New Sony 64 GB DAP: NW-A840
Sep 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

dura

Headphoneus Supremus
Sony’s Gorgeous New A-Series Walkman Features OLED, Up To 64GB Capacity | Sony Insider

Video: Sony NW-A840 packs OLED, noise cancellation, and 64GB of flash heat, still thinnest Walkman ever

It does not have a touchscreen.
Jeez, I'm still in love with my 32GB X1060, that still feels brandnew, the only thing wrong with it is that 32 GB is not enough for my MP3 library. And I do not care for the touchscreen at all.

Update:according to the video it does have the S-master amp!
If this thing has the same stellar SQ it is tempting...and if it supports lossless compressed, then I want one!

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 209
Thanks for posting this information, Dura! This is exciting news. If it would support FLAC it would be very tempting indeed. But the price will likely be very steep...

Edit: I see that the engadget website mentions a price of $439. That's not really higher than the (American) price of the X1060, isn't it? If that's the case the European price should also be comparable to the X1060 I suppose.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 209
Yeah, it is a beauty. I love my X1060, but I never cared for the touchscreen, preferring buttons instead.
The touchscreen has to be locked to make the DAP usable, otherwise it would keep on getting activated in my pocket, switching albums at random.
And even in MP3 32 GB is not enough for me, though I suspect my library grows right into to available space and then out of it so it's probably never enough...

As for FLAC, I doubt it, there is also no mention about it in the links I put up, but we can dream. Or we can all email Sony.
I wouldn't mind another kind of compressed lossless either, but uncompressed WAV takes too much space, even at 64 GB it could only accommodate say 120 albums.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Fool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting this information, Dura! This is exciting news. If it would support FLAC it would be very tempting indeed. But the price will likely be very steep...

Edit: I see that the engadget website mentions a price of $439. That's not really higher than the (American) price of the X1060, isn't it? If that's the case the European price should also be comparable to the X1060 I suppose.

Great little topic.
And Nice work--thank you for sharing- for me this makes perfect sense though.
normal_smile .gif

Simulation pret immobilier | Taux credit immobilier de France | Calcul de financement par courtier

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it is a beauty. I love my X1060, but I never cared for the touchscreen, preferring buttons instead.
The touchscreen has to be locked to make the DAP usable, otherwise it would keep on getting activated in my pocket, switching albums at random.
And even in MP3 32 GB is not enough for me, though I suspect my library grows right into to available space and then out of it so it's probably never enough...

As for FLAC, I doubt it, there is also no mention about it in the links I put up, but we can dream. Or we can all email Sony.
I wouldn't mind another kind of compressed lossless either, but uncompressed WAV takes too much space, even at 64 GB it could only accommodate say 120 albums.

I totally understand your remarks on the touchscreen. I am not too excited about that either to be honest. It's a fingerprint-magnet too.

64 GB would suffice for me as not all my music needs to be in lossless-files imho. Some music improves more than others with lossless codecs in my experience. It could be due to poor recording too of course.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #6 of 209
OMG dura! What??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Sony only ever increase the capacity of their daps like once a year!!

And now, less than 6 months after the X release, there's going to be a [size=medium]64GB??[/size]
confused_face_2.gif

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

I don't care about the wifi anyway. It's a joke, plus I have my Touch for browsing.

Well, if it definitely has the S-master amp.... I'm getting it!!!!!!!!!!! If it sounds like the X (and I think it will), then it's a compulsory purchase. I'm down to my last 1GB of space
atsmile.gif

Hey... maybe it will have an on-the-fly playlist feature??? Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG dura! What??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Sony only ever increase the capacity of their daps like once a year!!

And now, less than 6 months after the X release, there's going to be a [size=medium]64GB??[/size]
confused_face_2.gif

Ubelievable!!!!!!!!!

I don't care about the wifi anyway. It's a joke, plus I have my Touch for browsing.

Well, if it definitely has the S-master amp.... I'm getting it!!!!!!!!!!! If it sounds like the X (and I think it will), then it's a compulsory purchase. I'm down to my last 1GB of space
atsmile.gif

Hey... maybe it will have an on-the-fly playlist feature. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

I feel for you soozieq. I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on the X yet.

Having said that: I can't wait to hear your impressions of this 64GB Sony DAP.
bigsmile_face.gif
If you could say something about the synergy with the UM3X that would be really awesome.
wink_face.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 209
this looks really nice and it has trimmed all the unwanted features from the X. this would be perfect if only it supported flac or alac
frown.gif

also i heard that the Japanese models dont have English menus.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #9 of 209
Quote:

I feel for you soozieq. I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on the X yet.

Having said that: I can't wait to hear your impressions of this 64GB Sony DAP.
bigsmile_face.gif
If you could say something about the synergy with the UM3X that would be really awesome.
wink_face.gif

Lol! I don't have the UM3X anymore
icon10.gif

Is this a Japan-only release??? I skimmed through the links really fast and didn't notice
regular_smile .gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol! I don't have the UM3X anymore
icon10.gif

Damn, I didnt read your sig well enough!
redface.gif
So you sold it in favour of the Denon IEM's? Did you hear the Westones with the Sony DAP at all? Was the synergy not that good perhaps?

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #11 of 209
Quote:

Damn, I didnt read your sig well enough!
redface.gif
So you sold it in favour of the Denon IEM's? Did you hear the Westones with the Sony DAP at all? Was the synergy not that good perhaps?

It wasn't that the UM3X plus X sounded bad at all. It's just that I'm not keen on overly forward vocals. But other people have that combination and really like it. I felt the soundstage was too small for my liking too
smile_phones.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #12 of 209
Quote:

No company with ties to the music industry will ever support FLAC unless it is done from non-oem firmware programming groups like Rockbox. However, if you want lossless, it does support ATRAC AL and WAV/PCM.

Don't look for FLAC support from the likes of Sony, Apple, Microsoft - it simply won't happen.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 209
Yeah Shigzeo, but WAV/PCM is very big, about 3 times the size of FLAC and I doubt if ATRAC wil still be supported outside Japan and the Japanese version might will probably not cary an English GUI.

But suppose ATRAC would be supported, many of us got FLAC-libraries, would it be possible to convert those the ATRAC?

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 209
Quote:

However, if you want lossless, it does support ATRAC AL and WAV/PCM.

Why do you think that it supports ATRAC?
I believe that sony dropped atrac3+ support in all of their players somewhere in 2007...

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 209
As usual no word on a US/EU/Australia release, where it would likely be known as the NWZ-A840 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back