SONY NW-A30 SERIES
Oct 4, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #151 of 2,453
So, 16GB body-only is just $220?!!
Well, that's quite reasonable!

I hope in the US they don't do like they did with the A10 series and only officially sell the most expensive A17 model.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #152 of 2,453
I don't think they will bring this model now into the US. There is already a low costing walkman available in some stores. They bring it next year or a newer model by then, but I could be wrong.
Also I wouldn't worry about the Japan model if its in the native language. I have one of the gumstick models that is in Japan language and within couple of months I could navigate to what I wanted. Considering this will be touchscreen and with icons, navigating it within a couple mins shouldn't be a problem.

I hope in the US they don't do like they did with the A10 series and only officially sell the most expensive A17 model.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #153 of 2,453
What are the downsides of the DSD files being converted to PCM for playback?

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #155 of 2,453
its not real dsd. The sound doesnt sound like the velvety soft dsd sound with sweet treble because its not rendered in the native format.

Does this happen when you convert the DSD file itself to PCM(wav) or is it only when the device is converting during playback?

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #156 of 2,453
its not real dsd. The sound doesnt sound like the velvety soft dsd sound with sweet treble because its not rendered in the native format.

Coverting DSD to PCM prior to analogue conversion had no effect whatsoever on the sound quality. Native DSD does not sound any better than PCM. They are just different encoding formats, and they sound identical IMO. The 'treble' of DSD sounds identical to PCM.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #158 of 2,453
DSD is sort of pointless because only about 15% of DSD recordings were originally mastered in DSD.

I don't see how unscrupulous marketing renders a format pointless. Not that I could ever tell the difference, or would be willing to wait for a week while my shiny new 3GB album downloads :blink:

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #159 of 2,453
Seeing as you can buy the body only, and also in black, I'll be rethinking whether or not to buy this. It still doesn't look very 'grown-up' and doesn't seem like the sq will be on par with zx100, but the pricing point without headphones is reasonable enough.

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #160 of 2,453
Considering it's properties, I believe A35 might be a seriously beautiful offer with $220 price tag depending on what it offers over the sound quality of an A25.

My subjective main reasons to choose an A35 over a Chinese dap may be : 

- Sony equalizer, sound enhancements.
- Better, more trustworthy UI, and Sony build quality
- Much longer battery life
- 2 x 35 mW power within a 98gr of a tiny body

I don't care about DSD (especially when it is also converted to PCM).

I am not sure there is another player that offers the more or less similar specs in a similar package other than Sony A30 series and Hifiman's new SuperMini / MegaMini duo.

Just wondering which S-Master HX iteration used in A30 series. (In case you may not have heard, it was officially stated that the new WM1 series have a newer S-Master HX version compared to the ones in the ZX series. And it was said that the new iteration of S-Master HX would provide much better signal to noise ratio).

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #161 of 2,453
I am holding a review unit of the A36HN right now, but reading through all the posts on this thread, I'm afraid I will not be able to scrutinize the player to such intrinsic details. Compared to the A15, the A36 delivers more transparent highs, improved low bass, while the high-bass towards the mids are less muddy. Overall sound staging is also slightly expanded. Based on what I wrote on my blog during my review of ZX100 a few months back, the A36HN appears to have similar audio character except the more pronounced sound staging.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #162 of 2,453
  I am holding a review unit of the A36HN right now, but reading through all the posts on this thread, I'm afraid I will not be able to scrutinize the player to such intrinsic details. Compared to the A15, the A36 delivers more transparent highs, improved low bass, while the high-bass towards the mids are less muddy. Overall sound staging is also slightly expanded. Based on what I wrote on my blog during my review of ZX100 a few months back, the A36HN appears to have similar audio character except the more pronounced sound staging.

That sounds very good can you let us know when your review is up

Oct 9, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #163 of 2,453
Yep still interested in this player, so any reviews are welcome.  Be interested in gapless as well please.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #164 of 2,453
Sounds good so far! What I'd like to know is if it has some more power real than before with this new 35mw rating. The 10mw per of the A15 I had was little improvement over my S639(neither was vol. capped) and if the stated six band EQ is an actual six band like we had with some Sony MD and CD players or still just the 5 band with Clear Bass counted as the sixth band which it is not really but just 3 step bass boost. Oh and if the radio can be paused(play/pause mutes) which I liked from the S639 but the A15 lost. I'm thinking it will have a touch screen mute icon like my Cowon has but play/pause button is so pocket friendly to mute the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back