, please stay tuned into our Sony official website for "Firmware/ software" update.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NWA35&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download

Notwithstanding, I also ordered the MDR-1000X which was on sale today for $228 at Best Buy, so I can use LDAC in case aptX support isn't forthcoming, and well, because I want to experience LDAC anyway. :)

They barely released a firmware update (2.0) for the NW-WM1A on 2017-11-09 adding aptX and aptX HD support to that player (granted, it is a much more expensive product and may thus naturally merit more updates released for it), so it made me think they may just do a similar update for the NW-30 series players, if for no other reason than maybe they agreed to do that to get Google to support LDAC? (Pure speculation...)

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #2,075 of 2,453
Sorted.

IMG_20171125_110825[1].jpg

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #2,076 of 2,453
So if you like a neutral sound and you knew that all Sony audio products tend to be bass heavy/warm, why did you buy this DAP? Not trying to be antagonistic, I'm just confused.

Isn't It obvious? I have already kind of said it. "Yes I was a bit aggressive because almobst nobody had critisized just a tiny bit amount of the device's sound signature and I trusted about 100 pages of head-fi comments. I got quite raged when I found out the device had strong sound signature compared to modern flagships and entry level soundcards."
I actually knew Sony is doing the same setup on their smartphones and headhpones, but I expected that they won't do it in their source level products. And this product's main purpose is auido playback. I thought It's aimed at serious listening community like NW-WM1A. (PMR reviews ( https://pmrreviews.com/?p=1193) had already done the measurements for that device and the head-fi feedback was superb and detailed about It's sound signature.) And to check my expectations I read Head-Fi reviews and comments available at that time. And the funny thing is If you pair this DAP with MDR 1000X (with cable) or MDR1A you will get very bassy and obviously bright sounding combo, which is even more ridiculous.

Exactly. If a product from certain brand doesn't cater to my needs, I wouldn't buy it and then dedicate my time dissing it on its own thread unless I have an ulterior motive.

My posts have helped 2 actual people on this forum and they thanked me for writing my detailed unbaised findings on that device. I have already said "Dude, that's your opinion and your usage style. And I respect that. But my opinions are 100% from my actual personal usage of the device.", and look at your wording.

With your logic,
1) If a brand is bad, every product of them will be bad and has the same problem or exactly same tuning on all the product line-up they are offering. And making a research about It on the internet and buying the product according to my findings is not normal.
2) And If a product has It's OWN thread, It's only for people who like it and praise that product. Also It 's not normal to talk about negative or not so good side at It's OWN forum and It's not normal for somebody to want some bugs he/she has found to be fixed.

Please read the rules of the forum, and don't indicate I have ulterior motive according to your nonsense logic. And please don't take other's time with your allusion to me. It doesn't help.

And please, Respect<=>Respect.
edit:grammar

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2,077 of 2,453
I'm still holding out hope that Sony will release a firmware update to add aptX to the NW-35, which I just bought, in spite of the lack of aptX support... I sent Sony eSupport a request for this feature and while their response was that it wasn't available, they also strangely gave me the link to the firmware updates for the NW-35 and told me to please "stay tuned" :

Based on the information you have provided, we understand that you would like to know whether the AptX feature add to Sony Walkman (Model # NW-A35) through firmware update.

We really apologize that there is no update available to enable the AptX feature on your Walkman. However, please stay tuned into our Sony official website for "Firmware/ software" update.

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NWA35&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download

Notwithstanding, I also ordered the MDR-1000X which was on sale today for $228 at Best Buy, so I can use LDAC in case aptX support isn't forthcoming, and well, because I want to experience LDAC anyway. :)

They barely released a firmware update (2.0) for the NW-WM1A on 2017-11-09 adding aptX and aptX HD support to that player (granted, it is a much more expensive product and may thus naturally merit more updates released for it), so it made me think they may just do a similar update for the NW-30 series players, if for no other reason than maybe they agreed to do that to get Google to support LDAC? (Pure speculation...)

In order to provide AptX support the A35 would have to have the Qualcomm bluetooth chip. If Sony bothered to put the chip into the A35 then they would have provided AptX support otherwise it would be dumb to include the chip. You can't add the feature with a firmware update if the chip is not installed.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,078 of 2,453
In order to provide AptX support the A35 would have to have the Qualcomm bluetooth chip. If Sony bothered to put the chip into the A35 then they would have provided AptX support otherwise it would be dumb to include the chip. You can't add the feature with a firmware update if the chip is not installed.

