New Sony IEMs: EX500 and EX300
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #31 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EX700s are actually $200 street price here in the US. The sound is comparable to the SE530s. The EX700s totally trounce on the Klipsch line along with SA6s and the sibilance is truly not as bad as folks have made it to be. Price and quality, at $200, there's only one other pair comparable, the Atrio m5s but the m5s are noticeably darker sounding. At the end of the day, you just have to decide between the darker sound of the m5 or the brighter sound of the EX700s. The sibilance is a good trade off compared to SA6's anemic bass and lack of a true soundstage. So, make what you will.

yeah...um...the sound is not comparable to the se530's or the 420's or the scl4's (e4's) for that matter. Very harsh treble. Less "controlled" sound that the shures (if that makes any sense)

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #32 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah...um...the sound is not comparable to the se530's or the 420's or the scl4's (e4's) for that matter. Very harsh treble. Less "controlled" sound that the shures (if that makes any sense)

I just got my EX700LP today an I have one pair of well burned in SE530 and SE420 that still need burned in. I don't think EX700 are less controled than SE530. I found them to have a bit more seperation than SE530 and the high is less pronounced. The treble of EX700 is still harsh but I have only burned tem for less 20 hours and it should be calmed down a bit after that.

BTW, I used to have E4C and don't like them at all, I was using stock rubber tips and those tips really kill treble, making E4C good for nothing. I felt SE530 had terrible treble when I first got them, but changing to black foamies makes HUGE difference and I use my SE530 daily now
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #33 of 81
Got these this morning and while they are not earth-shatteringly great they are the best buds I've had so far in terms of fit, noise isolation and sound quality. They are number one on the Japanese review site kakaku.com (even if you can't read Japanese you can search maker and model and get a review graph and popularity rating that are pretty informative) at the moment, which means they are best sellers and have overall positive reviews, though quite a lot of people are saying that the 300EXs are a better buy. Sony seemed to be getting the message and the price is going down from around 9000 to 7000+ yen.

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #34 of 81
akasan

i have both ex700 and se420... se420 is more on analytical side, flattest among shures, while ex700 is more of fun... se420 can never attain the soundstage of ex700.. ex700 is also better @ bass extension and inst. separation even considering that 420 do have dual armature... Very harsh treble? ohhh cmon... nobody complained about e4rp's treble which is very harsh in my ear... if you're used with se-530's sound sig, no wonder why you consider ex700 harsh..

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #35 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
akasan
... Very harsh treble? ohhh cmon... nobody complained about e4rp's treble which is very harsh in my ear... if you're used with se-530's sound sig, no wonder why you consider ex700 harsh..

There is a major difference b/w the kind of treble found on EX700 vs ER4P. ER4P's treble extends very further up (16~18kHz) and consequently people who never used to upper treble can feel fatigue very fast, or simply feeling irritating. What EX700 has, is a +10dB bump on the 6~8kHz region, resulting in sibilant on the upper vocal section. The thing is, many adult have difficulty listen to anything beyond 16kHz but no problem on vocal section, thus EX700 sounds harsh and ER4P doesn't. Hearing deterioration from aging actually helps here.

Apr 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #36 of 81
Hi there,

with a quick question: are these new earphones using the same ear tip size as the MDR-EX90?, which BTW use the standard ear tip size for all Sony in-ear headphones.

I'm about to order a set of the EX500 and are also considering if the double flange ear tips might improve the sealing a little bit.

Hope you can answer my question.

Cheers!

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #37 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by gendo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

with a quick question: are these new earphones using the same ear tip size as the MDR-EX90?, which BTW use the standard ear tip size for all Sony in-ear headphones.

I'm about to order a set of the EX500 and are also considering if the double flange ear tips might improve the sealing a little bit.

Hope you can answer my question.

Cheers!

The tips on my EX500's are different to the normal sony style.

Got these to replace my EX90's which broke and they are pretty good, although compared to the modded EX90's i'm still not entirely sure, they definately lack as much bass as the EX90's, although have enough punch, just not the thump i'm used to.

