New smart phone: HTC HD2 or Nokia n900 or Motorola Droid?
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Al4x

Headphoneus Supremus
Ive been waiting for the release of the n900 for a while, and after delay after delay its due out this month, but so are the other 2 phones, and all are really different

the n900
600MHz
maemo [linux] os
best camera
resistive touch screen,
3.5in screen
GPS

HTC HD2
1GHZ
windows mobile 6.5 + sense gui
ok camera
capacative screen
4.3 in screen
GPS

Motorola droid
550MHz
android 2
poor camera
capacitive
3.7in
lots of google services
GPS

each one has particular pluses

the massive screen and CPU on the htc, the nice OS and camera and Maemo OS on the n900 and the google services on the droid

anyone also looking at these phones,

my current phone is a 1st gen iphone

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 60
I have a Droid - how cool does that sound to say?
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyhow.. I got mine as I could use our family plan and just add the $30 for data, so no line costs for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I like it so far, it's really a small computer with a phone section to be honest. The screen is astonishingly sharp, and makes my Ipod Touch 2g look positively awful. The Headphones out is ok too, but then I'm running Westone ES3X off it and they're really easy to drive, so YMMV. Haven't tried out the GPS yet. Might give it a go in the morning. So far.. it's not a disappointing in any way.

the HTC 4.3 inch screen looks nice too.. but man that's BIG, and WM 6.5 - bleh

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #3 of 60
yeah im starting to go off the htc, only becasue of the the WM and the shots ive seen of the GUI especially in text messaging and the home screen, .. i know the weather looks nice by looking outside!

im still kinda taken by the nokia with maemo ans the ff browser and the best camera of the 3, its the screen [size and resistive] that bothers me and its thickness,

the droid i think is capacitive too, but again im not so sure about the camera or some of the GUI shots ive seen

id go for the HTC if it werent WM, id go for the droid if it looked better with better camera and GUI and the n900 if its screen were a little bigger, and it were slimmer
why oh why idid htc go for WM!! and maybe 4.3 inches is a little big for a phone

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 60
I'll probably be going with the Touch HD2 if it comes to AT&T...even though WM6.5 is something of a disappointment (running a cooked ROM of it on my LG Incite) and most people are better off using 6.1 and running SPB Mobile Shell on top of it. Nonetheless, HTC has made WM 6.5 pretty much disappear under Sense UI, and a lot of my fave applications are WM only, AFAIK, like Microfi Nitrogen and microsoft's MyPhone app finally lets me save texts, pics and notes to my PC, so I'll be sticking with WM for a while.

THat said, the Droid appears to be the Android device to beat, and I hope it does well in the market. Not sure about the N900...Nokia has really fallen behind its competitors in the smartphone arena..most people agree that it was a mistake to put the midrange S60 OS on a flagship device like the N97, which was further burdened by bad software implementation (lag, non-responsiveness, slow firmware upgrade development). Maemo is supposed to be the ace up Nokia's sleeve, but I get the feeling that developers will be moving towards Android rather than N900, due both to Nokia's slow rollout and poor app store organization. It's greatest advantage is its reasonable price and built in 32GB memory, something the HD2 could really use.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 60
it really is maemo thats attracting me to this, as well as the camera, but yeah im worried about thier store and the support the phone may get from nokia nad developers, im gonna try and have a go on all 3, but looking at more pics of the htc, the gui is terrible in places

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 60
HTC will probably release a phone similar to the HD2 on Android 2.0. Some say it's called the Dragon. [SnapDRAGON, get it?]

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 60
that snapdragon cpu is a goodun, any one of these phones couldve been perfect, but none are,

i like maemo, and the camera from the nokia, a 3.7-4 in screen would be nice, the upto a gb ram from the nokia, snap dragon cpu from the htc

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 60
Definitely hold off on the HD2 until (if and when) HTC offers an android version. The Sense doesn't really cover up anything at all, at least that's my experience with the myriad of 6.5 cooked ROMs.

Beyond that, I think it's unwise to predict something will definitely run well because it's got snapdragon, or because it's got x amount of hardware. I went through a year of buying the wrong phone (and can't take it back or sell off), and then shopping a lot of smartphones, and I don't think anything I've tried is smoother than the iPhone, be it 3G or 3GS.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #10 of 60
In a Verizon store with 2 year contract its $300 and you get a $100 mail in rebate, to just buy it flat out $599, online it can be found for $150 with a new contract.

I convinced a Verizon rep at a nearby shop to hold one for me until payday this Thursday, I'm psyched.
smily_headphones1.gif

Al4x you left out the most important DROID spec, its beautiful 480 X 854 screen
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 60
Pretty good, the screen is responsive, there's some *very* minor lag (like milliseconds) on a couple of the scrolling menus, but otherwise it's snappy as you'd want. The resolution is awesome though. I can't even look at my 2g ipod Touch screen anymore, it looks fuzzy and out of focus.

The phone's not light (reassuringly heavy I like to think), and the slide out keyboard takes some getting used to. But to me, the screen is the one to die for. Oh and the free Navigation is pretty good too (it's a little rough round the edges but it is still a beta).

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #13 of 60
gonna have to have a look at the droid, screen shots are few and far between, but its a good size screen and sharp as the nokia, these new screens are so much better than the iphone.

all those are the same price here in the uk, but im not signing a 24mth contract no way

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #14 of 60
tried the Droid and it was quite nice...i love being able to multi-task and browsing the web on the big screen works really well.
Not as slick as iphone, but not a deal-breaker...think it's more of just getting familiar with the Droid UI.
I'll most likely be ordering once my t-mobile contract ends next month.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #15 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gonna have to have a look at the droid, screen shots are few and far between, but its a good size screen and sharp as the nokia, these new screens are so much better than the iphone.

all those are the same price here in the uk, but im not signing a 24mth contract no way

Should be able to pick up the DROID / Milestone unlocked for under £400 relatively soon.

Already on Expansys, but they're always pricey - Buy a Motorola Milestone Android Smartphone (UK, QWERTY), #MILESTONE_UK - eXpansys UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back