It's not "adding" the feature so much as enabling it. That's exactly what Sony, in fact, did with firmware 2.0 for the flagship NW-WM1A/Z just a couple of weeks ago, which is over a year after the WM1A was released:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=NWWM1A&upd_id=11333&os_group_id=3

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 7.53.39 AM.png

Edit: in fact, if you go check out the official Sony product page for the NW-A40, it boasts about the AptX HD (since it has been enabled since day 1), but there is no mention of AptX of any stripe in the product pages for either the NW-WM1Z or NW-WM1A, despite that firmware 2.0 has added support for both, but apparently they haven't updated the marketing material yet and they only mention LDAC for the WM1 models.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,079 of 2,453
It's not "adding" the feature so much as enabling it. That's exactly what Sony, in fact, did with firmware 2.0 for the flagship NW-WM1A/Z just a couple of weeks ago, which is over a year after the WM1A was released:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=NWWM1A&upd_id=11333&os_group_id=3

Edit: in fact, if you go check out the official Sony product page for the NW-A40, it boasts about the AptX HD (since it has been enabled since day 1), but there is no mention of AptX of any stripe in the product pages for either the NW-WM1Z or NW-WM1A, despite that firmware 2.0 has added support for both, but apparently they haven't updated the marketing material yet and they only mention LDAC for the WM1 models.

So why did they not enable it on the A30 series as well at the same time as the WM series? The A series follows a yearly product cycle whereas the ZX and WM series don't at least so far. Look how long the gap was between the ZX100 and ZX300 releases and no word on a 2018 updated WM model. My guess is Sony chose to include and activate AptX support on the WM series now to keep from losing sales to new high end models from other manufacturers being released. My guess is we won't be seeing an updated WM model for awhile if at all and activating AptX support on the WM offers a bit of a refresh in the interim to keep up demand. As for not mentioning AptX support for the WM models Sony opened up licensing of the LDAC code to outside manufacturers last year. I am willing to bet Sony hoped LDAC would be more widely adopted by now. Since it hasn't Sony hedged their bets and activated it on the WM series now to keep up sales. If Sony had mentioned the AptX support would be activated in a later firmware update in the product info owners may have delayed buying it until AptX was activated. Activating AptX now with no prior mention makes it look like a surprise bonus at a time when new DAP's from other manufacturers are hitting the market. Sony also avoided being hounded by potential owners of the WM series wanting AptX to be activated before they were ready to.

Why include AptX support on the A30 series and then wait until the A40 series is released to activate it? If Sony could activate AptX on the A30 series by now they would have done it before the A40 series was released. Sony wants the A30 series cleared out of the market to make way for the A40 series and won't do anything to prolong the A30 series lifecycle by activating AptX now.

Nov 25, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #2,081 of 2,453
So why did they not enable it on the A30 series as well at the same time as the WM series? The A series follows a yearly product cycle whereas the ZX and WM series don't at least so far. Look how long the gap was between the ZX100 and ZX300 releases and no word on a 2018 updated WM model. My guess is Sony chose to include and activate AptX support on the WM series now to keep from losing sales to new high end models from other manufacturers being released. My guess is we won't be seeing an updated WM model for awhile if at all and activating AptX support on the WM offers a bit of a refresh in the interim to keep up demand. As for not mentioning AptX support for the WM models Sony opened up licensing of the LDAC code to outside manufacturers last year. I am willing to bet Sony hoped LDAC would be more widely adopted by now. Since it hasn't Sony hedged their bets and activated it on the WM series now to keep up sales. If Sony had mentioned the AptX support would be activated in a later firmware update in the product info owners may have delayed buying it until AptX was activated. Activating AptX now with no prior mention makes it look like a surprise bonus at a time when new DAP's from other manufacturers are hitting the market. Sony also avoided being hounded by potential owners of the WM series wanting AptX to be activated before they were ready to.

Why include AptX support on the A30 series and then wait until the A40 series is released to activate it? If Sony could activate AptX on the A30 series by now they would have done it before the A40 series was released. Sony wants the A30 series cleared out of the market to make way for the A40 series and won't do anything to prolong the A30 series lifecycle by activating AptX now.