The treble is overly harsh, and I can't seem to shift it other than by knocking the treble down at 6.3kHz (According to A829).

The Detail of these cans is pretty immense, and the detail is amazing, and probably slightly higher than the EX90's, but i'm still leaning towards the modded EX90's over these at the minute.

May 21, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #38 of 81
So now, can anyone tell me EX500's sounds signature? I still can not find some guide of it.
frown.gif

May 21, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #39 of 81
ive commented on them a couple of times, i dont love them.

they are so warm, very very very warm. so warm they just want to send me off drifting to sleep.

last itme i described them as being the IEM equivalent of a warm bath and scented candles.

bass is smooth and warm, a bit soft but there in abundance if u like that. mids are alright but just so warm and soft, no real sharpness or clarity but not bad. highs all just so softened and warmed no crispness at all. the highs are technically there but its the only thing ive ever descried the highs as warm and soft on. they arent bad but the sound sig just didnt work for me and seeing as the price of them seems to have gone up i think you can get better value elsewhere.

oh and i utterly hate the cable on it

if you want warm and soft youll love it, it would be perfect for a bed time IEM i feel

May 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #40 of 81
thank you very much mark2410, that was a good suggestion for me not to get one.

I feel like it's totally opposite to EX90, so weird Sony, why can't they produce one that quite balanced?

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #42 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive commented on them a couple of times, i dont love them.

they are so warm, very very very warm. so warm they just want to send me off drifting to sleep.

last itme i described them as being the IEM equivalent of a warm bath and scented candles.

bass is smooth and warm, a bit soft but there in abundance if u like that. mids are alright but just so warm and soft, no real sharpness or clarity but not bad. highs all just so softened and warmed no crispness at all. the highs are technically there but its the only thing ive ever descried the highs as warm and soft on. they arent bad but the sound sig just didnt work for me and seeing as the price of them seems to have gone up i think you can get better value elsewhere.

oh and i utterly hate the cable on it

if you want warm and soft youll love it, it would be perfect for a bed time IEM i feel

Somehow i don't feel ex500 are warm at all... i acutally find them to be quite neutral, in fact even tad to the cold side... and i think they're fairly well balanced too.

i'm wondering, if you consider ex500 to be very warm, wouldn't you consider denon c751 to be burning? XD

Jul 20, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #44 of 81
I just bought a pair of EX300s off of Ebay and i have to agree with Mark2410. They are very warm. I usually stick with sony when i buy IEMs because for me they have stood up to the traveling tha ti do and the torment that they receive. I was really expecting a lot from them when i first put them in. THe sound is there and it sounds good but it feels almost like your listening to the radio of a car, but you have you ear pressed to glass on the outside. Everything is flat and unclear. The bass is there but its not punchy. The mids are there but hard entrances are softened. And the highs sound like someone put a towel over the cymbals. very disappointed with them seeing as the $40 EX55 sounded better than these do in my opinion. Can anyone suggest a pair of in ears that I could look at in the $50 - $70 range ?

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #45 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCUCEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair of EX300s off of Ebay and i have to agree with Mark2410. They are very warm. I usually stick with sony when i buy IEMs because for me they have stood up to the traveling tha ti do and the torment that they receive. I was really expecting a lot from them when i first put them in. THe sound is there and it sounds good but it feels almost like your listening to the radio of a car, but you have you ear pressed to glass on the outside. Everything is flat and unclear. The bass is there but its not punchy. The mids are there but hard entrances are softened. And the highs sound like someone put a towel over the cymbals. very disappointed with them seeing as the $40 EX55 sounded better than these do in my opinion. Can anyone suggest a pair of in ears that I could look at in the $50 - $70 range ?

Since you bought them off of Ebay they might be fake and not sound like original EX300's at all. I bought my EX300's from the Sony Store and their sound is comparable to the Monster Turbines but with less bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back