New smart phone: HTC HD2 or Nokia n900 or Motorola Droid?
Nov 16, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #31 of 60
another notch for the Droid, Augmented reality is one of the next big apps, its an integration of the GPS, camara and geotagging, baisicly applying on a natural image of your surroundings the data from the GPS and maps using the phones camara,

and its absolutly usless without a e-compass which the N900 lacks,

a normal GPS requires a velocity vector to establish direction, in other words, it dosnt know in which direction you´re pointing unless you´re moving at a minimum speed at that vector, the ecompass eliminates that need allowing direction orientation without movement (well, if you calibrate it correctly, which i hear is a pain)

as for the touch HD2,
i just lost too much money in the past betting on windows mobile devices, im kind of reluctant to spend anymore or recommend to others that they do so, just too much disapointment from past devices,

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #32 of 60
the droid to me just looks [gui and construction] nasty, and if im laways looking at it then i want it to look nice,

im also pretty dissapointed in the reviews of the n900, and now realising the xperia is running on old 65k androind.. i dunno what to get!

at this rate i will just get a cheap £20 phone and call it quits, which will be a real backwards step, but im not dropping all that money on something i dont want

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #33 of 60
you know Android is open source right? AFAIK you can make it look like pretty much anything you want.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #34 of 60
I'd hardly call the construction of the Droid nasty.. It appears to be solidly built, not to everyones taste asthetically, but not poorly made.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #35 of 60
Nov 16, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd hardly call the construction of the Droid nasty.. It appears to be solidly built, not to everyones taste asthetically, but not poorly made.

its the nasty keyboard that puts me off, but out of the 3 [4 if you include xperia] i will have to give the n900 and droid a hands on.. glad i didnt pre order!!

if android is customizable thatd be nice

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #37 of 60
Android is very customizable. Its one of the big selling points of the OS. I'll admit I'm not too keen on the slide out keyboard myself, I'm. Sure I'll get used to it in time. I'm quicker on the landscape virtual keyboard by far.

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #38 of 60
I'm not a fan of the physical keyboard either, I just pretend it doesn't have one and use the soft keyboard in portrait.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #39 of 60
The physical keyboard is really nice when you are doing things that you really need the whole screen for (I use mine for remote access and shell access to computers I work on, so the keyboard is critical). It's also better for typing complex passwords.

For me the droid is just outstanding for it's internet functionality... if you're a fan of google apps, then android is a great choice. gmail and gtalk work great, the browser is top notch (renders the same as safari on my ipod, but seems to crash less) there's nice third party tools for google reader (NewsRob) that beat what I have used on my ipod touch hands down, and for people in the US, google voice's tight integration is really powerful. Not to mention being able to multi-task all that functionality makes it significantly more functional for doing "real work" than the iphone.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if it was already said, but driod makes a wierd popping noise at max volume in left channel.

I haven't noticed this, but then, even with my k81dj's, max volume on the droid is into notable hearing damage range. If your headphones require you pushing it to max volume, you should probably be using an amp anyway.

I just tried briefly with some classical at max and got no popping.

At normal volumes I haven't noticed any problems. As for audio quality, it's decent. I'll use it, though I think the recent gen touch and nano are better.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't noticed this, but then, even with my k81dj's, max volume on the droid is into notable hearing damage range. If your headphones require you pushing it to max volume, you should probably be using an amp anyway.

I just tried briefly with some classical at max and got no popping.

At normal volumes I haven't noticed any problems. As for audio quality, it's decent. I'll use it, though I think the recent gen touch and nano are better.

We tried two examples of the phone. It does it. Try it with something that has bass. The popping on grado's can be heard from well outside the can, and it's specifically the left channel.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #44 of 60
Doesn't happen on my Droid, and i've been using it sinve day one. However, I have all my music wav (replay) gained down to a nice 89db for consistency. It's possible that you have some music with clipping in that's causing it. I've tried my droid with MS1, HF2, ES3X and Westone 3's and none of them produce a popping noise. Clipping + Bass + Max volume is probably the issue here.. Dont play it at max volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back