Well, it's obviously a matter of speculation. :) Your points are well reasoned, but it's based on speculation. The truth is, only some people at Sony know why they took so long to enable AptX (and AptX HD) on the WM1Z/A, and I think your guess is a pretty good one...

...but it could also be that we don't know about some deal Sony made (formally or perhaps informally) to enable AptX on any current players that have the chip, and the A30 series, in the US, is still a current version.

It is strange that the A10, A20, and now the A40 have AptX, and yet the WM1 did not, and the A30 series still does not, given that the WM1 and A30 came out in the same year -- it makes me think that given their history supporting AptX (and so obviously having the chip) and the WM1 getting AptX later, and thus proving it at least had the Qualcomm chip all along, that it's highly likely that the A30 series has the chip, too -- but I'll agree that it's unknown as to whether Sony thinks its necessary to enable it or hope it drives up sales of the A40, but I tend to doubt the latter, myself.

It's not like the A40 series is even readily available in the US, either. I did a search for it and found only a few places to even purchase it, and I'm not even convinced that any of those selling are US versions.

B&H still lists it as "pre-order." Accessory Jack is selling the Asia Pacific version.

And Sony itself, when you click on "Where to Buy" from the official product page, returns this sad, sad message -- granted they kind of stink at listing online retailers with stock, but my own independent search yielded nothing from major retailers, including those who still carry the A30 series (and sometimes even the A20 series):

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-a40-series/buy

EDIT: if they decided to enable it across the line (which would just leave the A30 series out currently), it's no surprise to me that they would first do it for the WM1, since that's a flagship, so that would explain to me why they haven't released it for the A30 at the same time.

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 4.43.50 PM.png

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,082 of 2,453
Finally got my 99 euro A35 from Amazon.de... My first Walkman since the CD players back in the day. No idea about the sound as the wired IEMs I ordered haven´t arrived yet (moved to wireless only for a while, but came back due to missing the fidelity), but the build quality is pretty nice and I´m a big fan of the minimalistic and quite fast OS. First thing I did was remove the EU volume cap to get full power - really happy this is possible or otherwise I´d probably order from the US or Asia... I´ll post some sound impressions as soon as my IEMs start arriving next week.

By the way does anyone know what the output impedance is? Just wondering.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #2,083 of 2,453
Finally got my 99 euro A35 from Amazon.de... My first Walkman since the CD players back in the day. No idea about the sound as the wired IEMs I ordered haven´t arrived yet (moved to wireless only for a while, but came back due to missing the fidelity), but the build quality is pretty nice and I´m a big fan of the minimalistic and quite fast OS. First thing I did was remove the EU volume cap to get full power - really happy this is possible or otherwise I´d probably order from the US or Asia... I´ll post some sound impressions as soon as my IEMs start arriving next week.

It seems Sony does not specify that for their gear generally. I couldn't find anything for it or the A20 or A40 series.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,084 of 2,453
I remember vaguely that saw measurements somewhere and it was something in the 1 - 2 ohm range, which is fine for most stuff unless you have a very low impedance multi-BA ciem or something.

I've been burning my a35 in as sony themselves recommend 100 hours or so burn-in for the POSCAP capacitors, so the sound quality can be at its best. For now I keep my first impressions that it's a nice compact device with good design and battery life, and I really appreciate the hardware audio controls on the side, and it's a Walkman, so the nostalgia factor comes into play.

As far as sound goes, it's a bit better than most smartphones but can't compete with any of the good audiophile DAPs in this price range - I'm pretty sure that even the new xduoo nano that I ordered for much less will smoke it, but Sony is Sony, so you pay for the brand and the nice looking touchscreen, etc., so the price obviously can't be as competitive as of the more popular Chinese DAPs. It just lacks the power, dynamic range, soundstage size and details that the proper DAC and amp section provide.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #2,085 of 2,453
I've been burning my a35 in as sony themselves recommend 100 hours or so burn-in for the POSCAP capacitors

Good to know; found some old Apple earbuds and started burning in mine too... Should now be ready when my first IEMs arrive. As for sound quality I have no idea what to expect really. I haven´t owned a DAP (and before that mostly just iPods) in 5+ years so if it beats my iPhone I´m already glad. These current production DAPs with high end DAC/amp parts seem quite promising though, might just try one later on if I´m happy with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back