New Sony Flash Players
May 16, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbunny
nice display, thanks for taking the time to post these!

No prob.

One more thing about the Sony... battery life is stellar. Rated at 40-50 hours. I haven't even come close to having to recharge it yet.

Now, if they only make a 4 gig version. They can do it with USB sticks, so I don't see why they can't do it with these.... of course there is always the cost issue.
frown.gif

May 16, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
what about sound stage (the software)?

It works well enough for tansferring songs to the device. I haven't really explored it b/c I use iTunes as my server.

May 16, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bungee8
Sleestack, can you host those images somewhere else? That site is out of bandwidth!

Thanks

Sorry, here's a link:

Pictures

May 20, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #39 of 68
In all the excitement the following small spoiler seems to have been missed:

The OLED display is nearly invisible in daylight. Not as bad as some (iRiver N10 comes to mind) but in broad daylight the display is virtually invisible.

Also, has anyone also mentioned that you need Sonicstage to load it?

May 20, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
In all the excitement the following small spoiler seems to have been missed:

The OLED display is nearly invisible in daylight. Not as bad as some (iRiver N10 comes to mind) but in broad daylight the display is virtually invisible.

Also, has anyone also mentioned that you need Sonicstage to load it?

I would have to disagree. If you are directly under the sun and being blinded by reflections or wearing polarized lenses, yes. In normal daylight situations, there is no problem viewing the OLED.

May 20, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 68
I'm in England. You know, the place it always rains and where we complain that we don't get enough sun. Under the English sun, the display is completely invisible. Under a cloudy but bright sky, the display is pretty hard to see.

May 20, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:

I'm in England. You know, the place it always rains and where we complain that we don't get enough sun. Under the English sun, the display is completely invisible. Under a cloudy but bright sky, the display is pretty hard to see.

Hmmm. I have been using it out under the bright sun while playing golf. I see the display just fine. It definitely is harder to see, but adequate IMO. Certainly not a reason to not get one.

May 20, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #43 of 68
No, you're absolutely right there... not a reason not to get one.

Non-drag & drop of music, especially given an inflexible piece of syncing software like Sonicstage is the reason not to get one. At least the Shuffle, the other non-drag & drop, has the smartest sync client in the business (which you can if you wished run the installation directly off the Shuffle itself without a reboot).

May 20, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

No, you're absolutely right there... not a reason not to get one.

Non-drag & drop of music, especially given an inflexible piece of syncing software like Sonicstage is the reason not to get one. At least the Shuffle, (the other non-drag & drop) has the smartest sync client in the business.

For me, Sonicstage is a non-issue. I only use it to load the Sony. I prefer creating songlists and allowing the software to pull the files from their various locations rather than looking through each folder and dropping an dragging files. I use iTunes for everything else.

May 20, 2005 at 7:50 PM Post #45 of 68
With a typical flash player user (young person) it is far more likely that he/she has a highly distributed source of music. A drag & drop player is much more useful. Given the limited capacity, it is more likely that they will be filling it on a regular basis.

The Shuffle has opened up flash players in a bigger way to a slightly > significantly older demographic whose digital music sources are unlikely to number more than two. The Sony may also be good for those sorts of people.

Display issues aside, I have one more caveat before bowing out of this thread: Don't use the included clip except to clip it inside a bag pocket or something like that. If you have it clipped in a pocket, check the player before bending over. Best actually to keep it somewhere closed up. I've already dropped and killed a couple of the E's as the clip doesn't exert enough tension to keep the mass of the player in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back